PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22791
    PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

Looks a bit like one of those photo-ops of an MP visiting an urban music project and trying to get down with the kids.  Except he's holding the guitar properly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    impmann said:
    PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

I thought he played a 335 back in the day?

I like that Custom, though... not too blingy. 
    Looks to be an older one from the sweet switch instead of a tone control. 
    I believe Tony Hicks has one of the first PRS guitars that came into the UK via Chandler's in the mid 80s.

Think the particular guitar as a vintage yellow one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Collings said:

I believe Tony Hicks has one of the first PRS guitars that came into the UK via Chandler's in the mid 80s.

I think I saw that guitar - the yellow one - in Chandler's in early 1986. It was supposedly the first one in the UK. It was in the shop next to a flame maple/wicker grille Boogie - the complete package for the professional musician that year!

I had no clue about the brand of course, but it looked nice and if I remember rightly was £1500 - an impossible amount of money for me at the time, I'd just spent everything I had (AKA my student grant) on a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe for £320 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Al di Meola is pretty cool
    Especially with that rainbow coloured one.

Although the science geek in me is infuriated by the colours being in the wrong order :).
    I recall a visit to the PRS factory experience show/event, when such guitars were released  and recall some dude asking the exact same question about the prism being arse about face as such
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Collings said:

I think I saw that guitar - the yellow one - in Chandler's in early 1986. It was supposedly the first one in the UK. It was in the shop next to a flame maple/wicker grille Boogie - the complete package for the professional musician that year!

I had no clue about the brand of course, but it looked nice and if I remember rightly was £1500 - an impossible amount of money for me at the time, I'd just spent everything I had (AKA my student grant) on a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe for £320 :).
    Live Aid USA and Santana playing a PRS was my first experience of such a guitar - that night I knew nothing of PRS but quickly found out that Chandler had the sole distribution - Sounds Great were then an early stockist

I recall chatting to Chandler's about stocking such guitars, but they would struggle to supply me with any more than 1 or 2 a year - this was around the 86/87/88 period

Recall Phil Hilbourne, Geoff Whitehorn + Tony Hicks as early UK players - All musicians and not dentists or doctors - It is sad/wrong, that today they are perceived as a rich mans tool, by so many - Yet the initial interest in such guitars came from musicians, who were fed up with 'mediocre' Gibson Guitars of that era
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875

It's like I am seeing double.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I always think of Custom Shop 'relic' guitars as guitars for dentists and lawyers.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    The least fashionable guitars ever. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    guitars4you said:
    Recall Phil Hilbourne, Geoff Whitehorn + Tony Hicks as early UK players - All musicians and not dentists or doctors - It is sad/wrong, that today they are perceived as a rich mans tool, by so many - Yet the initial interest in such guitars came from musicians, who were fed up with 'mediocre' Gibson Guitars of that era
    I remember Phil Hilborne had a strange looking PRS with a red top and a white back - always wondered if it was originally all white and he had the top refinished.  I also remember being impressed that Dave Burrluck - the early champion of PRS in the guitar mags - actually owned one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    ICBM said:
    Collings said:

I had one at the same time Tony had his from Chandlers but mine was maybe even before Chandlers had theirs. I swapped a 62 refinished Strat for it from someone in the USA. I wrote to PRS at the time asking them some details about it and Paul sent me quite a lot of info along with copies of reviews from USA papers etc.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tony Hicks was best known for playing Rickenbackers (6 and 12 string) in The Hollies in the 60s. Also 335 a bit. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I really hope they are cool and that coincides with me buying one. 

You are all welcome
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited October 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    guitars4you said:
    I remember Phil Hilborne had a strange looking PRS with a red top and a white back - always wondered if it was originally all white and he had the top refinished.  I also remember being impressed that Dave Burrluck - the early champion of PRS in the guitar mags - actually owned one.
    Phil - that one's in "Bonnie Pink" and it was a standard finish, although it's a finish not used very much these days.

I couldn't care less if PRS guitars are cool or not.  I play in an 80s covers band - musical integrity and coolness are not high on my list.  Having a fun and cracking night out in a local pub with a guitar that sounds great, feels great, plays great and stays in tune is most important to me!

I also play a Marshall, that's probably shockingly uncool too 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Philly_Q said:
    guitars4you said:
    Phil - that one's in "Bonnie Pink" and it was a standard finish, although it's a finish not used very much these days.

I couldn't care less if PRS guitars are cool or not.  I play in an 80s covers band - musical integrity and coolness are not high on my list.  Having a fun and cracking night out in a local pub with a guitar that sounds great, feels great, plays great and stays in tune is most important to me!

I also play a Marshall, that's probably shockingly uncool too 
    I find it interesting that Boss and Marshall have probably appeared on every stage in the world . Yet in today’s hand built boutique world, both are considered nothing better than Ford or Vauxhall by so many

interesting how such perceptions have changed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    I see Boss as more like Toyota - rarely all that interesting but reliable, safe and does the job you need it to do with a minimum of flash. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    I see Boss as more like Toyota - rarely all that interesting but reliable, safe and does the job you need it to do with a minimum of flash. 
    I agree about such a perception. Doesn’t mean the boutique model does a better job. But they are more interesting to talk about
    Twinfan said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Cheers Dave.  I can see why it's rare, it looked very odd!
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    dazzajl said:
    Nope. Not fashionable now and I don’t think they ever will be. 
    Fashion is for young people, PRS are not. 
    Thank goodness for that, I am neither fashionable nor young.

Having picked up a guitar for the first time ever in January this year at the tender age of 57 (bucket list) I had no idea about brand snobbery or even what constituted a good or bad instrument. I was very lucky in being able to try numerous different manufacturers and styles of guitar to basically find what felt and sounded right to me without having to worry about what anyone else thought. I came very close to buying a couple (both LP's) before picking up a friend's PRS McCarty 594, game over, it just felt and sounded right, as well as pretty much overshadowing everything else when it came to build quality. I've since added a Modern Eagle Quatro and can't see me ever selling either, as much as I enjoy looking at other makes and models GAS really doesn't exist in my universe.

Fashionable??? I honestly don't give a toss, I just know they work for me.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS are superb guitars. I love my 24.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Custom 24 SE and I love it.  It plays better than Stork.