Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are modellers as good as amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Which is better, Testarossa, Transit, or Tesla? Each has its place. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2019
    soma1975 said:
    All you need to know is Mark Knopfler switched to Kemper and now Mark Knopfler is retiring. 
    So what you're saying is that he should have got an Axe-FX?  Good point.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    soma1975 said:
    All you need to know is Mark Knopfler switched to Kemper and now Mark Knopfler is retiring. 
    Presumably so he actually has the time to profile his favorite amps on all of his preferred settings ;-)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    No and they never will be.
    Why?
    Because they're not amps.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2019
    dazzajl said:
    Sassafras said:
    Why?
    Want to walk me through that statement because I definitely see something like Mustang or THR as an amp
    Anything that amplifies the sound of an electric guitar is an "amplifier", and any tonal colouration imparted on the signal is a byproduct of the amplification process.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Sassafras said:
    Why?
    Want to walk me through that statement because I definitely see something like Mustang or THR as an amp
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    dazzajl said:
    Sassafras said:
    Why?
    The OP has separated modellers from amps therefore it's an existential question based on the philosophy of Jean Paul Sartres and Schrodinger's cat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    dazzajl said:
    Sassafras said:
    Why?
    The OP has separated modellers from amps therefore it's an existential question based on the philosophy of Jean Paul Sartres and Schrodinger's cat.
    Gotcha, all clear now :)
  • Not an easy question.

Ive been using Modellers (AFX) for 11 years now, its regularly pu up against some good amps (Mr Z Maz 18, and an EGZ) and holds its own.

BUT - I play it through a valve power section (Fryette Power Station) and cab (after years of using Matrix amps).  Ive tried FRFR though various top end solutions and it never does it for me from a players POV.  I do use FRFR - obviously when recording and its far more flexible and straight forwards than a valve amp.  I also send a feed at bigger venues to FOH which is better for the desk and the audience than a valve amp BUT I still use the Power amp/cab as on stage monitoring for ME. 

I actually had a valve amp side by side in the early days -0 and for about 5 years in the middle as an alternative, but both got sold as they just wernt used.

One thing I never liked about real amps, is I always struggled to get the top I had in my head.  There was always an annoying freq there, or missing, or over saturating, or too dry etc etc etc.  This is where the AFX (in particular) made its mark.  The L6 stuff isnt as flexible and the Kemper just gave me copies of the same annoying stuff.  BUT thats just me.

What I have always said - even now.  If your not recording, and you play with one or two tones only, and you find a valve amp that does them just how you like them - then that amp is still better than any modeller.  If you DO record, or if you need more tonal options, or keep changing amps and cant settle on one.  - then Modellers are the way to go.  It might mean playing with how you hear them though.  Dont rule out FRFR, but dont rely on it either.  An amp and cab might work better for you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    to my ears and hands Modellers don”t feel like amps, 
    they can sound similar but do not respond to dynamics, and projection like a valve amp, they are not so responsive,
    they are practical for the bedroom, for certain recording scenarios and to plug straight to the PA but they are not the same fun as the real amp,
    all imho,

• FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
    edited September 2019
    It’s all in how you’re using it, there’s absolutely no definitive answer. 

For me, the Kemper is much better for a wedding band when you have to deal with awful acoustics and sound limiters.

My 100 Watt Head and cab are much better if I’m monitoring purely from the amp and playing hardcore/Black Metal and want to blow people’s heads off.

Also it’s a fools errand to compare an actual guitar cab to a monitor, of course you’ll get a different feel, they’re totally different things. 

Particularly enjoying the replies that essentially say that a valve amp is always better than a modelled one. UNLESS, you’re playing at home, in a band or recording. 

A completely nonsensical statement that I fully agree with. Valve amps can be right moody buggers that don’t always want to produce the same sound today that they did yesterday. How many times have we have plugged a certain guitar in to a good ol’ amp and achieved tone heaven. Gone back to the same pair the next day and found ‘MEH’. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited September 2019
    dazzajl said:
    A completely nonsensical statement that I fully agree with. Valve amps can be right moody buggers that don’t always want to produce the same sound today that they did yesterday. How many times have we have plugged a certain guitar in to a good ol’ amp and achieved tone heaven. Gone back to the same pair the next day and found ‘MEH’. 
    I have that with modelling as well. I think it’s our ears, not the tech.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TTBZ said:
    dazzajl said:
    I have that with modelling as well. I think it’s our ears, not the tech.
    You mean I’m the moody bugger? This has come as quite a shock ;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I've never played a modeller so I'll state with absolute confidence that valves are best.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are some truly terrible valve amps in fairness
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    Real band, real player, real dynamics = real amp.

"Bedroom" player, advertising jingle, teenage "metal" = modeller.

C'mon guys, it's really not a difficult question. 
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2019
    p90fool said:
    Real band, real player, real dynamics = real amp.

"Bedroom" player, advertising jingle, teenage "metal" = modeller.

C'mon guys, it's really not a difficult question. 
    Budget for £200-£500 a day if you want to record a real amp properly 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    dazzajl said:
    Particularly enjoying the replies that essentially say that a valve amp is always better than a modelled one. UNLESS, you’re playing at home, in a band or recording. 

This can also be caused by how you (one) feels on a given day compared to the next day.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Nah. Modellers are better than amps.  If they're good enough for  Ron Thal (Line 6 Helix LT) and Nita Strauss (Boss GT-1000) then I'm sure it  for will do for the majority of the tFB population.
    Im pretty sure this is more the convenience of a modeller when your touring the world sacrificing 10-20% feel and tone vs the expense in hauling & servicing the amps to be honest i bet they use real amps in the studio