Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Digitech FreqOut

What's Hot
So we tried this in the studio today.

I'm not kidding you, this is one of the best pedals I've ever used. I'm so impressed with it. It sounds phenomenal and really does sound like real feedback. It even responds to bending notes.

I've not tried the thing I bought it for yet, which was to do something like: guitar > FreqOut > Octaver > Fuzz > Amp

But I'm dead into it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Nice one, do you think it could be used to do the feedback parts of The Supernatural by Peter Green when he was in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Pleased you are digging it.
  • zepp76 said:
    Nice one, do you think it could be used to do the feedback parts of The Supernatural by Peter Green when he was in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers?
    I'd never heard that before but yes I think so. It's a great tone!

Bye!

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Just checked a couple of YouTube reviews, sounds great, I reckon it would be superb for "Heroes"
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've only heard Andy's Tonereport demo but it does sound terrific. All sorts of possibilities with this amazing little box.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    zepp76 said:
    There’s a review of the pedal on line where the guy is playing just that. Type Freqout into YT.
  • zepp76 said:

I would try an eBow on that one for the sustained notes, although I've never tried the FreqOut (and it does intrigue me!).
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    InactiveX said:
    zepp76 said:

I would try an eBow on that one for the sustained notes, although I've never tried the FreqOut (and it does intrigue me!).
    I use the Freqout in place of the Ebow.
    It is a better solution, especially for live, because it is less fiddly and you can easily skip across strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    I’ve got two, works great when playing modeller into headphones.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited September 2019
    zepp76 said:

AlexC said:
    zepp76 said:
    There’s a review of the pedal on line where the guy is playing just that. Type Freqout into YT.
    That’s great, thanks chaps.

InactiveX said:
    zepp76 said:

I have an eBow and tried it but it’s nigh on impossible to go from the eBow to picking the notes, plus it just doesn’t sound right, I need that feedback sound. This pedal could be just the job though. Another bloomin thing to GAS for!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited September 2019
    You'd have to work the string to get it to continually feedback - It's not a FREEZE pedal. Very addictive  Also if you hit a muffled stray note it does get confused and can produce some weird sounds that aren't musical. However, with practice you learn to pick precisely when using it :)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • According to a recent interview, Jakko Jakszyk uses one onstage with King Crimson.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I love mine. I'm now straight into the PA from a BOSS GT-1000 and in-ears so there's no onstage volume at all and I can't get feedback from an amp so the Freeqout is an awesome bit of kit.

One small problem is that when the sustain on the note runs out, the feedback effect stops and if you're shaking the note and hit a stray one you can also lose the note. What I do is put it into a loop with a compressor before it and bring it in with a momentary switch. That helps with keeping the note going as long as possible.

Anyway...awesome pedal.
    I love mine. I'm now straight into the PA from a BOSS GT-1000 and in-ears so there's no onstage volume at all and I can't get feedback from an amp so the Freeqout is an awesome bit of kit.

One small problem is that when the sustain on the note runs out, the feedback effect stops and if you're shaking the note and hit a stray one you can also lose the note. What I do is put it into a loop with a compressor before it and bring it in with a momentary switch. That helps with keeping the note going as long as possible.

Anyway...awesome pedal.
    I don't bother with the compressor, but I do use the momentary.
    It really helps to have a clean fretting hand technique and some judicious picking hand muting.
  • I love mine.  Especially good if you hold it and slide around - it does a really synth-y portamento thing which I dig.

Managed to convince a bass player friend of mine to buy one and it's fucking ridiculous with a 5 string bass!!
  • octatonic said:
    InactiveX said:
    zepp76 said:

I use the Freqout in place of the Ebow.
    It is a better solution, especially for live, because it is less fiddly and you can easily skip across strings.
    Have you heard The Supernatural? There's definitely no string skipping at all on it!

I can see why it wouldn't sound quite right with the sustained notes though.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    You’ll have to excuse what might be a stupid question, but do you need to keep the foot switch pressed down in order to have the feedback sustain or is it a click on and click off once the feedback has come to an end?
    edited September 2019
    zepp76 said:
    You’ll have to excuse what might be a stupid question, but do you need to keep the foot switch pressed down in order to have the feedback sustain or is it a click on and click off once the feedback has come to an end?
    You can choose between having it latched or momentary.
    Momentary is the best way for my style of playing.

If you have it latched then it will come on with each new note.
    I like to have it set to fade in, like regular feedback would, when you step on the momentary.
    On a latched switch it is too much.
  • zepp76 said:
    It does both. Momentary where you hold the switch to have the effect happen and then it bypasses itself when you release. Or you can have it set to toggle mode, where pressing it on will apply the effect to every note you play through it and you have to press it again to bypass.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    zepp76 said:
    You can choose between having it latched or momentary.
    Momentary is the best way for my style of playing.

If you have it latched then it will come on with each new note.
    I like to have it set to fade in, like regular feedback would, when you step on the momentary.
    On a latched switch it is too much.
    zepp76 said:
    It does both. Momentary where you hold the switch to have the effect happen and then it bypasses itself when you release. Or you can have it set to toggle mode, where pressing it on will apply the effect to every note you play through it and you have to press it again to bypass.
    Brilliant, thank you chaps. Momentary will be the one for me then. Time to do some eBay searching!