Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Interesting step forward.   When the  bigger thr was released I had wished for something more like the original with more volume so I could use it to rehearse and jam so I like the idea of 30w depending how loud that actually works out.  

Before the bluetooth and wireless less upgrades I would have preferred a simple foot switch to jump between the presets.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tough crowd on here tonight @rossyamaha , must admit I spilt my Horlicks after reading the price  =)
    “Ken sent me.”
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tough crowd on here tonight @rossyamaha , must admit I spilt my Horlicks after reading the price  =)
    I’ve had worse. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    Have a THR10c and very pleased. So, the questions on my mind, are:

Are the internals (components) similar to the previous models? 
    What improvements have been made to the modelling quality? 
    Is there an iPad app?
    The components will be different but of equal quality. 
    Not sure about improvements in the models but they have been tweaked. i guess that’s for you to decide. 
    App is now live on the App Store. iPad compatible. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    I realise Pete could make a box and an elastic band sound good but it sounded pretty cool in the video. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690
    edited September 2019
    'Making playing guitar at home fun'. I appreciate the marketing angle but I've had fun playing guitar at home for 30 years. 

Price wise if you have to charge what you are charging then possibly it's an issue of whether the market will support that or not. 

All desktop amps are a compromise compared a proper amp.Usually offset by inexpensiveness. 

So this seems a bit of a gamble. 

Wish you all the best with it though. Hope it does great. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Yamaha must be shitting themselves now due to a few folk here thinking the prices are too much...

How much did the original THR10 cost when launched?   Can’t have been much less than the £319 the MKII is being advertised at?

and yet they have managed to sell plenty of them over the years.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Sounds good in that demo. I wasn’t hugely taken by the THR10 I played a while ago but I think that was more down to the pushy salesman trying to get his sales bollocks done rather than just letting me play with it. Nice to have all the sounds in one unit now as I could never decide which one I should get. Might be a bit redundant now I’ve got a Stomp though!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    dbphoto said:
    Yamaha must be shitting themselves now due to a few folk here thinking the prices are too much...

How much did the original THR10 cost when launched?   Can’t have been much less than the £319 the MKII is being advertised at?

Just looked - mine was £259 in November 2011, that may have included a delivery charge.

I'm very late hearing about these, just happened to stumble on the Andertons video last night.  There is a LOT of comment about the pricing, I have to say.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    dbphoto said:

I appreciate that things are more expensive now, pound weaker etc but it has gone up like 50%.  I appreciate that there are “tweaks” but they are just tweaks and the workaround with a cable do not warrant the extra cost for me, especially if you already have an original.  I am not sure I think more power is the answer if this is meant to be a practice amp.  I don’t actually need more power.

On one hand I say that £300 would have been my limit, actual cost isn’t a problem, I have a Lazy J and Bogner and I only muck around with it at home, it’s not about the cost, it’s about the value.  I simply don’t see it as a value proposition.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited September 2019
    50% ??

£259 for a THR10 in 2011 and £319 (as listed at GuitarGuitar) for the MKII now is not a 50% difference.

Not that it matters to me as the cost is irrelevant.  I wouldn’t buy one as I think they are fugly.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Seems to me that price, value and product level are all a bit interlocked here. 

The majority of peeps that buy these things don’t want entry level, so almost immediately skip over the base model. Which is almost certainly the most suited to core task. 

The most interesting part of the video to me was the line “Everyone’s HAD a THR10” 

Does that mean we’ll all have the mkii or are we done? I do like the idea of wireless, the built in battery and a nice easy app but I have absolutely no need for this amp. I’d be far far more tempted to convince myself I want one if it wasn’t beige. I can only guess that’s all about keeping neutral for ‘other half’ approval? 

If some more creative, stylish or elegant options appear, I suspect I’ll get far more interested 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5466
    I think we're going to see bundle deals on these. Asking £500+ for a home amp but having to shell out another £80 to make use of one of the key headline new features is a bit of a cheek. If the wireless models came with a G10t in the box so you can go wireless straight away then the price might make a bit more sense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    DiscoStu said:
    I think we're going to see bundle deals on these. Asking £500+ for a home amp but having to shell out another £80 to make use of one of the key headline new features is a bit of a cheek. If the wireless models came with a G10t in the box so you can go wireless straight away then the price might make a bit more sense.

I’m sure Yamaha don’t need to rush sales on this and will measure it’s success on units bought over the lifetime of the product. So why not start with the price at the very top and then add value/reduce cost over time. 

