Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited September 2019
    So a couple of things. 

The focus is obviously on the price. I get that. It costs more. But, the focus is also seemingly on the price of the 30. Yes that is a decent increase on what people have been used to but if we're doing a like for like, the regular 10 vs the new 10II isn't a big increase and you now get bluetooth, more watts (headroom) and 3 times the amount of amp models as well as other useful functionality like an IOS/ Android app. 
    But the Vox Adio Air GT has all that already and is cheaper than the old THR models, plus arguably sounds better. More than 15 amp models, more power (quoted as 50W, but caveat emptor) bluetooth and a crazy good app with preset storage aplenty.

I'm not trying to rubbish the THR series (I truly think the THR product is great) but the price/value thing is what will stop me buying one of the new ones until they come down significantly.  I don't mind too much that the product hasn't evolved massively (but still think it could have done with more presets and amp models) but other than the wireless it seems to just be catching up with something like the Vox.  I know the THR now has wireless, and the THR is (imo) a way better sounding amp than the Katana Air which also has function, but all of the above features could (and in my opinion, should) have been brought to market at a more competitive price, or much sooner than now.

Saying all that, can't really blame yamaha for putting it out there and testing what the market will bear, but if this had happened a year or two ago it would have made more sense.  Or maybe if enough of us hadn't already been ticked off by the 'which model THR do I buy' thing, when clearly there were many users crying out for access via firnware updates etc to extra amp models - which we would all have been happy to pay for as software, rather than buying each of those three boxes over time.  The product was so good, in my opinion, that I bought all three in spite of myself (not all at once!), but then Vox showed how unnecessary that business model was and I am reluctant now to throw another load of money Yamaha's way, when all I seem to be getting - over the Vox - is the wireless functionality and a (slightly) less ugly case. Oh, and possibly some 'tweaked' versions of the amp models I had before. I hope this isn't a missed opportunity on Yamaha's part - other than the new 30 model I don't see many players upgrading from existing THR units or similar, just for the wireless or extra power.  If the price drops that may change.    

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    octatonic said:
    I do understand people’s issue with price but remember the previous version has been around 8 years. This has basically been redesigned from the ground up (hate that phrase but it has). With added features like Bluetooth, built in battery and built in wireless receiver, this all adds up quickly. Plus, the R&d that actually had to go into it in the first place. Oh, and it’s a proper metal box with super duper speakers in specifically designed for this amp. All of this does bump the cost up but what you get is arguable the best playing experience. 

What we originally intended to do with THR was to create a quick and easy practice solution for a player that has all the gear, knows great tone and is used to a certain feel. I’m doing this we created not just the first desktop amp, but something that looks, sounds and feels amazing and can live comfortably in any part of the house. Not just a black box with some sounds in it. We wanted to create an experience and make playing guitar at home fun. I see this said time and time again that people who own a THR have never played so much since they got it. I was the same. There are tons of practice amps on the market, we even make some of the best selling ones (Spider). None of them give me the playing experience that the THRs do. 
    I get all that (honestly I do)- but for me at around £500 I won't buy one when I could instead get a used Princeton that works great as a home amp plus I can gig it.
    I get that they are completely different form factors and have different capabilities but faced with a choice to spend £500 on a THR or buy a used Princeton I'd go the Fender.
    Maybe I am not the target market?
    But at home you can only use a tiny bit of the Princeton’s capability unless you are happy to piss everybody off.  These are designed to sound excellent at low volume whereas, IMO, a Princeton is too loud on 2 indoors and doesn’t sound like much until about 5 on the dial which is simply way too loud.
    so no, you’re probably not the target market.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Since the original THR, the market for home amps or 'amps you can gig with that can also sound good at home' has changed dramatically. There are plenty of amps (or modellers etc) that sound great at low volume now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

Apologies in advance for another negative post, but there's a cosmetic detail on the THR-II which is really annoying me now that I've seen it....

That Yamaha badge in the top left corner.  It overlaps the Y-shaped holes in the chassis.  It looks terrible.  Why not give it a dedicated space in the middle like on the THRs, or put it in that big empty space on the top behind the handle?

Image result for yamaha thrii

• I prefer the aesthetics of the original THRs, but then again I own a Vox (ugly as all hell) Handbag Adio so looks aren't everything to me.  Wifey tolerates it. 

But for me, the 'Y' shape things in the grill are a bit fugly.  

I will still probably end up with a THRII eventually, but my initial excitement is tempered by the points in my earlier post. 
  • Comparisons with other amps that maybe do more, sound better, cost less or whatever go out the window unless you and your partner/family are happy having 'backline' in the living room.  That's where the THR's score - it doesn't look out of place domestically which is a deal breaker for many.  If you can accommodate a Katana next to your telly then that's great.  If your neighbours don't mind you cranking up a valve amp to the sweet spot then you're very lucky!  The THR's hit a good compromise of sound/features/domestic acceptability that is perhaps unique and comes at a price and hence makes an apples vs oranges situation when trying to compare with other amps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Comparisons with other amps that maybe do more, sound better, cost less or whatever go out the window unless you and your partner/family are happy having 'backline' in the living room.  That's where the THR's score - it doesn't look out of place domestically which is a deal breaker for many. 

Some of the other amps aren't really 'backline' in aesthetic though....especially the smaller ones. Black, maybe, and maybe not that exciting, but if we are in a world in 2019 and men/women have to worry about something for music fitting into a house aesthetic, then we are in trouble! Not saying you do....but for me I couldn't care less. 

