edrum GAS

What's Hot
Why is it that I never really suffered GAS when it came to the guitar but since buying a Roland TD1-DMK earlier this year I've already spent more than it cost on changing things to it, perhaps it's because the parts coming in the post are fairly small compared to a guitar.

Anyway I'm really enjoying drum lessons, wish I'd taken it up years ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 12182
    I’m actually the other way around round. I’ve been drumming since January, got my own kit in May (Roland TDK17KVX), and haven’t thought about any other drum GAS since, beyond sticks. 

    I love it though - seems to engage a different bit of brain than guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 23169
    I'm also a guitarist who has converted to drumming.
    I hate e-kits with a passion.
    I have one- a Roland TD50K and everything about it sucks.

    Most of my practice is done on a regular kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals.
    I've said the reasons why loads of times so won't bore you again.

    My drum GAS is mostly centred around snare drums and cymbals.

    "And what would humans be without love?"
    “RARE, said Death.”

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • neilgneilg Frets: 32
    octatonic said:
    I'm also a guitarist who has converted to drumming.
    I hate e-kits with a passion.
    I have one- a Roland TD50K and everything about it sucks.

    Most of my practice is done on a regular kit with mesh heads and low volume cymbals.
    I've said the reasons why loads of times so won't bore you again.

    My drum GAS is mostly centred around snare drums and cymbals.
    In my situation it would be a case of fitting a regular drum kit into the space I've got and not being able to fit myself in to play it or having the e-drum and really enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 22
    neilg said:
    Why is it that I never really suffered GAS when it came to the guitar but since buying a Roland TD1-DMK earlier this year I've already spent more than it cost on changing things to it, perhaps it's because the parts coming in the post are fairly small compared to a guitar.

    Anyway I'm really enjoying drum lessons, wish I'd taken it up years ago.
    What have you changed? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • neilgneilg Frets: 32
    aspnet said:
    neilg said:
    Why is it that I never really suffered GAS when it came to the guitar but since buying a Roland TD1-DMK earlier this year I've already spent more than it cost on changing things to it, perhaps it's because the parts coming in the post are fairly small compared to a guitar.

    Anyway I'm really enjoying drum lessons, wish I'd taken it up years ago.
    What have you changed? 
    Of the top of my head 

    Snare to a PDX100
    Hi-Hat pedal to a FD-9
    Module to a TD-17
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • aspnetaspnet Frets: 22
    Useful to know. I've recently bought a TD1DMK as well for my son and I to bash away at. I'd been stuck between going all in for a TD17KVX but couldn't justify the extra cash and space is at a premium. Hasn't taken me long to feel a little constrained though so contemplating upgrades vs selling it on and just buying the more expensive kit in the new year

    Was also looking at picking up a TD17 module, along with a 2nd crash.How do you find the new snare & hi-hat pedal compared to stock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • neilgneilg Frets: 32
    edited October 9
    Yeah, I could do with getting a second crash for the songs I've just started learning.

    My decision to change the module was due to the poor balancing of each part of the kit, the floor tom being a lot louder than anything else either the kick. I'm really pleased with the sounds of the TD17 in comparison but I guess I should be considering it alone cost more than the whole TD1 kit.

    The hi-hat pedal is night and day compared to the standard one which doesn't really have any feel to it.

    The snare is just a case of having something bigger to hit, I'd moved the kit pdx 8 snare to the low tom position, I'm already toying with maybe getting a bigger snare still and moving the pdx100 to the low tom and the pdx8 to the high tom position.  It's those white plastic rings around the edge of the pad which are a nuisance.

    I'd also forgot I'd replaced the cheap kick pedal that came as part of the bundle I bought with a Pearl P932.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.