Squier MB4 - advice, opinions?

Hi
Looking for a bass to buy my daughter (see post about practice bass amp) and have found a Squier MB4 that looks good.  Not much online about it, so thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience with them??

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited September 2019
    The MB4 is, essentially, a Cort Action Bass with a different headstock outline. It has all of the advantages and disadvantages of having been made in Cort's Indonesian factory. Woodwork and frets will be good. Pickups, pots and jack socket will be a little bit cheap 'n' nasty. 

The bridge, whilst inexpensive, adheres to the principles of the classic Fender bridge design. The thin steel baseplate suits some music styles and detracts from others. A higher mass replacement bridge would improve the on-strap balance. In theory, it should increase mechanical sustain. This, in turn, could expose the shortcomings of the Powersound pickups.

Overall, the MB4 is a bass that, with minor upgrades, could continue to serve even after your daughter graduates to a posher instrument.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • If it's a hundred quid or under, great. Anything above that, swerve it.
  • If it's a hundred quid or under, great. Anything above that, swerve it.
    Its about £100.
  • Thinking this question through again, my first move would be to make absolutely certain that your daughter definitely wants a bass guitar and matching amplifier.

Whilst it would be a nice surprise for her to receive such gifts, there is the possibility that what she really requires is a friend with a bass guitar and amp so that they can play together.

My other thought concerns age, height, arm and hand sizes. If your daughter is not comfortable on a regular 34" scale length bass guitar, it might be wiser to try a few 30" and 32" instruments in the music shops first. Obviously, doing this removes the element of surprise but, at least, your money buys something that will get played.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2019
    Thinking this question through again, my first move would be to make absolutely certain that your daughter definitely wants a bass guitar and matching amplifier.

Whilst it would be a nice surprise for her to receive such gifts, there is the possibility that what she really requires is a friend with a bass guitar and amp so that they can play together.

My other thought concerns age, height, arm and hand sizes. If your daughter is not comfortable on a regular 34" scale length bass guitar, it might be wiser to try a few 30" and 32" instruments in the music shops first. Obviously, doing this removes the element of surprise but, at least, your money buys something that will get played.
    Thanks and good points. I thought that too - that she would like a friend to play along with, but she’s talked about playing bass for a while now. 

In terms of size, reach etc I think she’ll be ok with a regular size bass. I was going to take her to a few shops to see but then she might fall in love with something that’s out of budget! I’ve got her brother acting as a proxy for her in terms of the overall look of anything we buy.  The budget is also reflective of the fact that it may just sit there gathering dust - so don’t want to spend too much, but enough to get something that inspires her to pick it up and play. Delicate balance!

Now he he is talking about taking up bass too! This is now just costing me more and more!!
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited September 2019
    Oh I’ll need to get a bag too - so any recommendations for a decent padded bag for bass would be great. 
    Thanks
  • Vinylfan said:
    [Son] is talking about taking up bass too!
    Be thankful that he doesn’t fancy the drums! ;)

In all seriousness, two siblings, one decent guitar/amp outfit and one decent bass/amp outfit should keep them busy and content.

In the event that your fears are realised and one instrument/amp combination falls into disuse, you should be able to make a gear swap with somebody on tFB.