E.V.E. Custom 13 Stratocaster Switch

What's Hot
bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
edited September 2019 in Making & Modding
Anyone ever seen one of these? It's in place of the normal pickup selector on a Strat and each toggle switch has 3 positions.

A Google search found this - https://www.electrohill.co.uk/oshop/EVE-Custom-13-switching-kit but even they don't seem to know much about them. They sent me this document (one page):

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited September 2019
    Vaguely.

I am certainly old enough to recall the product being reviewed in a British music magazine. (Best guess, International Musician & Recording World.) Forum hoarders might possibly have a copy of the actual edition. 

Last year, I worked on a modified Gordon-Smith guitar that had an odd-looking, epoxy-sealed, box of passive electronic trickery. (Probably, involving an inductive coil.) It is possible that the eVe13 does something similar to passively filter the pickup signals.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    edited September 2019 tFB Trader
    I suspect it's just 3 on/off/reverse phase switches?

I think the Gordon Smith device (I discussed it with John years ago) was akin to the Villex "passive boost" http://www.villex.com/boosters.html
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    edited September 2019
    Quite a lot of people modified Strats with three mini-switches in the 1980s, usually giving on/off/out of phase for each pickup.

Unless you really like out of phase sounds - NB, the standard Strat 2 and 4 positions are *not* out of phase despite often being called that - then it’s really not very useful... fiddly to use and giving a lot of duplicated sounds.

I suspect that’s what this is since that switching - although there are 27 possible switch positions - gives only 13 different sounds:

Any individual pickup (3)
    Any two pickups in phase (3)
    Any two pickups out of phase (3)
    All three pickups in phase (1)
    All three pickups with any one out of phase (3)

There are no others because reversing the phase of all selected pickups doesn’t change the sound.

What would make it more interesting is if the pickups are wired in series not parallel - still only 13 sounds, but the differences both in tone and output are more dramatic. That’s how Brian May’s guitar is wired. Unfortunately you then lose the two classic Strat parallel-in-phase sounds.

Edit - ah, I couldn't see the chart earlier! It is basically as I expected, and sounds like the pickups are in parallel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think the Gordon Smith device (I discussed it with John years ago) was akin to the Villex "passive boost"
    Well remembered, sir. That is exactly what the mystery device was. I did not realise that it might have been a factory fitment option.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I belive the switching is based on Brian May's guitar 
  • The May Red Special circuit can be recreated with just three DP3T on/on/on switches. (It is the jumper connections that create the centre “off” positions.) 

The difference is that the original BMRS circuit has the pickups interconnected in series. Parallel is not an option without one of two modifications.

The eVe13 blurb indicates that its first seven permutations are the same as a Stratocaster with a five-way lever plus a Gilmour-style seven sounds mod.

The “up” sounds involve “filtering of the waveform”. That suggests either simple notch filtering by phase reversal or the introduction of a Villex type black box to the circuit.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader

The “up” sounds involve “filtering of the waveform”. 
    I suspect that's marketing bollocks for "out of phase"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL + Wiz = Wow! 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader

I've got one of those switches if you want it, donate £10 to the tFB, send me your address and you can have it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• I'll likely have one to sell myself. It came installed on a partsocaster I bought and I couldn't find any info on it. FB came to the rescue once again.

Thanks