Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    I'm definitely not the target market for this, but don't really have a problem with the prices.

I'd pay that if it was what I wanted, and the previous generation certainly seem reliable enough, also, the pound is on its arse at the moment, which is relevent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my case what @rossyamaha said rings true. My Thr is the most used piece of kit I have ever had. I have a valve amp, but the ten minutes here, ten minutes there that I get these days it's just too much faff. Thr on, noodle, off again, great. I think I may be the target audience. The wireless thing will be great! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The afterthought stuck on badge at top left, over where one of the 4 screw heads would be, would irritate the hell out of me! It might seem a trivial thing but could you see Sonos or Apple doing anything so amateurish?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22767
    edited September 2019
    The afterthought stuck on badge at top left, over where one of the 4 screw heads would be, would irritate the hell out of me! It might seem a trivial thing but could you see Sonos or Apple doing anything so amateurish?
    I mentioned that earlier.  Once noticed, hard to un-notice.  It is badly thought out, especially since the previous generation of THRs had a dedicated place in the middle of the front grille for the badge.  It would be OK if they just had a bigger area in that corner for the badge - but even that's hard to achieve tidily with the Y-shaped perforations.  

Still quite tempted to get one, though... the prices don't really put me off, although I think they should bundle in the wireless thingy, it would be a nice gesture.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    The wireless plugin is an extra £80...
  • To go against the grain, I don’t think £400 for the wireless 10 is a daft increase over the original price, which was generally around £275, considering how weak the pound is. It would be naive to think Yamaha would take a hit for us brits while we sort Brexit out. Packaging it with the transmitter would be a good move though I agree. 

@rossyamaha you mention this was designed with the AV engineers - is there any scope that the two wireless models might support the MusicCast app/functionality so it can be used as part of a multiroom setup? Having gone down the Yamaha route for home audio that would be a big plus in my books, but I appreciate the crossover of guitar players and multiroom audio users might be a limited one. Would be a good way to get others into it...

Final thought - I use my THR10 almost every day, it does make me play more guitar, sounds great, and because it looks the way it does it gets to stay in the living room with no hassle whatsoever. If it were black or looked like the Vox thing it would not be there, and then it wouldn’t matter which was better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a THR 10C that traded away in a bundle that made it easier to move something else on.  I was going to buy another because it was so handy for practicing. As @jellybelly mentions it is so easy to use if you find yourself with a spare 10 minutes.

I am going to pre-order from Andertons.  Bluetooth connection and an app for deep editing are great upgrades.

Some of the comments about price are hilarious.  £300 is a bargain compared to some fuzzboxes.  

The demo that sold me on the THR10C was John Herrington's.  The slight faff he has with editing the knee on the rack compressor should all be on the app now. 
  • Hmm, I kind of want one of these now. I often find myself not switching on my valve amp if I just pick up a guitar in passing. So I do too much playing unplugged. They sound damn good on the videos.

Price of the base model is the same as the old one, adjusted for inflation, which everyone always seems to forget about. The middle one in the range seems like less good value, which is a classic marketing technique to drive sales of the top end model. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I will wait until someone do a bundle with the G10t and save a little bit.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Søren Andersen: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAvdODByCk

I still want a reverse headstock Pacifica like his, but the tones are not doing it for me. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love the idea.
    But £500 for an amp I can't gig? I couldn't do it - no matter how good it sounds. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    It is too expensive, has features that I’ll never use , I don’t play anything other than Acoustics at home so I have no need for one whatsoever ... 

I’ll probably buy one. 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The creamy beige colour is reminiscent of 70s bathroom suites. When will they be bringing out special editions in avocado or chocolate brown?
  • Love the idea.
    But £500 for an amp I can't gig? I couldn't do it - no matter how good it sounds. 
    Yep, I’m sadly in this position too
  • Well if anyone wants to check them out, I'll be at Yamaha Music London this afternoon for a couple of hours from about 3.30 and I'm at PMT Birmingham on Saturday from 10 till 4. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Lets be fair, there is a silent (this time at least) large section of the fretboard populace who have never been near a gig (as a player), own 30k worth of guitars, to whom £500 is piss-all.

I suspect therein lies the target market.  While there are people willing to spend 7k on a Les Paul made to look like a 60yr old Les Paul, with authentic plastics and hide-glue, £500 for a praccy amp is a relative bargain!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    darthed1981 said:
     While there are people willing to spend 7k on a Les Paul made to look like a 60yr old Les Paul, with authentic plastics and hide-glue, £500 for a praccy amp is a relative bargain!

It's not a bargain if compared to the venerable Harley Benton  (with obligatory upgraded pickups).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbe said:
    darthed1981 said:
     While there are people willing to spend 7k on a Les Paul made to look like a 60yr old Les Paul, with authentic plastics and hide-glue, £500 for a praccy amp is a relative bargain!

It's not a bargain if compared to the venerable Harley Benton  (with obligatory upgraded pickups).
    Well that is a good point, and thank you for mentioning it ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    It's more like £600 if you want it to be wireless, so you're still going to opt for the Katana Artist, because you can actually gig it as well. I like Yamaha products but some of the prices have sky rocketed over recent years - I remember when the SG1802 was £1300 and now it's like £2300+.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22767
    Lets be fair, there is a silent (this time at least) large section of the fretboard populace who have never been near a gig (as a player), own 30k worth of guitars, to whom £500 is piss-all.

Yep, but I haven't been silent.  And I still think £500 is quite a lot for what it is.  I have disposable income but I don't go throwing it around like Paul Pogba in a car showroom.