PRS - Fashionable again?

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    PRS always makes me think of The Hollies, which makes me think of "He Ain't Heavy", which is now stuck in my head. So cheers for that.

That PRS is bloody gorgeous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Collings said:

I believe Tony Hicks has one of the first PRS guitars that came into the UK via Chandler's in the mid 80s.

Think the particular guitar as a vintage yellow one.
    I think I saw that guitar - the yellow one - in Chandler's in early 1986. It was supposedly the first one in the UK. It was in the shop next to a flame maple/wicker grille Boogie - the complete package for the professional musician that year!

Still sounds like a pretty good combination to me now...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited October 2019
    I was put off trying a PRS for years simply because I couldn't justify one and I was uncomfortable spending that much on a guitar. 
    I hankered after an SG style guitar with a decent tapped coiled sound and a decent trem. Let's be honest the gibson vibrola is pants. 
    PRS unjustly get a fair amount of scorn for building ornate ott guitars (dragons etc) but those are to showcase what they can do. I guarantee if I googled rhinestone custom shop telecaster then I'd find something just as gaudy. 
    The old guard don't find them cool, bottom line is a PRS just works. I'm struggling with it atm, I have a lovely DGT but I've been taking an american standard strat to practices. The strat sounds lovely and the guitar stays in tune okay. Having tried the DGT at one practice even with a new set of strings on, it just stayed in tune. 
    I'm sure the ones who think they are cool aren't. And those who are actually cool, arent even trying. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3544
    I had a Vela. I thought it was a great idea that didn't quite work. The combo of Tele bridge and very light mahogany made for some uncontrollable overtones. Great neck though. 

The problem as I see it is that as great as they are, you are still going to need a strat, Tele as those sounds are needed a lot and there is no substitute. Plus, they are a lot of coin, obvs. 

That said, I still get twitchy when thinking about a DGT Standard I didn't buy. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    edited October 2019
    I have a lot of different makes of guitar, including several classic vintage ones, but I also have several PRS's.  The only thing is that I have done is change the pickups in every one of them, as I don't like the sound of the stock PRS pickups.  Other than that, the guitars are very well made and are great to play.  They stay in tune well and have a great balance.  I really don't care weather they are cool or not, as they are an instrument for playing music, and everyone's definition of great music ends up being somewhat different.  The only thing I don't like on the newer hard tail models is that he has gone to a separate bridge and tailpiece, rather than the wrap around, but that is my preference and I'm sure lots of people are happy with it.

At the end of the day if you pick up a guitar and it feels right to you, then it is a good guitar for you, it doesn't matter who made it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    If anyone has an embarrassingly uncool ME1 stoptail they want to offload, I might be able to help you out of your predicament.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    stonevibe said:
    I always think of Custom Shop 'relic' guitars as guitars for dentists and lawyers.

Yes I do. Especially as Fender did CS events in Canary Wharf at one point. Also Relic guitars seem to be the ones I never see gigged. Literally never. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    jeztone2 said:
    stonevibe said:
    I always think of Custom Shop 'relic' guitars as guitars for dentists and lawyers.

Yes I do. Especially as Fender did CS events in Canary Wharf at one point. Also Relic guitars seem to be the ones I never see gigged. Literally never. 
    I saw Gilmour himself play a relic prototype of his signature model once... presume it was kind of a test-run, but not the only one I’ve ever noticed either. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    My lot ...
    t

#thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGG said:
    My lot ...
    t

Stunning 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    BGG said:
    My lot ...
    t

Is that an SC250 on the right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    It is, it's a beast of a guitar for rock.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited October 2019
    Don't get the anti PRS thing. 

The flash ones aren't to my taste, but everything seems to be engineering lead by people who care about producing the best instruments available at various prices. 

I don't think I've heard or played one that didn't  sound fine to me. 

They're not like a 'premuim' SUV, where marketing has produced a retrograde, compromised product sold purely on the basis of fashion. 

They just seem like quality musical instruments.

And I love The Hollies. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Whitecat said:
    jeztone2 said:
    stonevibe said:

I saw Gilmour himself play a relic prototype of his signature model once... presume it was kind of a test-run, but not the only one I’ve ever noticed either. 
    I’m talking non famous players. Down my local blues night it’s all American Standards or Am Deluxes modded up. The odd Les Paul, even the odd PRS (usually a Custom 22). But a relic CS Fender used in anger on stage? Not in my patch. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    BGG said:
    My lot ...
    t

That gold top is glorious. Awesome collection dude!
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    My ‘86 Standard is just a great all round guitar ... and so is my SE Soapbar - you wouldn’t think there’s such a huge gap in the amount of money they’re worth 
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Too many PRS guitars are just so try-hard. And try-hard is just so uncool.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    This is how I imagine a well played PRS ends up looking after a good few years of regular gigging.

https://i.imgur.com/v2RKjj7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xzX2gz0.jpg

Just that a lot of guitar collectors like them without a scratch on them, so the brand has this weird 'Guitar Forum-wisdom' of being an instrument for dentists.

Whereas faked Fender and Gibson Custom Shop relic work is seen as 'cool'. Which, it obviously isn't really.

Just imagine a mid 40s bloke in ripped jeans and it amounts to the same thing in my mind. Makes you look like a right twat.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    jeztone2 said:
    Whitecat said:
    jeztone2 said:
    stonevibe said:

I’m talking non famous players. Down my local blues night it’s all American Standards or Am Deluxes modded up. The odd Les Paul, even the odd PRS (usually a Custom 22). But a relic CS Fender used in anger on stage? Not in my patch. 
    Fair enough - I've seen a shocking number of PRS instruments though at local gigs personally, more than you'd expect % wise based on the sales division between PRS, Gibson & Fender, but you are right that there are a lot of more basic USA made Fenders...

Les Pauls seem to be the *least* used when I see small bands, but 335s are not as uncommon.