Mixing challenge No'6 Voting thread

Right then peeps.

Time to vote.

1st place get 5 points.
2nd place gets 3 points.
3rd place gets 1 point.

You cant vote for yourself. Voting closes Monday the 7th Oct at midnight.

all entries in the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/mixing-challenge-no6-power-of-love

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    FIRST! LOLZ,etc ...

Had a good listen and made some notes :)

5 points : @Branshen - really balanced mix with great clarity across the range, some nice sub action without mud.  Only criticism was vocals a little far back.
    3 points : @Fretwired - was a nice balanced mix, but I feel a little overloud so the kick was ... well, kicking, my ears a little.  Appreciate that's a taste thing rather than criticism though, I know I mix quiet.
    1 point : @oaf - just a little to zingy for me and the kick seemed lost in there, at least on my speakers.

Nice work chaps.

As a side note, since there are only 4 entries, I would like to allow people to allocate me 0 points if desired ... I clearly and deliberately went as far down the re-mix (rather than mix) route as I could without chopping and sampling so disqualification would be valid :)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2019
    Had a listen and ..

5 points: @oaf - the track is a vocal-based track and you got the vocals mixed perfectly. 

3 points: @Branshen: Good mix but the vocals, which are key to the track, were muddy and low in the mix IMHO.

1 point: @Bezzer : I actually liked your mix but the vocals were the key element IMHO .. somewhat lacking.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    5 points: @oaf ;

3 points: @Fretwired ;

1 point: @Bezzer ;

I preferred the balance of oaf's mix to fretwired's, the latter of which was a bit too bass heavy for my tastes.
    I truly enjoy bezzer's entry. Great fun, but as mentioned by the man himself, it's not strictly a mix!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Voting closeth this evensong!
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Oooh I didn't realise time was so tight!

A tricky one... each has pros and cons.

5 points: @Fretwired - I like this and thought it felt quite energetic and lively, so was in keeping with the feel/delivery of the song. I was not a huge fan of the the bass drum sound/low end but it wasn't quite enough of an issue to really cost you points! I wonder if, like me, you slightly oversquashed the final mix at the mastering stage?

3 points: @Branshen - I liked this but it felt a little flat at times and a bit distant. Perhaps you could have tweaked the FX, particularly on the vocals? They were quite far back and lacked definition somehow. A bit of compression might have helped? It had good balance and was very pleasant, but this was offset by a slight lack of energy. Perhaps more of a mastering issue than a mixing one?

1 point: @Bezzer - there were some nice ideas in this. I took a similar approach in some sections with gating (most obviously the strings around 2:45-3:00 which ended with a tape stop) so I could see where you were coming from! It would have been good to vary it a bit more perhaps and have left more of the (voice/)solo parts intact? Fun listen though :) and interesting that you replaced/augmented the bass drum: I wasn't a fan of either mic position.

If I could resubmit my entry I definitely wouldn't have mastered it so loud/squashed. I wonder if in future competitions we should aim to hit a particular (not too high...) Integrated LUFS level? Just a thought :)

Thanks for organising the comp, I enjoyed taking part and listening to the entries.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Closed