Les Paul Candy Apple Lime refin /Strat CA Orange

What's Hot
scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
edited October 2019 in Making & Modding
Hi. I thought I'd post some pics of my LP that I've just refinished. Its a 2010 traditional with OX4 pickups...big question now is whether to mollycoddle it or to not worry, pick up a few chips and some wear then find a big enough freezer to get some lacquer checking..I must have painted this damned thing four times until I was happy. cheers. Will

This one below was my inspiration..I dont think I'm a million miles off:

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Love it. Go for the relicing I say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Nice one Will! It's different...I like it! :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Now that it is cool much better than old man burst. Did you spray it yourself? If so any progress pics? 
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Thanks for the interest chaps. I'd love to relic it but I would need a massive freezer to stick it in. I might try with some big bags of ice or something then heat it up quickly.. or maybe get the razor blade out.
    Yes, I did paint it myself. Lime green tint over gold metallic. I have a few "progress" pics, they are all actually different attempts to get the colour I wanted but I didnt feel it was quite right..honestly I must have painted it five times in all.
    The one below is when I did it all metallic but thought I'd gone too far! Looking again now, the all green would look superb once the back of teh neck started to rub away. 

Then there was the time I invented a colour in  between orange and green..

Then there was the time I did it more of a sage green...

Then there one where I got a too inconsistent finish..

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72238
    Don't ruin it! It looks so much cooler pristine, and it will look fine with natural wear... the relic one looks diseased or something.

If you have an urge to keep yourself busy and have more of that paint, leave the guitar alone and see if @Emp_Fab would like you to do a car :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Wow awesome work.  It's definitely cooler as a candy apple lime green top with the natural back and sides.  Id love to do something similarvwith my LP only candy purple instead of green
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    +1 on leaving it. Why mess up such a tidy looking job  :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    If you haven’t spayed enough top coat to make Keith Richards look like a Botox survivor, it’ll age nicely anyway
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Leave it alone, you might have to spray it 5 more times if you horlicks the relicing.  It's bloody fabulous !!!! (WOWd)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Thank you very much chaps for your kind comments - means a lot. In other candyapplenews, at the same time as Limey, I also painted an E series Japan Strat. In candy apple orange. I used a silver metallic base which comes through in a very subtle way. I loved the way this one came out, unfortunately so did my Daughter...So now she has her first guitar and is keen to learn! which is lovely:) I thought this was the end of my painting, but there is a stripped Bonamassa Firebird in my shed (aka "The CustomShed") which keeps looking at me. Just need to choose a colour for that one.
    I thought about the finish on the LP and decided to go with "natural relicing":) So, I'm leaving it out of the case as a "pick up as you walk by" guitar! Will get a few dings no doubt and I'll play it to death and see what happens! for what its worth here are a few pics of the strat:
    Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Leave it alone, you might have to spray it 5 more times if you horlicks the relicing.  It's bloody fabulous !!!! (WOWd)
    @Jalapeno ;

This is possibly the great advice I could receive! :)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2376
    I read the thread title and though "oh dear that's going to look..." Holy shit that's pretty!
    Leave it, play it, play it again then play some more, it's only going to get better. 
    Top work! 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Looks wonderful mate. Well done.
    Many thanks for the kind comments @Deadman ;
    and @Sarge ;

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Stunning finish - both of them :)
    Ive been rattling around some ideas for a LP build with cream P90's. Had thought a darker Pelham Blue was the way to go. But having seen yours.......
    And definitely looks classier with the more natural back.

Now. How does one go about stripping an Epiphone Dot that i have long considered refinishing?

Adam
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That is gorgeous.  Kudos and respect awarded in equal measure...