Mad idea - WDW with a setero 2x12 and a 1x12?

What's Hot
Hi all - just have a few cabs knocking around at home with a Hxfx and a stereo power amp. My marshall has a line out so I'm just wondering could you run a w/d/w using the 3 inputs on tyhe 2 cabs - ie have one speaker in the 2x12 as your dry cab and then feed the 2 "outer" speakers the stereo feed from the power amp?
I know there might be an issue with bleed from one speaker into the other in the 2x12 (Iirc I remember someone talking about this happening in a 4x12 before I think).

Anyway, just knockin this idea around!
Any experiences with it??
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Where does the line out come from?  after the pre amp , after the power amp (as a DI) or after power amp with a speaker sim on?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    You're probably better to use the 1x12" for the dry and the 2x12" for the stereo wet signal. Put the 1x12" on the top of the 2x12" and you should get a good WDW effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    You're probably better to use the 1x12" for the dry and the 2x12" for the stereo wet signal. Put the 1x12" on the top of the 2x12" and you should get a good WDW effect.
    I can confirm this works as I did the same thing using an Engl 1x12 combo, a Velocity 120 stereo poweramp and a 2x12 Cab with an H9. 

Although I put the 2x12 ontop of the 1x12 because it really annoyed the bassist.  
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    this kind of thing makes my brain hurt
  • sgosden said:

Where does the line out come from?  after the pre amp , after the power amp (as a DI) or after power amp with a speaker sim on?

Not sure - its a Satriani Marshall.. Gonna try this out tomorrow when everyone goes to work/school!
    ANyone used the HXFX in wdw here? How diffucult is it to set up I wonder... (Im a caveman btw)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited October 2019
    sgosden said:

Not sure - its a Satriani Marshall.. Gonna try this out tomorrow when everyone goes to work/school!
    ANyone used the HXFX in wdw here? How diffucult is it to set up I wonder... (Im a caveman btw)
    As far as I recall. 
    You can output the signal via the send/return jacks from a split signal
    path 

So use the HX Effects in the fx loop of the Marshall, and then just split the signal to a B path in the HX and select the output to be the Send 1, that will go back to your Marshall fx return 
    and the main signal of the A path on the HX Effects you load up with whatever you want going to the stereo power amp and this come out of the main output L/R jacks.  you could get all smart like and actually hook up the Marshall in 4CM too using the send/return loop and an fx loop block in the signal path before the split to A-B. 

If you like that sort of thing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Thanks Ben - I was iterally just gonna leave the marshall dry (maybe with a physical drive in front) and use the HX in the poweramp as a stereo rev/dly/vibe thing. Ill try both! Maybe the 4cm if ihave enough cables lying around =0

• I know there might be an issue with bleed from one speaker into the other in the 2x12 (Iirc I remember someone talking about this happening in a 4x12 before I think).

I wouldn't have thought so. The chorus on a JC-120 operates on one of the two speakers. 

I've had a dry 2x12" amp in the middle of two wet 1x12" amps and I loved it. Absolutely mental pedalboard but space rock heaven for me.