Best clean amp(s) you’ve played/owned

What's Hot

Comments

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    My old Fender Prosonic on the clean channel was glorious! Wish I'd never sold it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - just awesome. There’s a reason Fender have sold so many.
    HiWatt - Just. The. Best.
    Vox AC30 - huge and unique.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Jimbro66 said:

Still kicking myself for not picking this up when it was available. Eli Abbott makes a sweet amp. 
    Me too but it was too awkward to get to Peterborough. Good to see that it’s stayed with you beyond the honeymoon period Mark. I kept an eye on the classifieds just in case 
    Sorry chaps.  One of the (very) few bits of kit my recent gear frenzy has left standing.  I'll note you both down in my little black book for when the inevitable flippage hormones rise...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JC - 120
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Think I prefer warmer Tweed cleans.  The Lazy J 20 is lovely.  If that's not enough power, then Jesse does make bigger amps.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    My RD dualist 100 watt...I have it set at 80 watts I think it is using tweed option ...the cleans are the best of any amp I have played ...it uses 2 tayden speakers ..a true brit and great brit ..I think...

The drives are just as good as the clean 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Rambler or Carr Slant V6
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    impmann said:
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - just awesome. There’s a reason Fender have sold so many.

I'm using one at practice tonight (green one, better speaker maybe?) and i gotta say, it's very meh. Fine, but not awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm well into my '74 pro reverb although my idea of clean is not very clean. I took V1 out for less headroom. The best clean sounds imo are when you're on the verge of clipping, nice and compressed and harmonically rich, so a wattage appropriate to your stage level is crucial I think
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Dominic said:
    Rambler or Carr Slant V6
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Mesa Blue Angel. The best clean sound of any amp I’ve ever heard, and the Simul setting is 38W. It came as a 1x12”, 2x10”, 4x10” or head - but they’re all very rare apart from the 1x12”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

bbill335 said:
    impmann said:

I'm using one at practice tonight (green one, better speaker maybe?) and i gotta say, it's very meh. Fine, but not awesome. 
    Each to their own, eh? :-)

Perhaps its not in the best of health - valves and bias can make a massive difference on them. 

impmann said:
    bbill335 said:

Perhaps its not in the best of health - valves and bias can make a massive difference on them. 
    If it’s the green Limited Edition one, it may have a V30... totally the wrong speaker for that amp, makes it really loud in a shouty and characterless way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    impmann said:
    bbill335 said:

If it’s the green Limited Edition one, it may have a V30... totally the wrong speaker for that amp, makes it really loud in a shouty and characterless way.
    V30? Yuk... thats not going to sound right.

impmann said:

V30? Yuk... thats not going to sound right.
    No, but it’s the only premium speaker there is! If you go by what a lot of manufacturers seem to think, anyway.

It’s a great speaker - in multiple-speaker, heavy cabinets driven by powerful, overdriven amps for hard rock and modern metal sounds.

So obviously the right choice for a clean, open-back combo which is used for everything *but* that type of sound! NOT...

• I love the clean tones on the Orange Rockerverb MK3 I have. But since getting my VHT Sig X again recently, I realised how much I have been missing the sparkly 'Fender-ish' cleans from that. It's a bit noisy but beautiful sounding.

Bye!

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    ICBM said:
    Mesa Blue Angel. The best clean sound of any amp I’ve ever heard, and the Simul setting is 38W. It came as a 1x12”, 2x10”, 4x10” or head - but they’re all very rare apart from the 1x12”.
    Is it much different to the Maverick? 
  • Ceriatone HRM Bluesmaster 50W into 2 Alnico Celestion Golds
    Basically a blackface Dumble clone, tweaked towards John Mayer
    I concur - exactly my rig :)

I would also add a Carr Rambler, LE Deltone, 5E3 (at low vol and setup correctly!)

Si
    Fuengi said:

Is it much different to the Maverick? 
    Yes, quite a lot - it's a bigger, clearer sound even compared to the clean channel on the Maverick - but much more a one-sound amp. I had both, and decided that I needed the much greater versatility of the Maverick and that it could cover the clean sound, so I sold the Blue Angel - luckily to a friend, so I still know where it is! - but afterwards realised that I had just preferred the Blue Angel... I miss it far more than the Maverick.