Leather amp handles

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

What are people's experience of these?  I've always though my tweed deluxe one looked like it may not last forever, and now it's tearing so need to get a replacement.  Is it common that they don't last long or are there good quality replacements that would last indefinitely?

The handle on mine is the standard tweed deluxe leather handle with a single screw on each fixing, just looks like not a great design, although to be correct for the look that's what everybody puts on them.

The blackface handles seem to be much stronger and a better design, without everything rubbing every time you lift it up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5595
    edited October 2019

I used to own a Peavey Classic 50 212 which had a leather handle.

The handle broke as I was carrying it down the strairs.  My automatic reaction, and one which I quickly regretted, was to try to break it's fall with my right leg.

40-odd pounds of tube amp falling onto ones shin quickly turned the air blue.

I replaced it with a Fender-esq leather handle I sourced from Hotrox - I had to drill a couple of new holes in the amp shell but it worked well enough. 

I would have thought replacement handles for a tweed deluxe should be easy enough to get hold of.  I doubt any handle would last indefinately but they shouldn't need replacing often.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They look nice but they're shit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    This is the style of handle I recommend for any Tweed amp heavier than a Champ - https://modulusamplification.com/Leather-style-amp-handle-dark-brown-P558521.aspx

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    RiftAmps said:
    This is the style of handle I recommend for any Tweed amp heavier than a Champ - https://modulusamplification.com/Leather-style-amp-handle-dark-brown-P558521.aspx

Thanks.  Do these fit over the holes that will already be there?

ICBM said:
    Thanks.  Just what I though!
    edited October 2019
    RiftAmps said:
    Those are much better, and have a steel strap inside as well - Mesa used them on the Trem-o-verb, and they're strong enough to lift even one of those at 98lb - but still the stitching quite often comes undone. (Although can be repaired, if you have a good sewing needle and canvas-type thread.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Doesn’t have to be leather, as long as it doesn’t look daft.   Also needs to fit in or over existing mounting holes.

Doesn’t have to be leather, as long as it doesn’t look daft.   Also needs to fit in or over existing mounting holes.
    You’re being lazy menamestom, just measure the existing bloody handle, the modulus website gives dims.  Some poeple eh?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    ICBM said:
    Come on IC, not like you to beat about the bush! Say what you mean.

Yes, the stichting on the Artisan handles unravelled PDQ but I don't thnk any ever actually let go.

I DO recall a shop shipped an A30 to Northampton from oop north JUST because  a gone crappy handle. All you need to change one is a flat blade driver and all from the outside of the amp.

Dave.
  • I got Heistercamp to make me a new one recently...they were awesome as usual ;)
    I reckon a buffalo hide one would probably be OK - twenty years ago when we were in Canada I bought a buffalo belt from a Native American maker... I’ve worn it almost every single day since and it’s still in great condition.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    ICBM said:
    Not like you to beat around the bush  :)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader

The handles mentioned above are not a direct fit, the mounting holes on the heavier duty strap are wider apart, you could make it work, but you would have to do some drilling and buggering around

What handle was fitted to the amp in the first place, you get a thick leather handle and then you get the crappy leatherette handles

The handles mentioned above are not a direct fit, the mounting holes on the heavier duty strap are wider apart, you could make it work, but you would have to do some drilling and buggering around

What handle was fitted to the amp in the first place, you get a thick leather handle and then you get the crappy leatherette handles
    I think it is standard leather...,

https://imgur.com/a/G7Ty3kr
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I think it is standard leather...,

https://imgur.com/a/G7Ty3kr
    The fibrous structure of the abraded area suggests to me that this is made of what's called 'genuine leather', which is very poor quality. When leather is prepared for making things, it's often cut into thinner layers, such that you get the outer surface (the grain side) and a desired thickness. The layer that's cut away (the flesh side) is relatively fibrous and doesn't have the structural integrity of the grain side. Rather than waste this layer, it's used to make cheaper leather goods by compressing/embossing one side of it and treating it to make the compressed surface resemble the top grain. It looks okay, but still doesn't have the structural integrity of proper top grain leather - it's very prone to being damaged by stretching and has poor resistance to wear.

In the photo of the side view, between the  top and bottom abraded parts, it looks like there is something that might be a bit of better quality leather, presumably included for strength.

A couple of other things stand out from the photos...

Some sort of edging has been applied which has become cracked with use and flexing. On goods made from proper top grain leather, the edges are often beveled and burnished to give a smooth, rounded finish. It looks like this strap has had something added (gloop of some sort) to mimic the beveled and burnished finish, presumably because the cheapo leather it's made from isn't conducive to burnishing.

The stitching around the edge isn't recessed into a groove. On goods made from top grain leather, a shallow groove is cut along the stitching line and then the stitching holes are punched through. When the sewing is done, the thread lies flush with or just below the surface of the leather. The main reason for doing this is to protect the stitching from abrasion. The grooving process is done on vegetable tanned leather (known as tooling leather) before it's treated with dyes and finishes because it's conducive to being worked in this way - with the right tool, a clean and precise groove can be cut. Cheapo leather like this is unlikely to take a tidy groove.

As a matter of interest, how thick is it, and what size is the gap between the metal retainers and the surface of the amp?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    The best looking and strongest leather is cordovan.
    You'd have to get it custom made though.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    @Nomad is spot on , this is the highest quality after market handle I know of, it is thicker than the one you have there and should last much longer.

@Nomad is spot on , this is the highest quality after market handle I know of, it is thicker than the one you have there and should last much longer.

Thanks, have ordered that one!

@Nomad thanks for the info.  I'm not near the amp to take measurements, but hopefully the replacement from modulus should do the track - certainly looks a lot better. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Zoolooter said:
    Looks good but different fixings so would require more holes, hence why I've just gone with a better version of the standard deluxe one.  But noted for future use on new amps.....
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Zoolooter said:
    Looks good but different fixings so would require more holes, hence why I've just gone with a better version of the standard deluxe one.  But noted for future use on new amps.....
    He will make any design and size that you’re after.