Non-reverse Firebirds

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
Tell me about your experiences!

They tick a lot of boxes for me P90, maestro and possibly vintage - I quite fancy an older bird...

I’d take a punt on this if it was in the UK.

Gibson Firebird III Natural Refin 1965
https://reverb.com/item/28468685-gibson-firebird-iii-natural-refin-1965?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

Cheers 
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3324
    edited October 2019
    Love the balance of them, work great imho. I also think the 3xp90 versions I have been luck enough to try, have been amongst the most versatile guitars I have ever played.

So, in short, do it.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    I had a custom shop model, TV white, 3 P90’s, loved it, sold it because I wasn’t I wasn’t in a band, regret it.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Great guitars, I've had loads. Only trouble is they are maybe a 'luxury' guitar - I.e not used as a main guitar down the Dog and Anchor. I usually struggle not using them as much then sell on. Then regret. Then buy again. 

I've a modded CS one I've just got back - had it years ago and sold it. I'm hoping to keep this one now for a while :) If going vintage remember the mid to later 60s ones will have the narrow nut cocktail stick neck profile which is not for everyone.

Oh and the case is usually enormous, have a van ready for that alone.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    shugz said:
    I have since discovered that of the ‘average’ cars about, very few can fit a firebird in; the Skoda Octavia comes highly recommended if you buy your cars for no other reason than to accommodate a guitar. ;) 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Gents

I’ve been watching too many National concerts on YouTube - the Dessner twins create some great music with theirs...and the solo from Weller’s You do Something to Me was played on one. Not just that but they do look good - better than the reverse models.

There’s no rush - I’d have to get rid of one or two first to raise some funds anyway.

If I was lucky enough to pick up a ‘players’ vintage I could live with the neck size and narrow nut. Would it be Rickenbacker narrow?

It would be a luxury item and not my main guitar so no worries on that front. I haven’t gigged for nearly 10 years anyway. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27569
    Iamnobody said:

...too many National concerts on YouTube... 
    No such thing ;) :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Iamnobody said:

...too many National concerts on YouTube... 
    No such thing  
    I know tell me about it!

Last night the family were out - when they came home National vids we’re still playing - over an hour after I’d left the room I came back and YouTube was still cycling through them and no one was complaining. They’re such a good live band.

I still don’t care too much for the new album though...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    Iamnobody said:
    That's a beauty.  6 lbs 15.9 oz!
    JezWynd said:
    Iamnobody said:
    That’s very cool!
    JezWynd said:
    Iamnobody said:
    That’s very cool!
    That’s well over £2k with delivery costs and Import costs. Too much to risk buying unseen. Would want to find  a maestro to fit back on as well...so more cost. It would probably be a £2.5k purchase.
    shugz said:
    I have since discovered that of the ‘average’ cars about, very few can fit a firebird in; the Skoda Octavia comes highly recommended if you buy your cars for no other reason than to accommodate a guitar. ;) 
    Having owned 2 x vRS Octavias I concur. 

www.proudhoney.com

Iamnobody said:
    Thanks Gents

I’ve been watching too many National concerts on YouTube - the Dessner twins create some great music with theirs...and the solo from Weller’s You do Something to Me was played on one. Not just that but they do look good - better than the reverse models.

There’s no rush - I’d have to get rid of one or two first to raise some funds anyway.

If I was lucky enough to pick up a ‘players’ vintage I could live with the neck size and narrow nut. Would it be Rickenbacker narrow?

It would be a luxury item and not my main guitar so no worries on that front. I haven’t gigged for nearly 10 years anyway. 
    Messed around with my new/old one when I got it back. Needed a setup and fixed the neck volume pot which had disintegrated. Definitely not note for note but always a fan of the Firebird solo in YDSTM. Weller a very underrated guitar player in my humble pie opinion. Cover your ears, bridge pickup a Lollar:

H

www.proudhoney.com

shugz said:
    shugz said:
    So in short: include the cost of a new car in with guitar. :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    @RiftAmps has got a nice old one of I remember correctly.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3953
    I think they look awesome. Gibson's Jazzmaster. Never played one though.
    shugz said:
    shugz said:
    So in short: include the cost of a new car in with guitar. :+1: 
    This :) 

www.proudhoney.com

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    they are the absolute best

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That is stunning @bbill335 ;

H

www.proudhoney.com

edited October 2019
    shugz said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Thanks Gents

I’ve been watching too many National concerts on YouTube - the Dessner twins create some great music with theirs...and the solo from Weller’s You do Something to Me was played on one.
    Messed around with my new/old one when I got it back. Needed a setup and fixed the neck volume pot which had disintegrated. Definitely not note for note but always a fan of the Firebird solo in YDSTM. Weller a very underrated guitar player in my humble pie opinion. Cover your ears, bridge pickup a Lollar:

H
    Nice. Does the maestro play ok? I’ve never had one but being a big Weller fan if fancy an SG with one.

I bet it would sound even better on the neck pickup - I’d always assumed that’s how that solo was recorded? It’s a beautiful solo one to learn note for note and also good to jam out - Cradock varies the theme live. 

I’d agree Weller is recognised as a songwriter but possibly underrated as a guitarist - he’s subtle though a lot of the time, he knows how to play a concise melodic solo - YDStM, Strange Museum, Peacock Suit, Changing Man, Hung Up, Stanley Road, Heavy Soul pt1 all have that.

He can also jam though - the extended guitar solos on Foot of the Mountain live, and Heavy Soul pt2 etc.  

I’d love  it if he made a really dirty/bluesy guitar based album - taking the themes from Whirlpools’, Heavy Soul etc and just going for it. I don’t think he’s written anything particularly great since around 2005 though. Just my opinion of course...

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    Winwood used one in Traffic

Joe from Wolf People - one of the best live bands - uses one too