Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs with good use of reverb and tremolo

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStu said:
    Calexico - Gypsy's Curse

That’s brilliant and kind of similar style I’ve been trying to play, kind of surf/western/mariachi style. Thanks for reminding me of Calexico, I had Hot Rail but never got round to listening to more. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• (Check out the last minute or so especially...)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    You Buggers... I’ve had 4 Flints and now I’ve got GAS for another one..... :s

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    The Tremolo pedal was one I could never see the sense of.  Another is the Wah wah........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited September 2019
    Stuckfast said:

The three in the back row look like they're doing an impersonation of Darth Vader with an afro.

It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    This is stretching what you're really asking for, but it's one of the best uses of reverb and tremolo on any song ever...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Not so much obvious reverb but i cant not link this

• Stuckfast said:

(Check out the last minute or so especially...)

Tremolo vocals?! 
  • Rocker said:
    The Tremolo pedal was one I could never see the sense of.  Another is the Wah wah........
    I guess if you don’t you don’t although the tremolo pedal goes back to 1946 and is usually said to be the first pedal effect so we’ve had it longer than we’ve had production solid body electric guitars and basses. 
    The Nancy Sinatra version of Bang Bang mentioned in the OP is really made by the tremolo effect ( a Vox pedal apparently), just wouldn’t be the same without it.

Anyway, the guitarist on Bang Bang is Billy Strange who played on many of the Beach Boy songs which reminded me of this ( although I don’t know who plays on it) often held up as the prime example of harmonic tremolo:

https://youtu.be/06B_1t6-WKM
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Here's another one where the reverb and tremolo are on separate parts, but both guitars this time -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Here's another one where the reverb and tremolo are on separate parts, but both guitars this time -

Ooh, ooh, IIRC it’s not produced in any traditional way it’s an effect made in Pro Tools. Still tremolo though. 
  • This is a De Armond. The YouTube notes explain how it works ( sloshing liquid over the contacts) but it’s quite amazing how fully formed that sound is for something built in the 1940s.

https://youtu.be/bDhNVxmoPr4
    EricTheWeary said:

Ooh, ooh, IIRC it’s not produced in any traditional way it’s an effect made in Pro Tools. Still tremolo though. 
    If I remember correctly it's tempo-linked tremolo on a Roger Linn Adrenalinn.

From reading about the recording of Love Is Blindness, the bass tremolo was something "the production team" did too, so it might well have been done in the mix rather than on the instrument itself.

• Cooder..

• More Trem...

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2019
    @ 10:40 is good!

Listen to Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run" by The KLOS Sessions on #SoundCloud
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

If I remember correctly it's tempo-linked tremolo on a Roger Linn Adrenalinn.

From reading about the recording of Love Is Blindness, the bass tremolo was something "the production team" did too, so it might well have been done in the mix rather than on the instrument itself.

I thought I'd read it as pro tools although that was probably internet wisdom rather than actual wisdom. I seem to remember that people who have seen them live say they can't recreate it and use a backing track ( well, modern equivalent) for Boulevard. Although probably thousands of cover bands will have done their own approximations. 

• Richard Hawley always seem to use verb and trem well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://youtu.be/k1Qnt5bx1OI

I don’t think this was mentioned. Not a lot of tremolo but pretty cool nonetheless.