Order of overdrive pedals

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
edited October 2019 in FX
Just wondering what the collective wisdom is for order of overdrive pedals? I recently replaced my Boss BD2 Blues Driver with a J Rockett Blue Note. The Blue Note is very transparent, adds a certain ‘fatness’ to the sound, but lacks the ‘grit’ of the BD2. So I’ve decided the BD2 is going back on the board. First time I will have had two overdrives on the board, so just wondering if is there a recommended order for stacking drive pedals? Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    Try them both ways round and whatever sounds best to you is the best way for you. Personally, I like higher gain OD's into lower gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189

It’s a matter of taste really but I’d go:   Fuzzes > Boosts > General purpose ODs/Dist > “Amp-in-a-box” type pedals  

Depends how they’re set as well i.e ‘Level up gain down’ into ‘level down gain up’ etc

• RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    The conventional thinking is high gain into low gain. This doesn’t mean that convention is right, but it’s a good starting place.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I think from what you’ve described, you want to keep the grittiness. If you have the Blue Note after the BD, the Blue Note may “remove” some of the grit that’s being fed into it. I’d go Blue Note first.

However, the BD-2 may then remove some of the fatness from the Blue Note. So, try them both ways and see which you prefer. Since you only have the two, it won’t be too much upheaval to switch them round if necessary 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I find it usually works best in descending order of midrange, rather than gain - eg Tube Screamer into Blues Driver, not the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
     Blue Note at least the v1 blue that I had was great into other pedals. Flat or mid-pushed screamer style etc all good. Not so much headroom for being pushed itself so I had it before another drive.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Thanks for the replies. I’m probably not going to get the chance to experiment properly  until early next week but will see how I get on then.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    edited October 2019
    I always feel the one closest to the amp in the chain will be the master voice that you then tweak with things running into it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Lebarque said:
    Try them both ways round and whatever sounds best to you is the best way for you. Personally, I like higher gain OD's into lower gain.
    I'm the other way round, prefer to stack the gains starting with lowest gain to highest (though normally Xotic EP Boost into one or two boutique pedals that aren't used in conjunction)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I'd always gone lowest to highest gain, but recently have had bb preamp into a way huge green rhino (ts) after seeing mike landau use the green rhino as a boost.

Like this alot with bb as core sound and both for boosted solos 
  • HAL9000 As I read your description of your drives, it seems you like different things in those drives, but you do plan to use them stacked as well.

My experience with stacking is that you always have to find out what characteristics you like and you don't want to loose when stacking pedals. E.g. some combine a tubescreamer (TS) with a big muff (BM), while the TS complements the BM really well adding some mids and cutting some bass.

In your case you like the grittiness of the Bluesdriver (BD) and transparency and fatness of the Blue Note (BN). 
    It could well be that the grittiness of the BD gets lost when used before the BN while stacking. Same goes for the transparency of the BN when used after the BD, as the BD not being totally transparent. In that case the first suggestion would be to place the BD after the BN. Keeps grittiness and keeps transparency as long as possible in the chain.
    But if the BN doesnt kill the grittiness of the BD, perhaps you could also place them vice versa and maybe the transparency of the BN helps maintaining the grittiness of the BD.

As usual, it is your ear that will be the decisive factor. But perhaps this gave you some points of view that could help you decide how to set up your chain.

• I'm in the same situation with a BD-2W and a Thorpyfx Peacekeeper. The Peacekeeper has a great, transparent low gain tone. The BD-2W is good but sounds far better with the Peacekeeper before it. The BD2-W with the level up and gain down as a sort of clean boost, sounds great before the Peacekeeper, but I prefer the Peacekeeper first. I'm wandering if the Peacekeeper would sound better stacked into one of it's siblings, Gunshot or Warthog.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Well, got the chance to experiment today...

Blues Driver into Blue Note - The Blue Note doesn’t smooth out the BD’s inherent ‘grit’. Just fattens things up a bit and gives you ‘more’.

Blue Note into Blues Driver - Gives a smoother cleaner sound than above (which is not what I expected). 

To to be honest I’ll probably stick with the first option but both are good.