PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    There's some great entries here this month, which I'm happy to see. I was getting worried that people had lost interest, but then they all came flooding in at once. Seriously, I'm really pleased you're all taking the time to do this :)

Due to much dithering, I had to resort to my iPhone SE (great idea to allow phones) and did a tiny bit of editing in the Photos app. Quite pleased with the result, even it it was rushed/not my first choice. Hopefully I'll be using my camera next time.

Oh and @poopot. Consider this a written warning. Three strikes and you're out  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2019
    Edit:fail
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84 said:
    There's some great entries here this month, which I'm happy to see. I was getting worried that people had lost interest, but then they all came flooding in at once. Seriously, I'm really pleased you're all taking the time to do this :)

Due to much dithering, I had to resort to my iPhone SE (great idea to allow phones) and did a tiny bit of editing in the Photos app. Quite pleased with the result, even it it was rushed/not my first choice. Hopefully I'll be using my camera next time.

Oh and @poopot. Consider this a written warning. Three strikes and you're out  ;)
    Not a chance. Not yet anyway ;) 

I'm planning to be in every time for the foreseeable - one shot a month should never be too much of a burden. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can see myself generally entering towards the end of the submission period, just to give me a chance of shooting something early that's good, then trying to better it before I submit. To be honest, being in a bunch of Japanese national parks I had about 8 "potentials" this month, though I can't say that will happen most months! 

I also would be interested to see everyone else's rejected shots or alternatively-processed versions. Presumably this would be the right place to post those?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Here's another question: looking through the photos thread it looks like most people shoot in 4:3... what are everyone's thoughts on 16:9? (Or am I overthinking this?)

4:3 is the Olympus and Panasonic standard. Most other cameras use the older 3:2 format.

If you shoot in 16:9 format you are effectively cutting off large slices of your camera’s sensor and reducing resolution. If you want panoramic shots it is better to take a few pictures and stitch them together using editing software or some cameras have the built-In facility to do that. To get good panoramas though you will need a tripod.
    I think my camera takes the biggest (most MP) shots in 16:9, and then if you set it to the 3:2 (my mistake about 4:3) it crops off the edges...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:

It's called the Halloween tree ... a nod to the Sleepy Hollow film.

Olympus E-M10 Mark III 1/1600 sec. f/9 25 mm, ISO 200. I used a b&w effect on the camera and a little post-processing to create a spooky pic.

I see you are making good use of that new camera already @Fretwired  ;)
    Yep .. still learning. Luckily there's some good stuff on YouTube. Trying to stay off auto mode and learn to use the camera .. got some great shots of a grandson the other week. This was trying to be a little arty with a spooky old lime tree ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Jimbro66 said:
    Here's another question: looking through the photos thread it looks like most people shoot in 4:3... what are everyone's thoughts on 16:9? (Or am I overthinking this?)

4:3 is the Olympus and Panasonic standard. Most other cameras use the older 3:2 format.

If you shoot in 16:9 format you are effectively cutting off large slices of your camera’s sensor and reducing resolution. If you want panoramic shots it is better to take a few pictures and stitch them together using editing software or some cameras have the built-In facility to do that. To get good panoramas though you will need a tripod.
    I think my camera takes the biggest (most MP) shots in 16:9, and then if you set it to the 3:2 (my mistake about 4:3) it crops off the edges...
    Hmm, that’s interesting. Which camera is that you are using mate?
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Fujifilm X-T20. I had a look this morning actually, and you were right - 3:2 is the biggest image

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Fujifilm X-T20. I had a look this morning actually, and you were right - 3:2 is the biggest image
    Nice camera the X-T20. Not much you can’t do with one of those. Fuji has terrific lenses too. A good choice. Looking forward to your entry for the  December comp :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4167
    edited November 2019
    Jimbro66 said:

Nice camera the X-T20. Not much you can’t do with one of those. Fuji has terrific lenses too. A good choice. Looking forward to your entry for the  December comp
    Thank you very much!

It is a lovely camera. I got quite despondent while I was out the other night taking pictures, and I was thinking that it's too good for me and I should sell it and get a decent point and shoot instead... but then I look at some of the photos that come out of it and I stop thinking that! This is one that I took while I was trying to find one for this month's competition:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:

Nice camera the X-T20. Not much you can’t do with one of those. Fuji has terrific lenses too. A good choice. Looking forward to your entry for the  December comp
    Thank you very much!

It is a lovely camera. I got quite despondent while I was out the other night taking pictures, and I was thinking that it's too good for me and I should sell it and get a decent point and shoot instead... but then I look at some of the photos that come out of it and I stop thinking that! This is one that I took while I was trying to find one for this month's competition:

Wis for this. You'll find you quickly raise your game as you know the camera will take you wherever you're going. It's really nice when you have a great camera, as it lets you focus (no pun intended) on light & composition and rely on the camera to do the rest really well. 

I assume you're on the kit 18-55? Just wait till you try a prime or two. I love the 35mm f1.4 like a child....
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jimbro66 said:

Thank you very much!

Wis for this. You'll find you quickly raise your game as you know the camera will take you wherever you're going. It's really nice when you have a great camera, as it lets you focus (no pun intended) on light & composition and rely on the camera to do the rest really well. 

I assume you're on the kit 18-55? Just wait till you try a prime or two. I love the 35mm f1.4 like a child....
    Yep, only got the one lens at the moment... I should probably stop spending money on guitars and save up for another one or two!

@cj73 I'll let you off just this once  :)
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    beed84 said:
    Many thanks @beed84.   It was an administrative oversight and the relevant flunkeys have been sacked 
    cj73 said:
    beed84 said:
    Many thanks @beed84.   It was an administrative oversight and the relevant flunkeys have been sacked 
    No problem. To prevent these sort of administrative shenanigans, I’m going to specify an actual closing time for the next competition. 

@ThePrettyDamned although @Bridgehouse will no doubt be feeling pretty good about himself, could you vote your top three please  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5734
    Ah crap!! 

What a daft sod, I didn’t actually read the details and thought I had more time. Had a shot in my pocket and made time today to go and get, what I thought was, a better idea. 

Maybe if this months winner chooses Muppets as the next theme I can just shoot a self portrait 

I did think that the turnout would go down this month as shooting guitars would be easier for folks. How fabulously wrong I was and what a brilliant selection of shots everyone has entered. I’ve enjoyed every one of them. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Really good competition this month with some splendid shots. I'm pretty stoked to be getting some votes, too – they've certainly boosted my motivation/interest for the hobby  :)
    dazzajl said:
    Ah crap!! 

What a daft sod, I didn’t actually read the details and thought I had more time. Had a shot in my pocket and made time today to go and get, what I thought was, a better idea. 

Maybe if this months winner chooses Muppets as the next theme I can just shoot a self portrait 

I did think that the turnout would go down this month as shooting guitars would be easier for folks. How fabulously wrong I was and what a brilliant selection of shots everyone has entered. I’ve enjoyed every one of them. 
    Sorry you missed the deadline dude. If voting hadn't started I'd have squeezed you in if I could. At least you now know for next time.

Muppets maybe, but I'm sure you have the face of an adonis  ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Another really difficult voting choice. 

I'd swapped my 1, 2 and 3 around a few times before I pressed Post Comment. 

I'd say it's a really good thing though - lots of talented picture takers on here - interesting subjects, great technique, nothing cliche or technical but dull - just great photos. 

And every single entry was again really very good.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    Agreed, some great shots. I almost went for Poopot as the winner again, the only thing that put me off was the background blur looked slightly manufactured, almost as if it was done in post. 
  • I chose my photo because it's different to every shot on the same shoot, which were mostly macro mushroom shots.

Not sure what I'll work on in the next month. I only have a 50mm lens so a bit restrictive. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @ThePrettyDamned - that shroom shot is superb. 

You don’t seem to be very restricted by the 50mm. It’s my fave focal length.