112 cab : the retro surfer

What's Hot
Just finished this 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So I wanted a cabinet for home playing and decided to build one.
    Wanted it to look more like furniture than gig gear so there we go :)
    Speaker is a Jensen C12q, good thing it’s light because the cabinet is heavy as f***

I copied the dimensions of the H&K 112 cab since I will be using it with my Black spirit 200.

It’s a bit too late to try it now but will try and give it a blast in the next couple of days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    That looks great.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    That's really cool, and certainly does look like a nice piece of furniture/art to have in a room.
    Have you got any more details on the build? It's something I'd like to try at some point too.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Sure, here are a couple more pics to see the construction, I made very simple joints with plywood for corner braces and direct gluing, see pic.
    There are also plywood bits all around to screw into, I could have used pine there to save weight but it was easier to order it precut to right dimensions, I did have to recut a bit here and there though when the fit was too tight.

I cut the hole for the speaker with a jigsaw and got the hardware ( feet, handle, jack socket ) from hot rox uk, speaker from Thomann.
    The front panel is screwed from the inside using a long handle screwdriver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited September 2019
    The colour is milk paint and a couple of coats of wipe on poly to seal and protect.
    The sides and front are 12mm ply, which makes it heavy but also more surface to glue. 
    Back is 9mm ply wood I think.

Edit: I should mention that I ordered most of the plywood from “cut my plastic”, and while it wasn’t cheap, it was very high quality plywood and accurately cut.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    That's a really nice cabinet finish. Well done :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM, means a lot coming from you :)
    Hopefully will put it through its paces tomorrow.
  • Initial impressions on low volume test is that it sounds very nice - pretty smooth and balanced, though maybe lacking a bit of bass at low volume, seems to get better a bit louder.
    Will update with more when I’ve tested it proper loud.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

certainly looks very classy

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    edited September 2019
    I did something very similar with some old pine that someone had chucked away. Mine has a C12N, is closed back and it has oodles of bass, so maybe close yours in if you're looking for more.
  • Yeah I’m using it closed, I think it’s just the nature of the speaker, also it’s sitting on top of a rack shelf rather than on the floor which probably contributes to it. 
    I can compensate with the amp since it has a post preamp bass control so it’s not a problem.