Phil Jones Bass Session 77 Any users?

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
I'm on the look out for a small bass amp for home use and the PJB 77 ticks a lot of boxes but I'd love to hear of any users experience. I've previously had a PJB Double Four and while it was a wonderful bit of kit it seemed to lack a bit of oommph - It reproduced exactly the sound of the instrument plugged into it but didn't add anything and I'm wondering if the 77 is cut from the same cloth. I usually go for an Ampeg flavour and the Fender Rumble series do that well enough for my needs but the PJB is a smaller unit in a more living room friendly design and I fancy a more critical sound going forward so the PJB might fit the bill.. Comparisons with Ampeg or Rumbles would be especially welcome. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I vaguely recall that it is recommended to position the more compact PJB bass amplifiers close to a wall in an attempt to reinforce the lower frequency content.

One compact, low wattage amp that will have a go at almost any sound is the Fender Rumble Studio 40. I cannot recall what Roland's nearest equivalent is called.

I like the (discontinued) tc electronic staccato '51. (Their Rocco Pesteria signature amp head, supposedly tweaked to sound like his favourite 'peg.)

The small MarkBass amplifiers are highly respected. I have not tried one. Hence, I feel unable to comment.
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited September 2019
    I vaguely recall that it is recommended to position the more compact PJB bass amplifiers close to a wall in an attempt to reinforce the lower frequency content.

You're right, positioning them close to a wall does improve the sound. I placed my Double Four in a corner under an armchair and it definitely brought out the best in the little combo.

The Rumble studio 40 looks like it could be a very nice amp. I did have the Rumble 40 v3 for a while and liked that a lot but I don't need the extras the studio version gives.

The PJB combos are very good for practise as they give out exactly what's put in - I've never played another amp that reveals the core sound of the instrument you're playing as much as a PJB.

The Double Four was a little lacking in volume, even when optimally placed and I'm thinking the slightly larger drivers of the 77 and extra wattage may be enough to compensate for the Double Four's shortcomings.

I'm currently using a WEM Westminster 10w combo and, esp when using an octave pedal, the speaker can't keep up (nor should it, it's a guitar combo).

Vox have just bought out a bass version of their Super Beatle combo-head thingy. The guitar version got some stellar reviews so it might be worth checking out but it does look very tiny.
  • JezWynd said:
    I'm currently using a WEM Westminster 10w combo and, esp when using an octave pedal, the speaker can't keep up (nor should it, it's a guitar combo).
    Somebody I knew years ago had a silver panel Westminster 15. Cranked, it could get nice and crunchy, like a small VOX AC.  :)
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    JezWynd said:
    Somebody I knew years ago had a silver panel Westminster 15. Cranked, it could get nice and crunchy, like a small VOX AC. 
    I've just picked up a PJB Session 77 on eBay so I may put my Westminster up for sale shortly. This one...