How to file a nut slots without buggering it up and sending yourself into a Basil Fawlty-esque rage

What's Hot
Anyone got any tips for filing nut slots? I've tried it a couple of times before but made a complete hash of it and needed to get them replaced. Obviously not smooth enough as the tuning wouldn't stay. I used one of those multi nut file tool things. Don't know if it's my "technique" or the tool
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I have come to the conclusion, that the only way to do a good job of nut slots, is to buy a correct set of the correct size files, (Expensive).
    My next experiment, soon, will be to lower the whole nut by filing or sanding the flat bottom of the nut, at least to get closer to a good setting.
    All my previous attempts have led to pinging and buzzing on the 3 unwound strings, because no cheap file will get down to a 10.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    If you mean the welding nozzle cleaner files that are sometimes sold for use on guitar nuts - IMO they're just about OK for small changes to a slot, if far from ideal. For actually cutting nut slots from scratch, or changing the depth of the slot by a significant amount, I would say you need decent quality proper nut files - I realise there's some cost for these, but a worthwhile investment if you like to do your own set up work.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Megii said:
    If you mean the welding nozzle cleaner files that are sometimes sold for use on guitar nuts - IMO they're just about OK for small changes to a slot, if far from ideal. For actually cutting nut slots from scratch, or changing the depth of the slot by a significant amount, I would say you need decent quality proper nut files - I realise there's some cost for these, but a worthwhile investment if you like to do your own set up work.
    Agreed, I never got a decent result with nozzle files, they are too small and flexible, there is no control over what you do, the right too for the job makes a huge difference....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Just googled them, and they do cost a fair bit... the thing is, I've generally got guitars set up in at least three different tunings, requiring different gauges - it's quite an outlay. But as you say, it's worth doing properly. It's a lifetime investment
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Basic cost benefit analysis. Figure out how many times you think you are going to need to do this. Multiply by the cost to get someone else to do it.  If that number is greater than the files then they will eventually be worth it.
    I know for me personally that it's not worth me buying the files but for you it sounds like it will be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I got a set of 10 Hosco files maybe 4 or 5 years ago - around £100 at the time. It seemed a lot to shell out, but I'm now at the point where it's definitely been a wise investment. There are maybe a couple of sizes I don't have that I might still find useful, and could buy to add to the set at some point, but it is basically possible for me to cover a very wide range of string gauge with the files I have - don't think you have to have the exact gauge file for each string gauge.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader

The links below show you some of the best tools for cut nuts slots, the whole lot is a silly amount of money but if you want to do the job properly it's the stuff to get. Their are video links on each page well worth watching, if you don't buy their gear it will give you some idea how to do nut slots.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/StewMac_Safe_Slot_Nut_Guard.html

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Double-edge_Nut_Files.html

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Nut_and_Saddle_Vise.html

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The Stew Mac ones are the best. I bought a set in 2004 and used them everyday for six years - at times setting up 60 guitars in one day (long days - launches etc). I’ve still got them and in fact, I was using them this evening. They still work brilliantly and they’ve probably worked on literally thousands of instruments.

Yes, they are expensive but when eventually they wear out completely I would not hesitate to buy the same again. In a heartbeat.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    The Stew Mac ones are the best. I bought a set in 2004 and used them everyday for six years - at times setting up 60 guitars in one day (long days - launches etc). I’ve still got them and in fact, I was using them this evening. They still work brilliantly and they’ve probably worked on literally thousands of instruments.

Yes, they are expensive but when eventually they wear out completely I would not hesitate to buy the same again. In a heartbeat.

60 in one day....my hero. I'm chuffed if I do three =)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I buy Stewmac pre-cut bone nuts (which are excellent), then refine them with welder nozzle things.  That generally gets good results. I completely agree that you wouldn't/couldn't use those for cutting a nut from scratch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires