Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618
    edited September 2019
    BTW – like the Oz Noy demo. Good get @rossyamaha !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting. I kinda thought THR would be no more post the merger, with Line 6 and their various modelling options becoming Yamaha’s amp modelling offering. 
  • I do understand people’s issue with price but remember the previous version has been around 8 years. This has basically been redesigned from the ground up (hate that phrase but it has). With added features like Bluetooth, built in battery and built in wireless receiver, this all adds up quickly. Plus, the R&d that actually had to go into it in the first place. Oh, and it’s a proper metal box with super duper speakers in specifically designed for this amp. All of this does bump the cost up but what you get is arguable the best playing experience. 

What we originally intended to do with THR was to create a quick and easy practice solution for a player that has all the gear, knows great tone and is used to a certain feel. I’m doing this we created not just the first desktop amp, but something that looks, sounds and feels amazing and can live comfortably in any part of the house. Not just a black box with some sounds in it. We wanted to create an experience and make playing guitar at home fun. I see this said time and time again that people who own a THR have never played so much since they got it. I was the same. There are tons of practice amps on the market, we even make some of the best selling ones (Spider). None of them give me the playing experience that the THRs do. 
    Interesting market price point here, if the top end one is > £500

It means that the desktop praccy amp category now has candidates starting at £50 for the basic but basically decent Blackstar Fly 3, though the Blackstar Core Beam at £220, Vox Handbag at £230, and now Yamaha (the original and still the kings...?) going from about £175 for the THR5 to the new range going up to £535.

I suspect given what many are dropping on guitars, there is enough of a market here to make a £535 desktop praccy amp a reasonable success.

Let's face it, "THR10 but a bit better" is pretty damn good.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    edited September 2019
    Bilge!!!!
    I have just bought a 3 month old Katana Artist to use at home and for very infrequent jams.
    Now these have turned up...

What to do..... move the Katana on or stick with?
    Decisions, Decisions.....

• I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Andertons have popped up the vid...

Pete could make any rig sound good, but that is impressive!

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andertons have popped up the vid...

Pete could make any rig sound good, but that is impressive!

I can't begin to tell you how much fun this was. I was sat behind the camera in tears for about 2 hours. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I do understand people’s issue with price but remember the previous version has been around 8 years. This has basically been redesigned from the ground up (hate that phrase but it has). With added features like Bluetooth, built in battery and built in wireless receiver, this all adds up quickly. Plus, the R&d that actually had to go into it in the first place. Oh, and it’s a proper metal box with super duper speakers in specifically designed for this amp. All of this does bump the cost up but what you get is arguable the best playing experience. 

What we originally intended to do with THR was to create a quick and easy practice solution for a player that has all the gear, knows great tone and is used to a certain feel. I’m doing this we created not just the first desktop amp, but something that looks, sounds and feels amazing and can live comfortably in any part of the house. Not just a black box with some sounds in it. We wanted to create an experience and make playing guitar at home fun. I see this said time and time again that people who own a THR have never played so much since they got it. I was the same. There are tons of practice amps on the market, we even make some of the best selling ones (Spider). None of them give me the playing experience that the THRs do. 
    I get all that (honestly I do)- but for me at around £500 I won't buy one when I could instead get a used Princeton that works great as a home amp plus I can gig it.
    I get that they are completely different form factors and have different capabilities but faced with a choice to spend £500 on a THR or buy a used Princeton I'd go the Fender.
    Maybe I am not the target market?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope... Not for me. 
    No doubt it sounds great, but l don't
    care how much you butter it up..... 
    £535 for a practice amp for the bedroom is taking the piss... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope... Not for me. 
    Not really. I know a guy on this very forum whos practice rig is a Two Rock into an OX Box. It's like saying $3m for a Bugatti is taking the piss when my Kia does just fine. 

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Nope... Not for me. 
    Not really. I know a guy on this very forum whos practice rig is a Two Rock into an OX Box. It's like saying $3m for a Bugatti is taking the piss when my Kia does just fine. 
    My current practice rig is a Louis Electric Roadrunner, previously it was Two Rock, and before that it was a 65 Amps Soho.

The point is though that you can gig those amps, so the practice rig is also the gigging rig.
    At around £500 you can get a much more versatile amp, rather than 'just' a home practice amp.
    At £300 the THR would be a no-brainer.
    At £500 it is definitely not a no-brainer and would really be difficult for me to justify- I'll likely wait for one to turn up used.

IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I do understand people’s issue with price but remember the previous version has been around 8 years. This has basically been redesigned from the ground up (hate that phrase but it has). With added features like Bluetooth, built in battery and built in wireless receiver, this all adds up quickly. Plus, the R&d that actually had to go into it in the first place. Oh, and it’s a proper metal box with super duper speakers in specifically designed for this amp. All of this does bump the cost up but what you get is arguable the best playing experience. 

I get all that (honestly I do)- but for me at around £500 I won't buy one when I could instead get a used Princeton that works great as a home amp plus I can gig it.
    I get that they are completely different form factors and have different capabilities but faced with a choice to spend £500 on a THR or buy a used Princeton I'd go the Fender.
    Actually, you are the target market. Because you will get that Princeton to go along with your nice head/ cab and boutique combo. THR was always intended for the more discerning player. It just so happens that it appealed to a much wider audience than expected.

Basically, people that play valve amps live and even at home have a certain feel they expect. Not just the tone but the feel. Most modeling/ practice amps just don't give you the same feel. The can sound great but they don't feel as nice as what you're used to. These always have. Add all the other useful stuff in and you have a great piece of gear. Again, I have nice stuff at home. Sat behind me are 3 really nice valve amps. I have more coming in the next month. What will I play most? THR. I also have Spider, Amplifi and Helix set up. I will still play the THR. There's just something you can't put your finger on. It's addictive. 500 quid for the amp you will probably play everyday and more than any other amp is pretty good in my opinion. Yes I'm biased. ;-)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

Actually, you are the target market. Because you will get that Princeton to go along with your nice head/ cab and boutique combo. THR was always intended for the more discerning player. It just so happens that it appealed to a much wider audience than expected.

Basically, people that play valve amps live and even at home have a certain feel they expect. Not just the tone but the feel. Most modeling/ practice amps just don't give you the same feel. The can sound great but they don't feel as nice as what you're used to. These always have. Add all the other useful stuff in and you have a great piece of gear. Again, I have nice stuff at home. Sat behind me are 3 really nice valve amps. I have more coming in the next month. What will I play most? THR. I also have Spider, Amplifi and Helix set up. I will still play the THR. There's just something you can't put your finger on. It's addictive. 500 quid for the amp you will probably play everyday and more than any other amp is pretty good in my opinion. Yes I'm biased. ;-)
    And at £300 I would buy it without thinking- done deal.
    £500 is not a done deal.
    It is just too expensive for what it gives me, especially given the used Princeton won't depreciate like a digital amp will.
    My £500 Princeton will always be worth £500.
    A £500 THR will be worth £300 in 12 months, which is probably when I will buy one.

IMHO and YMMV of course.

I'm not busting your balls here- I appreciate you being here and being candid, I'm just relaying how I would approach this particular problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

And at £300 I would buy it without thinking- done deal.
    £500 is not a done deal.
    It is just too expensive for what it gives me, especially given the used Princeton won't depreciate like a digital amp will.
    My £500 Princeton will always be worth £500.
    A £500 THR will be worth £300 in 12 months, which is probably when I will buy one.

IMHO and YMMV of course.

I'm not busting your balls here- I appreciate you being here and being candid, I'm just relaying how I would approach this particular problem.
    Mate, I do get it. I really really do and I value everyones opinion. I was talking to a guy earlier thats already put his order in for a 30 so I guess like everything, it's what the value is to you as a player. Mind you, the 10II non wireless is being listed at 349. Not too far off. ;-)

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I don’t mind the £500 as such, there’s plenty of home only players who want the best experience (I’m one of those guilty as charged, play a Carr Rambler into an UA OX and headphones, a stupidly extravagant rig for its use case). For me though, looks like the money’s gone on feature set, rather than making a bigger deal of the sound. Just taste though, most loved the sound of the original THR, but I didn’t get on with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I don’t mind the £500 as such, there’s plenty of home only players who want the best experience (I’m one of those guilty as charged, play a Carr Rambler into an UA OX and headphones, a stupidly extravagant rig for its use case). For me though, looks like the money’s gone on feature set, rather than making a bigger deal of the sound. Just taste though, most loved the sound of the original THR, but I didn’t get on with it.
    We have tweaked things for this one. You may like it more. More wattage as well gives more headroom so it is definitely tighter. Give one a blast when they hit stores. 

• Still Nope. 
    You are trying hard... 10/10.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Have a THR10c and very pleased. So, the questions on my mind, are:

Are the internals (components) similar to the previous models? 
    What improvements have been made to the modelling quality? 
    Is there an iPad app?