A decent flanger for not much money

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3614
edited October 2019 in FX
I'm going through a bit of a J.Mascis phase at the moment, got my Big Muff and obviously need a flanger.

It won't be used a lot but something half decent for reasonable money is my goal.

Any recommendations?

(Nothing ridiculously exotic and highly priced please.)

< Edit. Bought a Joyo.  :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I just purchased a DOD FX75B Flanger for under £50. It lands today. There are a few around. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Boss BF-2

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    The Mooer Elec Lady always gets recommended in these flanger threads. It is good but my preference is the Maxon FL9 or it's Ibanez badged version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    The Donner Jet Convolution is a cheaper version of the Mooer Elec Lady / E-Lady. Internally they are the same PCB but about half the price. I picked one up for about £25 new. Sounds pretty good to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuengi said:
    I just purchased a DOD FX75B Flanger for under £50. It lands today. There are a few around. 
    Yep. I had a 75B (silver) many years ago, and a 75C (green) more recently. Both really good- from memory the B is more metallic and jet-plane-y, the C is warmer and more psychedelic sounding.

Currently got a BYOC flanger- one of the bigger, more complex kits to build, but very versatile and will self-oscillate, which is fun for a minute or two.

Fun fact, learned from broke teenage experience: dying batteries make the 75B sound like a slapback delay.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Boss BF-2 if you want Jet Flanger, Mooer elec lady if you want chorus like flange.
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    I have a DOD FX75C which I am planning to sell.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    Boss HF-2 is my favourite flanger
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    joetele said:
    Boss HF-2 is my favourite flanger
    That's a really nice sounding flanger. Much lighter and airy sounding, it acts on the harmonic of the note I believe, would be good for bass.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    Thanks all. The sound I would want would be the jet aeroplane Mascis type.

I omitted to say that I would want one that takes a battery as I don't want to get involved with power supplies etc.

I will put a WTB in the FX section but TBH don't want to pay too much for something that will only really be a one trick pony for me. 

Thanks again. 
  • MXR Micro Flanger but I'm not sure it takes a battery. 
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
    edited October 2019
    WeZ84 said:
    The Donner Jet Convolution is a cheaper version of the Mooer Elec Lady / E-Lady. Internally they are the same PCB but about half the price. I picked one up for about £25 new. Sounds pretty good to me. 
    Get this sounds fantastic, had it for 2 years on my board. Got mine for £20
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:

That's a really nice sounding flanger. Much lighter and airy sounding, it acts on the harmonic of the note I believe, would be good for bass.
    I found it was the other way round - when I was playing guitar in a band where the bassist used effects too, we had both pedals - BF-2 on the bass and HF-2 on the guitar. That way the two effects - non-sync'ed, of course - sounded a bit like the bass and treble rotors on a Leslie cabinet. The other way round, they were too similar and sounded confused.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

WeZ84 said:
    Get this sounds fantastic, had it for 2 years on my boats. Got mine for £20
    Blimey, they are cheap!

At that price having to fork out for a power supply wouldn't be to onerous. 
    There's also the Behringer UF300 - which may be a BF-2 copy, although it has an extra mode switch - or the more complicated FL600.

• JezWynd said:
    The Mooer Elec Lady always gets recommended in these flanger threads. It is good but my preference is the Maxon FL9 or it's Ibanez badged version.
    The FL-9 sound can also be had much more cheaply second-hand in the Ibanez FLL and SF-10 Swell Flanger boxes. While they look different to the dash nine, electronically they're the same.
    I bought my FLL for around twenty quid and it sounds exactly the same as my old Ibby FL-9.

It doesn't do the jet flange sound as well as the BF-2, but gets most of the way there and is a pretty decent flanger.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • J mascis has been using a mooer elec lady on some of his boards.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I've got an old Boss flanger available if you're interested - a high band one I think...
    richh said:
    I've got an old Boss flanger available if you're interested - a high band one I think...
    Thanks but going for a cheap and cheerful Donner Jet Convolution so not much wasted when I invariably get bored with it.