Solo of the Month (SotM) #53 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Were you running a slap back or doubling effect of some kind? Was a cool tone. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seeing as everyone is telling:

Fender USA Mag 7 Tele on Neck Pick Up

Cubase - Guitar Rig - Orange Amp Sim - Delay and Reverb
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited October 2019
    soma1975 said:
    No... set up two aux channels each with a pitch shift... +7cents and 10ms delay on one -7cents and 14ms delay on the other... one panned all the way left the other all the way right... then a post fader bus to one and a post fade bus to the other... fade to taste.

Screen grab of similar aux/pitch/bus from a previous project below. 

Ooh check out Eddie Kramer over here!

Sounded quite unique. In the good way! 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    Ooh check out Eddie Kramer over here!

Sounded quite unique. In the good way! 
    Works well on vocals!!!!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited October 2019
    poopot said:
    soma1975 said:
    No... set up two aux channels each with a pitch shift... +7cents and 10ms delay on one -7cents and 14ms delay on the other... one panned all the way left the other all the way right... then a post fader bus to one and a post fade bus to the other... fade to taste.

Screen grab of similar aux/pitch/bus from a previous project below. 

Is that left right pitch shift effect part of logic? I don't recognise the interface. I occasionally use Soundtoys Microshift or Schwa's CMX for that type of effect.

btw. I know Alan Murphy used that type of effect on the first Go West album because I was lucky to be invited to the studio one day when he was recording, and at the time the studio effect on the guitar was an AMS DMX. It stuck with me because his sound (and obviously the playing) was awesome.

It's not a competition.
    It’s just a mono pitch shift but yes part of logic... standard plugin... one on aux 19 and one on aux 20 in that instance.

i guess you could use any pitch shift tho’
  • poopot said:
    It’s just a mono pitch shift but yes part of logic... standard plugin... one on aux 19 and one on aux 20 in that instance.

Interesting. I've not thought of using that type of effect in mono. I've always used it to create a stereo doubling effect.

It's not a competition.
    edited October 2019
    poopot said:

Interesting. I've not thought of using that type of effect in mono. I've always used it to create a stereo doubling effect.

It does create a stereo effect. I think that grab was from one of the cover challenges iirc.

set up aux channel (aux 19 above) add a pitch shift to that aux channel and set it +7 cents, 10ms delay and 100%wet... pan that aux channel hard left.

set up another aux (aux 20 above) add the same shift but set it -7cents 22ms delay and 100% wet... pan that hard right.

both aux channels faders up.

on your track (guitar, vocs etc) bus out to aux 19 and to aux 20 post fader.

what you end up with is 3 voices.

left slightly sharp and delayed
    right slightly flat and delayed more
    dry guitar up the middle (or wherever you pan it)

you could take it further with more aux channels set to different pitches, delays panned differently to give you multi voices...

edit, will give that last one a go tonight!
    ok... quick and dirty...

sound sample is

dry guitar

guitar + aux 1 and aux 2

guitar + aux 1,2 3 and 4

https://soundcloud.com/user-617343615/pitchtest

aux channels and pitch shifters set up as below...

Sorry for highjacking the thread
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    My working...

Fender Tele neck pup
    Boss GT 001 - mild OD (only realised I'd forgotten to turn on delay after recording it) 
    A bit extra gain in Reaper and a bit of reverb

I usually listen to the backing track, sing a melody then work it out on guitar. But this time I just noodled a few ideas until I got something acceptable.
    I should have worked something out. I knew the opening lick of mine was on the Allmans version and the turnaround bit was something I learned in a guitar mag 30 years that popped back into my head.

In between was just fannying about.

edited October 2019
    poopot said:
    ok... quick and dirty...

...Sorry for highjacking the thread...

It's interesting to me

Guitar + aux 1 and aux 2 is very much like the effect from Soundtoys Microshift or Schwa's CMX.

With the settings for aux 3 and 4 (+5 and -7 semitones), I assume you're adding a 4th above and a 5th below (or just a fourth separated an octave in terms of the function of the added notes). So that pitch shifter effect can also be used as a harmoniser.

It's not a competition.
    poopot said:
    ok... quick and dirty...

...Sorry for highjacking the thread...

It's interesting to me

Guitar + aux 1 and aux 2 is very much like the effect from Soundtoys Microshift or Schwa's CMX.

With the settings for aux 3 and 4 (+5 and -7 semitones), I assume you're adding a 4th above and a 5th below (or just a fourth separated an octave in terms of the function of the added notes). So that pitch shifter effect can also be used as a harmoniser.

Exactly that... plus you can set it up in a way to have multiple voices in multiple places on the stereo spectrum... depends how you pan the aux channels...

And as it’s only a generic plugin it’s not processor heavy :)
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited October 2019
    Entered.....a rough shot at it on garageband. This blues progression was new to me, it was a worthwhile excercise learning the chords and practicing mixing up the major and minor pentatonic. 
  • Entered.....

In the playlist. 

That makes 10 entries A bumper crop this month.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Next month,  blues in A, following month,  blues in Dm... ;)
    Blues  =)

Blues in A  =)

• Next month,  blues in A, following month,  blues in Dm... ;)

I've already written and recorded next month's backing track. It's going to be country pop in G major based on the following:-

Pop in G ionian

poopot said:
    ...How about country or western?

It's not a competition.
    edited October 2019

...I've already written and recorded next month's backing track. It's going to be country pop in G major...

Oops, I've just realised it's in D major not G major. Oh well. But hopefully sounds like country pop.

It's not a competition.