My band's Youtube Content & live feedback?

Hi all,

My band have recently begun adding content to Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuAyfP1k1BRs4nPQ65kXEA

So far it's just a bunch of videos we made of the set from our recent Manchester Academy gig. How do you guys use your YT channels - my feeling is it's more or less for video storage, so they can be easily linked to/embedded elsewhere rather than a social channel in its own right. Correct me if I'm wrong though. 

Also, any feedback on the tunes would be greatly appreciated, as would any subscribers etc. Pushing for that official channel name!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Hi Bud...so...you want an honest opinion right ?...I watched each one in turn, not sure who set up the video but if you are using this for promo use I think the whole thing needs to be more engaging,...honestly I watched each one for about 5 seconds and moved on...have you thought about remixing for the vids to get a better sound?

The vocal was difficult to hear, and as I dont know all the songs it was tricky to stay interested.

A social channel needs a lot of input and variety I think, you want subscribers but what for if you are just offering gig videos?

Is that a bit negative ;-)....sorry !  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Cracking cover of The One I Love - what a tune.
  • spark240 said:
    Hi Bud...so...you want an honest opinion right ?...I watched each one in turn, not sure who set up the video but if you are using this for promo use I think the whole thing needs to be more engaging,...honestly I watched each one for about 5 seconds and moved on...have you thought about remixing for the vids to get a better sound?

The vocal was difficult to hear, and as I dont know all the songs it was tricky to stay interested.

A social channel needs a lot of input and variety I think, you want subscribers but what for if you are just offering gig videos?

Is that a bit negative ;-)....sorry !  
    No it's all good mate - I get you.
    The sound quality isn't fantastic, especially on the vocals. It was just the first gig that we did multi-cam. I imagine what we'll do eventually is creating more of a live music video by dubbing over a studio-recorded track. Do you think that would be heading in the right direction? 

We plan on adding more content as we progress - we're heading into the studio soon so was thinking some recording diaries - but again, think my original question stands - do people treat YouTube like a genuine social channel? 

munckee said:
    Cracking cover of The One I Love - what a tune.
    haha thanks mate - it is indeed. 
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Just a suggestion, but maybe use the studio recordings of the tracks you’ve done and then overdub them with this footage and cut it differently so it’s a bit more promo like. Also, add in extra fun stuff like backstage antics etc. 
  • Heel said:
    Just a suggestion, but maybe use the studio recordings of the tracks you’ve done and then overdub them with this footage and cut it differently so it’s a bit more promo like. Also, add in extra fun stuff like backstage antics etc. 
    Thanks a lot for the input mate. What do you mean by more promo like? Like a montage of the different tracks together?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8689
    ... How do you guys use your YT channels - my feeling is it's more or less for video storage ...
    We use them for collateral when pitching for gigs. We have two types: the audience iPhone, where we use up to 30 seconds; and the proper camera where we use a whole song. The iPhone snippets we post untreated. For proper video we mix down to stereo the 12 tracks recorded from the desk, and match the video to the sound track.

Interestingly, at the pub landlord level, the iPhone snippets have more impact than the proper videos. Maybe that’s because they feel more at home with it. Maybe they’ve seen too many promos where the band doesn’t live up to the video.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Heel said:
    Thanks a lot for the input mate. What do you mean by more promo like? Like a montage of the different tracks together?
    Yes and no. You could put the best bits of live footage together and sync them up with studio tracks - absolutely. OR just sync the footage you’ve already got but create some more and make each track a bit more fun - rather than the same three of four camera angles. 

Engagement is difficult, but really - less is more. And the more creative you are, the better.