Toto - Hold the Line OR End of the Line

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
Here are a couple of recent interviews with Steve Lukather and why things don't look good for the future of the band.

It's a shame if that does happen as I've seen Toto many times since the 80s but the shows I've seen over the last 3 years have been fabulous and for me, it's been them at their best.Their latest rhythm section was just one of the best out there.

https://themusicuniverse.com/steve-lukather-toto-episode-1/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited October 2019
    The gist of this if people couldn't be asked to listen/watch the vids is that Jeff Porcaro's widow sued the band for 'royalties supposedly owed'. It's broken them as a unit and financially and so it looks like we won't see them as Toto for a while or possibly, ever again 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited October 2019
    I knew they were taking a break after the current tour but didn't know the reason behind it.

Seems strange as it always appeared from the outside that the band took care of the Porcaro family financially following Jeff and Mike's deaths. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited October 2019
    Well, Lukather can't say much but he's intimated that there's no love lost between him and JP's wife. She's a billionaire (? through career or new marriage) and had the funds to take them on.

If you read and listen to Luke talk anytime, JP and the Porcaro clan were family to him and obviously, Steve Porcaro is still in the band and they say they always looked after the Porcaros.

Who knows what the truth is but this is sad news. Also, David Paich has been ill and he wasn't on some of the shows and it seems this is the final nail in the coffin.

Luke still does the odd session and he's busy in Ringo Starr's All Star band but they're STILL so good live and it saddens me if this is it for Toto. They're much-loved and hugely successful in Europe and Japan but sadly, not so much, or as popular in the US and it's never been where they made their money.
  • What a f'kin world we live in eh? Always been a massive Toto fan and seem them loads of time. Luke is my all time gtr hero...

Luke's book is a great read and highlights how close he was to the Porcaro crew..

I do detest the world sometimes.. :(

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    So...thats it then - Luke posted a farewell type post on FB/Twitter last night...Toto is no more (in its current form), I don't think Paich will tour again (he had some form of seizure at the end of the 40 trips tour he did take part in) which leaves Steve P and Lukather as the only true original members (Ok, Joseph is technically an original member)

Be interesting to see what will happen but I don't think we'll see Toto again - and that makes me feel very sad....

I hope Porcaro's wife is happy with herself....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Sad times but all things must pass... very happy the one time I did see them it was with Paich. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Whitecat said:
    Sad times but all things must pass... very happy the one time I did see them it was with Paich. 
    Yes, I was one of the lucky ones to have seen and met all of the Porcaros and Paich over the years.

As good as the stand-ins have been - with Paich (especially) they were a different band. This last incarnation with Xavier and Shannon though was spookily close to “real” lineup IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    A sad day indeed. Was lucky enough to see them on the Falling inBetween tour with my dad, with all current living members in tow (Simon Philips is as good of a replacement as you can get for Jeff I guess) and they were superb.