Deluxe Reverb: Will I regret trading for a Princeton?

What's Hot
I am doing little to no playing/gigging at the moment.

Due to a host of irritations with a band I was 'sessioning' in (my mate is a solo artist, and I was in his band) I've sacked that off.

The little trio I play in is spread across the North West and Wales, and we find it really hard to get together.

And yet, this 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb is sitting here in my house, doing fuck all. Its too loud to play, its too large to store...you see where I'm going with this.

So, I'm thinking of trading it/selling and buying a 68 Custom Princeton instead. Questions:
  • Will this suit home volume playing?
  • Will it battle a drummer in practice (especially if I opt for a 12" speaker)
  • ...Am I going to regret not having a Deluxe Reverb if I get in a gigging band again?
  • Is there another amp i should be looking at for the same or less money the Deluxe would bag me?
To be honest, I probably won't act on this because selling amps is a pain. And I know the Princeton question is asked a lot. Yet, here I am.

Thanks in advance...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I don't know about the minutiae but if you like the sound of the DR I'd keep it.  I'm not convinced you'll get that much extra benefit of owning a Princeton for home playing as they can both get quite loud.  Keep the DR on a v low volume at home because you'd probably have to do the same with a Princeton (but just not quite so much).  An attenuator could be another option?  There may be other reasons why you fancy a change though, weight etc.
  • thebreeze said:
     An attenuator could be another option?  There may be other reasons why you fancy a change though, weight etc.
    I've looked at attenuators - the cost for a decent one is ridiculous. Its like buying another amp! I'm not to fussed about a change, I really like the DR and like many I feel like its the perfect sound for me; its just loud.

In an ideal world I'd have a Laney L5 to go with it, but just don't have the cash. I'm wondering if a Mesa with the switchable power would be a good compromise as they're essentially faffed with Princetons; but they tend to fetch a lot of money and I'm not looking to spend.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30872
    This is quite a tough one, but on balance, I see the PRRI as having a little more character than the DRRI. The DRRI is the better pedal platform due to headroom but the Princeton has more colouration to your tone in a good way.

Re other options- depends on if you need reverb- the 57 Deluxe is my personal fave- and the 62 Brownface princeton is a king amongst amps.

The other one I'd consider is a Boogie Studio 22+

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Re other options- depends on if you need reverb- 
    Spring reverb is a bit of a requirement. I think I'd really miss it - especially if I was going pedal-free for one reason or another.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30872

If I were you I'd be looking for an original SF Princeton at the 1000/1200 mark

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 795
    edited October 2019
    thebreeze said:
     An attenuator could be another option?  There may be other reasons why you fancy a change though, weight etc.
    I've looked at attenuators - the cost for a decent one is ridiculous. Its like buying another amp! I'm not to fussed about a change, I really like the DR and like many I feel like its the perfect sound for me; its just loud.

Are you looking to be able to drive the power section at home, or just make the clean sound slightly more responsive with a bit more of a gradual taper on the volume?

If it’s the latter, would it be worth looking into a 5751 in the preamp or/and a less efficient speaker?

I have a 65 DRRI that I play at low volumes at home with pedals as well as playing out. It’s taken a bit of fettling (speaker swap, modding the circuit for reverb on both channels like your CDR) but I’m glad I stuck with it. I may yet put a 5751 in one of the channels for a smoother volume taper.

Edit: looks like the stock speaker efficiency is 98dB - you might struggle to find anything much lower. G12M Creamback and Neo Creamback are both 97dB but might sound a bit different.
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited October 2019
    thebreeze said:

Are you looking to be able to drive the power section at home, or just make the clean sound slightly more responsive with a bit more of a gradual taper on the volume?
    Probably the latter? You know it's just thunderous even at 2 on the dial. And theres certainly a point between 1 and 2 where the amp's inherent hiss is louder than the guitar, and then you turn it up and its then its too loud. Really i just want it to be at a volume where the tone is good but you can't hear in every room of the house.

In all honesty, its probably because its a 22w amp and a 12" speaker. There's only so much you can do!
  • thebreeze said:

Probably the latter? You know it's just thunderous even at 2 on the dial. And theres certainly a point between 1 and 2 where the amp's inherent hiss is louder than the guitar, and then you turn it up and its then its too loud. Really i just want it to be at a volume where the tone is good but you can't hear in every room of the house.

In all honesty, its probably because its a 22w amp and a 12" speaker. There's only so much you can do!
    I can relate to all of the above points! 
    Sone fresh preamp valves and a 240v re-wire recently did drop the hiss a little bit on mine.

A 5751 and a speaker which is more sparkly and responsive at really low volumes could still be worth a punt?

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I had a Princeton and found it too loud for home and too quiet for stage...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • roberty said:
    My fears exactly. It does seem that an attenuator or a second, much smaller amp is whats needed.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Whenever I’ve A/B’d a Princeton and a Deluxe, I’ve always thought the Princeton was the better sounding amp. That said, if you ever get back into gigging, the Princeton might not work out so well.
  • Whenever I’ve A/B’d a Princeton and a Deluxe, I’ve always thought the Princeton was the better sounding amp. That said, if you ever get back into gigging, the Princeton might not work out so well.
    I did A/B'd them in the shop; and preferred the Deluxe. no accounting for taste!
  • The Princeton won’t be loud enough for gigging if you have even a moderately loud drummer, assuming you’re doing some sort of rock/pop thing. Jazz, singer-songwriter type stuff would work. 
  • Do you have room for an additional slightly smaller amp just for home? The L5 Lionheart in the classifieds looks interesting
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    roberty said:
    this says to me that, with the right speaker, it could be ok for either but not really both.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1794
    I was in a very similar position but with a 68 Custom Vibrolux. It was just sitting there because it was too loud so I bought a Jet City Jettenuator and it’s made the difference. I can dial up the sound on the amp that like then use the attenuators to make it a volume that fits. 

I paid £80 for it delivered. Definitely recommended
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    My own personal opinion is that if it isn't working for you (at home, in this case), move it on and get something more suitable. Sure it costs money, sure you might lose a bit, but that's part of the game and the fun !

I've always thought that the Princeton is a sweet home/small gig amp.
  • Do you have room for an additional slightly smaller amp just for home? The L5 Lionheart in the classifieds looks interesting
    If I had the money that is what I would buy.

the_jaffa said:
    I was in a very similar position but with a 68 Custom Vibrolux. It was just sitting there because it was too loud so I bought a Jet City Jettenuator and it’s made the difference. I can dial up the sound on the amp that like then use the attenuators to make it a volume that fits. 

I paid £80 for it delivered. Definitely recommended
    This is interesting. https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jettenuator.htm - this one? I'm assuming at this price the cab sim is crap. Reviews says its a bit dark but you can account for that.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3815
    Princeton needs an efficient 12" speaker in it for gigging if you want a clean sound. Common mod. JJ 6v6's add more beef too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom