Taking out Bigsby B70 spring question

How? Do you simply lift and pull the arm or is there anything specific you need to do. I’ve just got a lovely Gretsch Streamliner but the trem is stiff. I thought I’d do the recommended trick of stepping on the spring a few times before buying a Reverend “soft” spring...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    You've got to take the strings off really. Then it'll just drop out. Fwiw the reverend soft spring was too soft for me. Ended up with a longer spring from thomann, 1" or maybe more can't remember
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Thanks. Did you find that the original spring softens over time or is that unlikely? 
    Don't think they soften. I find bends easier with a stiffer spring but the stock ones can be a bit much for me
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I absolutely love the Reverend soft spring. Couldn't do without it on mine.

I can't see stepping on the string doing anything at all, springs are resilient!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    Stepping on it will do nothing - even with the coils closed up fully it won’t pass the point where the metal permanently distorts.

Personally I can’t stand soft springs in Bigsbys, but if that’s what you want then you’ll need to get one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Would a soft spring lead to adjacent strings being bent out of pitch as can happen on a Strat if you’re clumsy  like me? 
    scarry67 said:
    Would a soft spring lead to adjacent strings being bent out of pitch as can happen on a Strat if you’re clumsy  like me? 
    I did find that with the Reverend soft spring. Don't know how it compares to other trem systems but it wasn't a big deal. I hardly ever do those double stops with one string held and one bent in practice
    Mine’s quite noisy, metallic clicks and squeaks. Wouldn’t be amplified but sounds a bit “unsmooth” for want of a better word. I presume it’s spring moving but do other parts of the trem warrant lubrication or something?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    scarry67 said:
    Mine’s quite noisy, metallic clicks and squeaks. Wouldn’t be amplified but sounds a bit “unsmooth” for want of a better word. I presume it’s spring moving but do other parts of the trem warrant lubrication or something?
    Yes. It’s motorcycle engineering :). Lightly grease all moving parts...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein