Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tasty but classic reverb recommendations please!

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
Having dropped a few pennies on the new Supro 

( see https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/165729/nad-supro-black-magick-combo-holy-moley-this-thing-is-beautiful#latest for details! )

...I'm after a faily simple but great sounding reverb pedal. 

I have all the complicated ambient and time based stuff covered in my HXFX but I'm not that keen on the standard reverbs. 

So what shoukd I be looking at for a standard footprint sized verb pedal that does a really good impression of a classic reverb tank, plate and spring?

Don't need lots of options, just a simple, great sounding stomp box. 

Given what I've paid for the amp, the price of the pedal isn't the biggest factor but obviously if I don't need to spend hundreds, I won't! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'd have a look at the Source Audio True Spring - doesn't have plate (which is why I sold mine) but covers all types of spring reverbs superbly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    I have a holy grail nano which has hall, spring and flerb and sounds great.  I'm probably going to sell it shortly  because I acquired a boss fender deluxe pedal which covers reverb, tremolo and drive for space - I'm a real classic reverb fan and the nano is as good as the boss frv1 I had.

Doesn't do plate so if that's essential won't tickle your fancy but great pedal.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I’ve got the Boss FRV-1 spring reverb which is fantastic but it’s spring only. I’d love to try the source audio true spring but again spring only. I can thoroughly recommend the Strymon Bluesky though I really like mine and can be had for less than two hundred sheets these days.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Boss RV-5 tbh famalam.

Bye!

• Wampler Reflection - bought mine from Thomann much cheaper than uk sellers so be quick to beat Brexit!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697

Flint.  I know the trem would be duplicated but the harmonic trem is great and could be used as a separate effect to the amp trem.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    MXR M300.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    Boss frv1 is the closest you will get to a spring reverb unit without having one in my experience, (have had both and a/b’d), it is 98% of the way there. 

The vanamps sole mate looks interesting and may be worth a look. Equally, there are a multitude of good useable pedals that will do the job from polara to flint. 

Bottom line: track down an frv1 if you are only interested in good spring reverb.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eventide
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

So what shoukd I be looking at for a standard footprint sized verb pedal that does a really good impression of a classic reverb tank, plate and spring?
    EHX:  neo; nano; Oceans 11
    Boss do the plate really well and for live work I much prefer Boss pedals but I have to say the Oceans 11 (which I've also got) is the better spring by a country mile. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    VanAmps Soul Mate.. Just THE best, but failing that the Boss FRV-1.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Hall of Fame?

• david57stratdavid57strat Frets: 21
    edited October 2019

I'm a huge reverb fan.  I kind of went over to digital reverb, back in 1987 or so, and gave up on spring reverb. The Ventris and the Space (and even the M300) will do a very decent spring, if needed - but I'll probably not be likely to use them that way, since I"m more into the ambient types of trails found in digital reverbs.

Reading back on your desired form factor, the M300 (far left, in this picture) would probably be your best bet. It's a very capable pedal.

I had the Hall of Fame 2 for a while, but that, the Afterneath v2, and the Polara, all got bumped off, when I picked up the Ventris and the Space. The HOF2 was the first one to be sold off.  Not a slam against that pedal.  I just found that the other two did what I wold have wanted from the HOF, but better, and with programming control I didn't have previously. I'll have to pick up a MIDI switcher to take full advantage of what those two can do.

The Eventide and Source Audio offerings have so much flexibility, with plenty of intuitive control at your fingertips, they pretty much cover most bases you can think of.

The M300 has a glorious Pad setting that puts you in space land, with the ability to blend higher and lower octaves (and the expression pedal compatibility is a nice touch, for a pedal in that size and price range), while the Fathom has super slick modulated reverbs, and can dial in some in between settings that are beautiful, in a very simple, but surprisingly flexible control layout. Those four are keepers.

The Afterneath was first one I purchased, of the bunch.  It gave me some incredible out-of-this-world tones, but conventional (traditional) ones (like plate, hall, etc). were not possible.  It just wasn't designed for that)  I found myself more pleased with what I could dial in, using the Space, or the Ventris, and still retain my trails. 

Unfortunately, the v2 doesn't have that option (true bypass, and that's it); so disengaging the pedal is like hitting a brick wall. I wonder, to this day, why such an expensive pedal would not offer up that option, while the HOF2 and the Polara did - and in stereo.

The Polara gave me all of the traditional sounds, but again, the Ventris and the Space did those better.  Kind of apples to oranges, though - not a very fair comparison, given their different price points and form factors.

If you have not tried out these units, in stereo (well..the ones that are capable of it), you're in for a treat. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    MXR M300.
    +1 on the M300.  A very nice, compact pedal, indeed, for the money.  Does everything you would typically expect from a reverb pedal (and then some), and does it very nicely.

Check out the Pad setting, with a volume pedal, for epic orchestral/spacey chordal or single note volume swells).  Hook up an expression pedal to it, for even more control. and go to town with it :-).

• In a slight change of direction, I've been looking at the Turnip Greens from EHX. 

The possibility of putting the HXFX in the loop of the TG so I can have the drive in front and reverb after is quite appealing. 

Anyone used on and done something similar? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6685
    The SA True Spring is by a margin the best spring reverb pedal out there. The trem on it is phenomenal too. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.

• I'm a huge reverb fan.  I kind of went over to digital reverb, back in 1987 or so, and gave up on spring reverb. The Ventris and the Space (and even the M300) will do a very decent spring, if needed - but I'll probably not be likely to use them that way, since I"m more into the ambient types of trails found in digital reverbs.

Reading back on your desired form factor, the M300 (far left, in this picture) would probably be your best bet. It's a very capable pedal.

I had the Hall of Fame 2 for a while, but that, the Afterneath v2, and the Polara, all got bumped off, when I picked up the Ventris and the Space. The HOF2 was the first one to be sold off.  Not a slam against that pedal.  I just found that the other two did what I wold have wanted from the HOF, but better, and with programming control I didn't have previously. I'll have to pick up a MIDI switcher to take full advantage of what those two can do.

The Eventide and Source Audio offerings have so much flexibility, with plenty of intuitive control at your fingertips, they pretty much cover most bases you can think of.

The M300 has a glorious Pad setting that puts you in space land, with the ability to blend higher and lower octaves (and the expression pedal compatibility is a nice touch, for a pedal in that size and price range), while the Fathom has super slick modulated reverbs, and can dial in some in between settings that are beautiful, in a very simple, but surprisingly flexible control layout. Those four are keepers.

The Afterneath was first one I purchased, of the bunch.  It gave me some incredible out-of-this-world tones, but conventional (traditional) ones (like plate, hall, etc). were not possible.  It just wasn't designed for that)  I found myself more pleased with what I could dial in, using the Space, or the Ventris, and still retain my trails. 

Unfortunately, the v2 doesn't have that option (true bypass, and that's it); so disengaging the pedal is like hitting a brick wall. I wonder, to this day, why such an expensive pedal would not offer up that option, while the HOF2 and the Polara did - and in stereo.

The Polara gave me all of the traditional sounds, but again, the Ventris and the Space did those better.  Kind of apples to oranges, though - not a very fair comparison, given their different price points and form factors.

If you have not tried out these units, in stereo (well..the ones that are capable of it), you're in for a treat. 

Very nice collection!

Bye!

• david57stratdavid57strat Frets: 21
    edited October 2019

Very nice collection!
    Thanks!  Much appreciated. 
  • I’ve a Hall of Fame you can try
  • What about the Neunaber Wet?