PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4162
    edited July 2020
    Some strong entries this month. I thought mine was good, but seeing some of theseine just looks average
    I've been thinking that I might struggle to get anywhere near the quality of everyone else's entries this month. Going to see how the sunset looks down by the beach later I think, but I'm not really too hopeful...
    Don’t overthink it. I’ve had some good options for this one but only because travel and big wide landscapes & skies are kinda my thing. 

You only get better by doing and I’ll bet your shots are better than you think.

I've submitted a picture now. Went down to Thorpe Bay the other evening and shot about 100 pictures of various angles of sky and some other bits while the sun was setting. The one I've gone with is the one that I think has the biggest sky... it's literally just a jpg off the camera, no editing at all.

At first I thought I'd made a terrible mistake going from the Fuji to a bridge camera, but I'm liking the new camera more and more as I get to grips with it. And having a ridiculous zoom is handy too, not going to lie :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3437
    We have nothing but sky here in Suffolk. And some trees!  

Mix that with the odd burst of electricity and you get this.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2407
    Entries are mighty strong this month. Voting is going to be HARD. I mean, even some of the non-entries are amazing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4492
    OK, mine's in.  This was the scene I was hoping to capture when I picked the topic - it's a place called Wilder's Folly, just on the outskirts of Reading.  It turned out that the quick snap I took on my phone before getting the 'proper' camera out was by far the best.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm having a problem this month - shot these clouds this morning. Opted for B&W.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    Just wondering guys, would it be Ok to put some basic EXIF with our photos? It could be useful for other people interested in photography to see some info on camera settings etc?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    robgilmo said:
    Just wondering guys, would it be Ok to put some basic EXIF with our photos? It could be useful for other people interested in photography to see some info on camera settings etc?
    I’m always keen to note that setting don’t explain everything as obviously you have to account for the actual light on front of you when you hit the shutter, but it can certainly help a little. 

Either way I’m happy enough to add aperture, shutter speed and ISO if nothing else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    robgilmo said:
    I’m always keen to note that setting don’t explain everything as obviously you have to account for the actual light on front of you when you hit the shutter, but it can certainly help a little. 

Either way I’m happy enough to add aperture, shutter speed and ISO if nothing else.

I think when @beed84 was running this, the original posts about it said that the photos thread was just for the images and EXIF data. Fine with me, it would definitely be something I'd be interested in seeing too.

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• robgilmo said:

99 percent of the time, the camera settings mean nothing without context. 

Actually it's only really relevant with regards to motion and depth of field. The rest is lighting - hard to capture that without a diagram. 
    I absolutely understand that things like lighting play a huge part however a sunny dar or a night time shot kind of speak for that area, also things like stacked photos , HDR etc could be added, I'm not saying it should be compulsory nor should the thread be more text than images but enough info to perhaps generate questions and interest might not be such a bad thing?
    For instance, my entry, I could add " 3 shots hand held, Stacked, HDR vivid" and it might generate interest in that particular field of photography.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    robgilmo said:
    For instance, my entry, I could add " 3 shots hand held, Stacked, HDR vivid" and it might generate interest in that particular field of photography.
    That sort of thing is definitely of interest!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    robgilmo said:
    That sort of thing is definitely of interest!
    HDR is quite an interesting (for me) subject, night time and low light is something I want to do more of, long exposure shots can yield some very interesting results., even during the day. 
  • robgilmo said:
    That's of interest, I thought you meant

1/60th, f/4.5, ISO 400, 76mm

Which actually contains no useful information at all :) 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4492
    Fretwired said:
    I'm having a problem this month - shot these clouds this morning. Opted for B&W.

@Fretwired old chap - if that's your entry, you might want to pop it in the other thread before voting opens    ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

@Fretwired old chap - if that's your entry, you might want to pop it in the other thread before voting opens    ;)

Thanks. I wasn't going to bother but as you reminded me I've entered it. Your pic is stunning.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    edited July 2020
    Voting in the other thread is now closed. I'll announce the winner shortly 

Winner has just been announced in the competition thread :)

I know it's a bit early but I've just posted up the August competition thread... might not get a chance this weekend :)

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited August 2020
    Not really sure what this months theme means?...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll