Gibson DC Bass

pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
Anybody tried one yet? Saw a couple in Dawson's but never thought to have a go.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    Can't help but thinking the balance will be bloody awful.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Can't help but thinking the balance will be bloody awful.
    It's hard to tell - the strap button is at least further forward than it is on an SG-shape EB-0. If the body is fairly heavy and the neck is skinny it may be fine.

Years ago I built a bass with a DC Les Paul shape - as in double the lower cutaway of a Les Paul Standard, not with the slightly longer upper horn - and not even with the strap button on the horn, it was on the back of the neck join - and the reason why I decided to make the body into a bass not a guitar was because it was Iroko and weighed a ton! It balanced quite well.

I like the look of this new DC bass, it looks like it would be good for blues/punky kind of music - and it's nice to see the neck is maple too... less prone to breakage. At £800 or so it's not exactly a bargain though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I tried one yesterday. Neck was more a chunky Jazz than like a Precision. The sounds were better than from the two-pickup SG bass they had.

It was reduced to £700 but not exciting enough for me to warrant buying.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    not exciting
    Unfortunately, this expression sums up Gibson bass guitars in general. Their main appeal is in being different.

Some of the Nineties and Noughties LP Bass bodies had fancy figured and arched maple tops. Why? Unless it is a Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke or Billy Sheehan gig, who looks at the bassist for more than a few seconds at a time? Almost nobody.

I confess to occasionally hankering after a Gibson Victory Bass but this soon passes. The only LP bass guitar models that hold any appeal for me are the semi-hollow Signature and the Triumph/Recording.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Funkfingers said:

The only LP bass guitar models that hold any appeal for me are the semi-hollow Signature and the Triumph/Recording.
    I had an original Triumph once, and despite the huge amount of controls it also sounded somewhat not exciting - just a bit woolly and undefined. I assume the scale length and possibly the all-mahogany construction were the problem - and unlike the EB series, it didn't have the mother of all bass pickups to compensate.

A long-scale Triumph might be an interesting thing to try if anyone could be bothered...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson