Thinned out shortlist

What's Hot
Have been looking for a few weeks for a guitar that I can learn on but not outgrow (not physically). I've done the ebay bargain an ended up with a bit of a twisted neck so not going down that route again. I narrowed the field to a Fender CD140SCE, Sigma DTC-28HE, Epiphone DR500 and a Takamine GD93. They all have a sound I really like and although they are different shapes I would be happy with any of them. I did try a Faith, but didn't like the finish on the Naked model particularly. The Yamaha's were nice but a bit vanilla. Looks wise the Takamine does it and so does the Sigma. Considering the price difference I was really impressed with the Fender but am concerned that it comes with a very nice case, so how have they produced it for so little money? Is it likely to fall to bits in a shorter period of time? 

As I haven't played enough to know if I want to strum or pick, I need to get something of an all rounder. If I had seen all of them in the same shop, it would have been easier, but unfortunately I have not managed to do a side by side of any of them. The Sigma belongs to  guy I work with, but I will be buying new.

Are there any of the 4 I have looked at a stand out model that can be recommended by anyone on here?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Fender should stick to making Telecasters. Look at the Eastman E1D. It’s phenomenal 
  • I have a fender 140 00  they arebrilliant for the money, hard case too.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    Andy79 said:
    Fender should stick to making Telecasters. Look at the Eastman E1D. It’s phenomenal 
    Do they make anything of similar spec with a long scale? That looks nice.
    Pretty standard 25.4 for a dread, think you would struggle to get anything longer.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    The E1D is an absurd value and yeah they’re not short scale - they’re basically a quality copy of the archetypal acoustic guitar the Martin D18 (cost £2.4k).  I’d want to be certain I was going to “make it” as a player and not give up if I was going to spend the 500 smackers though.  I’d be tempted to get something cheap second hand to get started on then sell it and buy something awesome like the Eastman as soon as I was confident playing along with a few favourite tunes.

Something like a used Baby Taylor, GS Mini or whatever would be a doddle to start learning chords on.

Chances are any guitar is going to need a setup unless it’s a used one that’s been set up reasonably recently.  The setup more than anything could make the difference between becoming a guitarist and giving up in frustration.
    I don’t think there’s any reason for buying a cheaper instrument because you may not make it.
    Sigma, recording king and Eastman are better guitars than cheap Taylors and Epiphones and Fenders, in my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Epiphone DR500 out of all these for me. I have played one and it was decent. All solid wood. 43mm nut if you prefer that to 1.75" nuts.

That E1D looks good if you can live without a cutaway!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Andy79 said:
    I don’t think there’s any reason for buying a cheaper instrument because you may not make it.
    Sigma, recording king and Eastman are better guitars than cheap Taylors and Epiphones and Fenders, in my opinion. 
    Eastman's are good but just watch out for the finishing and set-up. The nut I had on my brand new E10ss was so poorly cut that Peach paid for a new one and the marks on the edge of the fretboard are sloppy. That's not great for a guitar that costs over £1k and you wouldn't get finishing that sloppy on a Taylor. 

Having said that it plays beautifully (with a new nut) and sounds incredible. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3613
    Have another look at the Faith range. The Naked series have a thin finish by design but the other ranges have a better finish. I also think they offer great value for money.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    edited October 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Pretty standard 25.4 for a dread, think you would struggle to get anything longer.
    Ah. The ad I saw said 24.5. I see now httpsthat the description and spec here differ. ://www.projectmusic.net/eastman-e1d-22630-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWu9NgdvSMJ3lZRxohKz6lu5NOA5ATdLxncM1TVNkSvztkCLPsO9ODoaAjTrEALw_wcB

25.5 is perfect.
    Thats a typo. 
    Here’s the blurb from Eastman 

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1d
    It’s an incredible guitar. Don’t be put off by the sapele. Nobody can tell it from Mahogany, just check the internet debate over the Martin sapele, mahogany thing. 
  • lapua65lapua65 Frets: 42
    The Eastman is a good shout but I hadn't considered the E1D I had a quick look at the AC122 (?) that has the electronics. The E1D looks nice and just watched a demo on Rguitars and they are quite local to me.
  • Andy79 said:
    It’s an incredible guitar. Don’t be put off by the sapele. Nobody can tell it from Mahogany, just check the internet debate over the Martin sapele, mahogany thing. 
    I prefer sapele!
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    There’s an E1D on eBay at £370 BIN, plus offers.  Collection only in Preston though.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Andy79 said:
    I prefer sapele!
    So you can tell the difference! 
    I’ll wage my dinner that in a blind test nobody could. Hard enough telling rosewood from mahogany let alone mahogany from mahogany