Looks like my wah search is over...

What's Hot
skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
edited October 2019 in FX
Last year, I decided that I needed a wah again, and after checking the price of the one I used to have (Morley Bad Horsie), laughing in shock and stepping away from the computer, I bought an Electro Harmonix Wailer Wah from my local music shop. Lovely sound, but I just couldn't get on with the mechanical feel of the treadle or clicking it forwards to turn on and off... a little bit of investigation and I discovered that the Wailer was a cheaper version of the Crying Tone, so I investigated that. Still need to rocj it forward to turn it on and off but there's no button, and since there are literally no moving parts, it felt much smoother than the Wailer.

I still wanted one without a switch though, so after some more investigation I bought a 95Q Switchless Crybaby from GAK. Didn't really like it; it sounded much thinner than the Crying Tone, so it went back.

More online research convinced me that what I needed was an Ibanez Weeping Demon. Again, silly money though... but my friend was selling one and let me have it for a bit less than all the others I could find online.

I finally got it home on Friday and I've spent the weekend playing with it and the Crying Tone... and the Crying Tone has got it beaten in every department apart from switchless operation! So it looks like I'll just need to get used to turning it on and off when I need it.

Anyone want to buy a Weeping Demon? lol
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Scrolled down to the moment you got a BMF wah. 

Oh.... Your search is not over. *

* HNWWD :)
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:

* HNWWD :)
    Just investigated BMF... see, again it's got the clicking forward to turn it on thing, and I don't like that...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Yeah but it sounds better than all the other wahs in the universe. So swings and roundabouts. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I have this same issue.  I only want a switch less wah but have the dunlop 95q and crave something with better tone. 
  • Can I ask a stupid question? How do you turn on a switchless wah?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    Can I ask a stupid question? How do you turn on a switchless wah?
    By moving the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited October 2019
    Can I ask a stupid question? How do you turn on a switchless wah?
    They have an optical switch so when you move it away from the toe down position it switches the wah on. Moving it back, turns it off.  Sometimes they are sprung so when you remove your foot, the treadle returns to the off position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited October 2019
    soma1975 said:

* HNWWD
    Soma, you're quickly turning into my gear guru...how does the BMF compare to the RMC? And does the BMF sound like a Cry Baby? I don't like bland or weak sounding wah's. I like a big of grunt and throatiness.

Sorry for hijacking!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    edited October 2019
    hahaha it just sounds sexy. It cuts but is never harsh on the top end. Fat and perfect for anything from Shaft to Cream to Jimi. Instantly cured my wah GAS. My RMC was the 2 which sounded lovely but which didn;t play wonderfully with fuzzes and had a limited travel on the treadle, and then my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe which was a great wah if not quite so inspiring as I'd hoped. 

Built in fuzz buffer too. 

That's the standard BMF wah which I believe is based on a Maestro Boomarang. I bought one after seeing Marc Ford use it live and talking to Scott at BMF. He drop in boards cloning a whole bunch of different wahs so it's easy to change it up if you want another flavour. 

Got mine from Joes Pedals here in the UK who I'd buy everything from if he stocked everything. 

Sorry for derailing the thread. 

• soma1975 said:
    hahaha it just sounds sexy. It cuts but is never harsh on the top end. Fat and perfect for anything from Shaft to Cream to Jimi. Instantly cured my wah GAS. My RMC was the 2 which sounded lovely but which didn;t play wonderfully with fuzzes and had a limited travel on the treadle, and then my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe which was a great wah if not quite so inspiring as I'd hoped. 

Built in fuzz buffer too. 

That's the standard BMF wah which I believe is based on a Maestro Boomarang. I bought one after seeing Marc Ford use it live and talking to Scott at BMF. He drop in boards cloning a whole bunch of different wahs so it's easy to change it up if you want another flavour. 

Got mine from Joes Pedals here in the UK who I'd buy everything from if he stocked everything. 

Sorry for derailing the thread. 
    Hmmm, interesting. I will do some more research, but that intrigues me. If it ticks the cream and Jimi vibes and is as throaty as I like, then I may have to get one!

I also need to stop talking to you, you cost me a lot of money! haha.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Where are you based? Always welcome to come try it out, not that I'm selling it!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited October 2019
    @soma1975 I'm based in South Wales, so probably miles away from civilisation! :-)

I just heard the demo's and wow, sounds sexy as 'ell! Lovely sounding wah. I'm sold. I also like the stock board too, kind of best of all worlds and as throaty as I like, gawjus. Although the Coloursound is "that" sound isn't it! Are you using the stock board too?

Does Joe just sell the stock version?

(Apologies OP)

• ...you do know there are loads of ways to tweak the Weeping Demon, right?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @soma1975 I'm based in Bridgend, so probably miles away from civilisation! :-)

I just heard the demo's and wow, sounds sexy as 'ell! Lovely sounding wah. I'm sold. I also like the stock board too, kind of best of all worlds and as throaty as I like, gawjus. Although the Coloursound is "that" sound isn't it! Are you using the stock board too?

(Apologies OP)
    Using the stock one based on Scott's recommendation after a decent chat.  the different models either come direct from BMF or buy the stock one from Joe and get the boards from BMF

• soma1975 said:
    @soma1975 I'm based in Bridgend, so probably miles away from civilisation! :-)

(Apologies OP)
    Using the stock one based on Scott's recommendation after a decent chat.  the different models either come direct from BMF or buy the stock one from Joe and get the boards from BMF
    It sounds superb and will probably just stick with that. Thanks for putting me onto it, man, much appreciated!

• ...you do know there are loads of ways to tweak the Weeping Demon, right?
    Yep, and no matter what I do it doesn't sound as good as the Crying Tone

• Can I ask a stupid question? How do you turn on a switchless wah?
    They have an optical switch so when you move it away from the toe down position it switches the wah on. Moving it back, turns it off.  Sometimes they are sprung so when you remove your foot, the treadle returns to the off position.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    just looked at some crying tone demo's, you can't velcro it to a board!
  • just looked at some crying tone demo's, you can't velcro it to a board!
    No, but you can get a cradle thing that velcros to the board, and then has straps to hold the pedal. I only have a wah and tuner so I don't need a board though :)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4160
    edited October 2019
    Update: last night I scored a Morley DJ Ashba Skeleton Wah on eBay, and it's bloody great! Really wide sweep, with a definite 'wah' - and switchless, so I think my search genuinely is over now... although anyone who knows me would laugh at that.

I'll record a little demo later and put up a NPD thread :)