They’ll get enough of us in the long run I reckon ;)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I'm happy to try it for the proof of the pudding. Whatever the price point. I guess the THR10X was targeted at me, but it didn't give me the response I need. I'll await a Will It Chug? from Ola Englund for rhythm, but for lead I need to get my own fingers in the mix.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12344
    dazzajl said:
    Seems to me that price, value and product level are all a bit interlocked here. 

The majority of peeps that buy these things don’t want entry level, so almost immediately skip over the base model. Which is almost certainly the most suited to core task. 

The most interesting part of the video to me was the line “Everyone’s HAD a THR10” 

Does that mean we’ll all have the mkii or are we done? I do like the idea of wireless, the built in battery and a nice easy app but I have absolutely no need for this amp. I’d be far far more tempted to convince myself I want one if it wasn’t beige. I can only guess that’s all about keeping neutral for ‘other half’ approval? 

If some more creative, stylish or elegant options appear, I suspect I’ll get far more interested 
    My THR5 is allowed on display in the lounge as missus munckee thinks its cute.  If it was black I suspect it would be in a cupboard.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whilst I appreciate being able to see new gear online in a demo very quickly, mainly due to how Andertons are such a large part of the progression of this type of marketing, it never once has swayed me to buy anything.

I am extremely cynical in this sense because I know ultimately, someone is just doing it to line their pockets, no matter what we all think. It was like the 'your pal Peter has a purple Tele and that means you need one too'.

Pete/Rob/Rabea/Lee etc may all be pretty good players but not one of them makes me think 'he has that guitar so I want one'. I am probably not the target market though.

The comment of 'everyone has had a THR10' - really? 

The two people I can watch and not get irritated by are Andy Martin (really interesting style of playing) and surprisingly, Josh / JHS. This might be because they are a little more 'out there' and play riffs instead of Dad Rock/Dad Blues. Who knows. 

I do think £500+ and then a receiver is pushing it. Sorry. I have some wonderful bass and guitar equipment, and I know why the original THR was a hit, but personally, in that scenario I would get a Boss Katana of some sort and keep the change. Then be able to gig with it. 

Also, the TH30 is $500 in the USA. We are getting stung again. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • So a couple of things. 

The focus is obviously on the price. I get that. It costs more. But, the focus is also seemingly on the price of the 30. Yes that is a decent increase on what people have been used to but if we're doing a like for like, the regular 10 vs the new 10II isn't a big increase and you now get bluetooth, more watts (headroom) and 3 times the amount of amp models as well as other useful functionality like an IOS/ Android app. The 30 is more expensive because it's, well more. More costs more. 

I won't bleat on and defend the price. It is what it is and no the exchange rate isn't doing anyone any favours. The only thing that might make sense is my own experience with THR as a product range and what I've said a few times and what I see time and time again. With a THR in the house (old or new), you for whatever reason play more guitar. A comment earlier about the marketing going the direction of making guitar playing fun isn't what we're saying. What I'm saying is playing through one of these is fun. It is more fun than playing through any of my other gear including Helix 4cm wet dry with a boogie and a twin. I don't know why, it just is and always has been. No marketing, no official line, just my experience. 

If you look at this as potentially the piece of gear you will play the most out of everything you own, more than any guitar or amp or pedal, surely thats worth a few quid? 

I'll be here to answer questions, give my opinion on the product (and it will be my opinion and nothing else regardless of who I work for, you guys/ gals deserve that respect) but I won't make any more comment on how much it costs. I'll leave that for you lot to discuss. 

Peace and love and good happiness stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690

If you look at this as potentially the piece of gear you will play the most out of everything you own, more than any guitar or amp or pedal, surely thats worth a few quid? 
    That's a pretty big 'If'. 

I sold my Katana Mini because I got a lot more pleasure out of playing my proper amp plus an attenuator and the Katana was gathering dust 

Not meaning to be a dick about it because your company have the right to release a product at whatever price point they like and I'm not even saying they are overpriced - just that they are positioned above one target demographic and below the other. And also you (I assume) are not the boss of pricing and would rather talk about a product you obviously believe in. 

So I'll shush about it from now as well. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Interesting being cable free is a big attraction - maintaining the beige colour isn’t. Someone else on here described it as hearing aid colour.

As it’s pitched as a lifestyle product - white, silver, grey or black would be a smarter choice. 
    Previously known as stevebrum