Recommend me some Tapewound Strings

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
I recently tried out a set of Fender tapewounds, my first outing with this style of string. Liked them very much but as they are roundwounds with a nylon coat, they have a slightly uneven feel. Apparently all tapewounds are rounds but is there a set that has the smooth feel of flats, pref without being an enormous gauge size? Thanks for any recommendations.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 257
    edited September 2019
    La’Bella are always my first choice, try the Low Tension stainless flats.
     I have these on my EB0 & recently restrung a friends old Musicmaster, he’s in love with them, good price as well from Bass Direct
    If you want the black nylon type try the 760 or Deep Talkin sets, I have 760 on my fretless & love em to bits.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the tips @wrinkleygit. I like La Bella strings very much but unfortunately their black tape sets have a big gauge size and I don’t want to be messing with nut.

From the research I’ve done it seems that GHS are the only maker who use flats to make their tapewounds and even there the G string is roundwound. D’addario have a smooth finish to the nylon, so I think i’ll try one of those two makes for now.

Ps. Seems i’m Wrong saying all La Bella Nylon are large gauges, the 750N series are 50-105. Might try these first as i’ve always been impressed with La Bella’s.
  • The 760 series start at 39/56/77/96 if that’s any help.
  • KristoKristo Frets: 130
    Labella tapes are awesome. The white nylons are even smoother than the blacks. 
  • JezWynd said:
    Fender tapewounds ... they have a slightly uneven feel. 
    Don't ponce about. Go fully flatwound. Stanless Steel light or extra light gauges. e.g. D'Addario ECB80 Chromes 040-095
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    JezWynd said:
    Fender tapewounds ... they have a slightly uneven feel. 
    Don't ponce about. Go fully flatwound. Stanless Steel light or extra light gauges. e.g. D'Addario ECB80 Chromes 040-095
    Currently using cheapie Olympia flats - they're very good, have a smooth feel; more tension than La Bellas though.
    Finally went with La Bella Black Nylon Tape 750N. Really nice strings, much smoother than Fender’s Tapewounds and surprisingly bright sounding, though that might wear off as they settle in. They’re much lower tension that the Olympic flats I was using previously which makes string bends a breeze.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Nice.  =)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.