Blowing valve amp fuses??

Bob_GnarlyBob_Gnarly Frets: 139
Is this an indicator of power amp valve issues?
My Blackstar Artisan 15H recently blew a mains fuse and then the replacement straight away.
Another replacement is holding a week later, so just dodgy new fuse, of symptomatic of other issues?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Unfortunately it’s like to be a valve issue - rectifier or power, not preamp. They can sometimes develop intermittent faults which do this and then appear to go away, but not usually permanently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    ICBM said:
    Unfortunately it’s like to be a valve issue - rectifier or power, not preamp. They can sometimes develop intermittent faults which do this and then appear to go away, but not usually permanently.
    Yes, almost certainly the EZ81  (best replacement IC? ) I HATE thermionic rectifiers!

Dave.
  • Cheers ICBM, any recommendations of what will work nicely with the Mullards you put in it?
    Cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    You can probably get an old Mullard for not that much, if it’s the EZ81 that’s the problem - they’re not one of the expensive valve types. If not, JJ are usually the most reliable of the new-production ones. Rectifier valves in general don’t make a noticeable difference to the sound as long as they’re the proper spec. (There are some, eg Sovtek GZ34s, which are not.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein