BBC iPlayer Radio

Prematurely euthanised by the corporation. 
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Was there anything that app did that the BBC Sounds app doesn't?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    Sounds is so much complicated and difficult to browse.  I liked the old app.
  • I've not used either lots but I think Sounds is fine if you know exactly what you are looking for ( just type Alexei Sayle in the search bar for example)whereas the iPlayer was better at giving you options ( following the links and discovering Alexei Sayle).   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited September 2019
    Bod said:
    Sounds is so much complicated and difficult to browse.  I liked the old app.
    Was there anything that app did that the BBC Sounds app doesn't?
    I've not used either lots but I think Sounds is fine if you know exactly what you are looking for
    Sounds is fine if you already know what you want or roughly where to find it.

The thing that has been lost is the possibility of random discovery of unconsidered trifles. Something of interest that you had not realised was there until you chanced upon it. Rather like the difference between browsing in a book or record shop versus on-line shopping.

Some of the current contention is resistance to change. (There will have been similar griping when BBC iPlayer was launched.) 

Older smartphone operating systems may not be able to support the BBC Sounds application. This denies real time streaming. Whilst it is true that the majority of computer browsing software can connect to BBC Sounds, it is now necessary to register and, subsequently, log in every time. This presents the future possibility of replacing the license fee with pay-per-listen charges.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Have they sorted Chromecast Audio support out yet? I'm ok if/when they do ... wait a minute they have. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"