Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ginger Baker

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1797
    edited October 2019
    Tweet from his account:

The Baker family are sad to announce that Ginger is critically ill in hospital. Please keep him in your prayers tonight”

Doesn’t sound good
  • That's a shame, he's one of the great's for sure.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7024
    Fingers crossed he pulls through; he’s 80 years old and the poor chap has serious cardiovascular problems.
  • That's a shame. Mad as a bag of badgers but a proper genius. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I was just chatting about him with someone in a guitar shop on the weekend.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    One of the only drummers who could deliver bearable extended drum solos.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I watched the documentary Beware Of Mr. Baker recently - he really does fit the Byron description of ‘mad, bad and dangerous to know’, and to be honest it’s a miracle he’s lived as long as this anyway... but still sad to hear he’s not doing well.

Unquestionably one of the greatest rock drummers ever, quite possibly the greatest of all, even though he would dispute he even was one and not a jazz drummer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a great exchange with him on facebook in a Joe Bonamassa thread. Jokingly saying "there is an advertisement not to take drugs", he responded, too right now buy my book to see the real story.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Remember seeing a documentary on him, really enjoyed his personality, a true character.
  • ICBM said:
    I watched the documentary Beware Of Mr. Baker recently - he really does fit the Byron description of ‘mad, bad and dangerous to know’, and to be honest it’s a miracle he’s lived as long as this anyway... but still sad to hear he’s not doing well.

Unquestionably one of the greatest rock drummers ever, quite possibly the greatest of all, even though he would dispute he even was one and not a jazz drummer.
    For anyone who's not seen the documentary 'The Art of Drumming' it's really worth checking out to see how certain drummers really changed the vocabulary for drumming in popular music and it's real clear to see how much Ginger Baker contributed to the instrument's evolution in rock music (and so on) but was an incredible drummer in his own right.

Just watch this video! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy_z4on1xHM

A real fucking legend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShmooShmoo Frets: 109
    legend!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Amazing drummer. Glad to have caught him live with Jack Bruce and Gary Moore. 

Hopefully he will pull through.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Sassafras said:
    One of the only drummers who could deliver bearable extended drum solos.
    But, but ...... Toad.  :s
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Go back and listen to him on the Graham Bond album "Live at Klook's Kleek". One of the finest ever bands (Baker, Jack Bruce, Dick Heckstall-Smith and Graham Bond), they were a tour de force playing live.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Sad news, I always admired his spiky demeanor. Rest in peace. Just Clapton left now :( 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    A legend and a true one-off.  They don't make them like that any more
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My musical education started with two of my dad’s LPs. One was Hendrix, the other Cream. 

RIP Ginger. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    RIP indeed. Absolute monster of a drummer.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Greatest rock drummer ever.

Sadly it's now safe to say that without fear of him punching your lights out for calling him a 'rock' drummer... he always said he was a jazz drummer.

:(

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    R.I.P. 

What a legend.