NFBD

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
I bought a bass.

Not something I normally do, since I tend to believe that unlike guitarists, bass players are sensible and don't need a collection of the things when one will do perfectly well. And I already have a Rickenbacker 4001, which is my favourite bass ever.

But then I bought a 5-string ;).

And I've always loved the early Aria SB basses - my first bass in 1986 was a SB-1000, and I quite often miss it. Sadly original 1000s are big money now due largely to Cliff Burton - although I've always most associated them with John Taylor - and I can't justify one anyway.

But I had been thinking... if I was to get a *fretless* one, I could justify that since it wouldn't duplicate my Rick. They are very rare though - at least proper ones, rather than conversions.

Then I found this :).

1982 SB-R60, factory fretless. (Dots at the fret positions on the side.)

It's not in perfect condition, but not at all bad for nearly 40 years old and clearly having been used a fair bit. It's also quite light for one of these - they're notoriously heavy, being largely maple and ash, but this one is only 9lb 7oz, and balances very nicely.

So now I have three basses. And a borrowed Fender Mustang Bass. Oh well...

All I have to do now is learn to play it properly! And find a Duran Duran tribute band :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Fantastic. Those were great basses in their day and they still are. What a great score.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    That's really nice and deserves its place in the bass hall of fame thread "OK, get yer long'ns out!"
  • My teenage self is well jel. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Nice! Congratulations on finally getting yourself a proper bass (i.e., one with the correct number of frets). ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    JezWynd said:
    Those were great basses in their day and they still are.
    The build quality is outstanding. About the only thing less than top-notch is the jack, and this one's already been replaced with a proper Switchcraft by the previous owner. The little series/parallel switch has also been changed, they do often break - the original would have been black with a flat toggle.

I should probably take a pic of the back, the through neck and the shaping at the heel really shows how well it's made...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Interesting backdrop. A bench in Scotland that is nae knee deep in Buckie empties.  =)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very cool