My house is being built and I don't currently live with my partner (I did with my ex for many years). To be honest the beige wouldn't match anything I'm going for, but if I wanted one I wouldn't let it put me off. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited September 2019
    I like to see a design like the Bogner Atma head, Beige, nothing is beige these days, all black or or white blends in more.  

I am surprised Marshall hasn’t joined in with this, they already make the cabs and speaker in their smart speaker range in the Acton/Stanmore, they only need the electronics emulation inside and BAM!
  • I prefer the aesthetics of the original THRs

I agree with this. It's a small point but I see what you mean. 

The Y's are like subliminal advertising. 

• I prefer the aesthetics of the original THRs

I agree with this. It's a small point but I see what you mean. 

The Y's are like subliminal advertising. 

https://i.imgur.com/MTukJKr.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

On the way to work in the morning I pass a branch of Itsu and there's a bloke who looks like Kenny Craig - but with more Alex Hutchings hair - who's always sitting in the same window seat.

I thought the Alex Hutchings thing gave it a Yamaha connection, but he demos Boss stuff doesn't he?

• Philly_Q said:

On the way to work in the morning I pass a branch of Itsu and there's a bloke who looks like Kenny Craig - but with more Alex Hutchings hair - who's always sitting in the same window seat.

I thought the Alex Hutchings thing gave it a Yamaha connection, but he demos Boss stuff doesn't he?

Yeah Alex is a Roland/ Boss guy. He knows all the wrong notes too. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    Needs a Johnny DeMarco demo video. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Comparisons with other amps that maybe do more, sound better, cost less or whatever go out the window unless you and your partner/family are happy having 'backline' in the living room.  That's where the THR's score - it doesn't look out of place domestically which is a deal breaker for many.  If you can accommodate a Katana next to your telly then that's great.  If your neighbours don't mind you cranking up a valve amp to the sweet spot then you're very lucky!  The THR's hit a good compromise of sound/features/domestic acceptability that is perhaps unique and comes at a price and hence makes an apples vs oranges situation when trying to compare with other amps.

The Vox Adio and Katana Air are what I would consider directly comparable, in terms of size and aesthetics.  Both were almost certainly inspired completely by the THR.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I had 10C  but sold it as I needed a smallish  bar type  amp .I have a DV Little jazz and a Fender Champion 40  now . which I keep round my friends house as he isnt worried about noise. I do like the Yams though and keep wondering about a new THR5 even though I find my Blackstar Fly rocks its little  socks off .The new amps look great but are too much in both spec and price for me

The Vox Adio and Katana Air are what I would consider directly comparable, in terms of size and aesthetics.  Both were almost certainly inspired completely by the THR.
    Katana Air defintely inspired by, but black and less 'domestic'.  Vox Adio picked up the concept but was either styled by committee or no-one at all and hence is just f'ugly.

I appreciate that where living room aesthetics and 'no backline' is a strong purchase criteria that the THR may not work with every choice of interior, it's surely better than most of the other low power guitar amp options in features and sound vs appearance.

Katana Air defintely inspired by, but black and less 'domestic'.  Vox Adio picked up the concept but was either styled by committee or no-one at all and hence is just f'ugly.

I appreciate that where living room aesthetics and 'no backline' is a strong purchase criteria that the THR may not work with every choice of interior, it's surely better than most of the other low power guitar amp options in features and sound vs appearance.
    I'm not sure I understand your last sentence where you say the THR is 'surely better....' etc.

You don't mean on features, right?

Because sure, the Vox looks awful, but it's streets ahead of the original THR units in terms of features. Many also think it sounds better. 

The new THR now has Bluetooth, and an app, but still has less amp models and less power, but costs a lot more.  There is now an option for wireless, of course, but again at additional cost.

Again I don't want to be seen as a THR hater because I do really love them, they sound great and they pioneered the format. I just wonder if they could have done more, or charged less, for the new generation models.  

Maybe the absence of many real contenders, beyond the Vox, means they are confident they have the market mostly cornered.  

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence where you say the THR is 'surely better....' etc.

You don't mean on features, right?

Because sure, the Vox looks awful, but it's streets ahead of the original THR units in terms of features. Many also think it sounds better. 

No I mean it's better at, what I assume it to be designed for, which is to be a home guitar amp that sits happily in a domestic environment.  I'm sure there are plenty of other amps that sound better or have more features or are cheaper or all of those things.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    Andertons have their prices up.
    10 £299
    10 Wireless £399
    30 Wireless £499
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am an ex THR10c user and now own an Adio.

Asthetically, the THR nailed it last time round on the C. Much prettier in black or blue whatever it was and could easily sit on the table at home. The Adio by contrast is ugly and gets put out of sight after playing. 

Side by side the Adio is more powerful, has a wider stereo image and the modelling is improved. I like the Bluetooth functionality although it's range is crap. It is louder than the 10c but to say its 50w, I think the cabinet or speaker gives up before full volume. I can't get it over halfway if using as a playback speaker as the cone gives up with bottom end.

I thought long about the THR 212 but the lack of presets put me off. I wanted Yamaha to evolve that. 

I'm not sure the II will mean I go back to the THR, the 30 being more expensive, and in that sickly beige colour. Im a bit of a Yamaha fan but I think this one misses the target, certainly at the higher end.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom