Humming amp

suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 393
edited October 2019 in Amps
The sound in my lc30 has been fading in and out so at the weekend i thought i’de try swapping out each valve 1 by 1 to see if it made a difference.
Anyways, swapped out one of the el34’s and the main ht fuse blew (turns out the swapped valve was knackered).
Popped another one in and now theres a loud buzzing noise, which is there even with the volume turned down.
Would a full revalve make any difference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    IIRC there is an issue with VC30s where there is a connection to a normally unused pin on the output valve sockets. If you fit a TAD valve (as per stock) it's fine, other valves can cause problems.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    you should really swap both power valves at the same time to ensure they are matched, matching ensures you don't get hum from the output section. if it is a fixed bias amp you really should check the bias too.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    There's also a possibility that the shorted valve blew a component associated with it - probably the screen resistor - as well as the fuse. If so that valve socket now won't work and the amp will now hum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ahh right, so if i’m looking at all 8 valves, they should all glow as normal except the knackered one?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    Ahh right, so if i’m looking at all 8 valves, they should all glow as normal except the knackered one?
    Not necessarily - you often can't tell if a valve is conducting or not just from the filament glow, which could be normal. If you look carefully inside the plate structure you can often see blue glow, which is a good indicator if there's none - but it can be tricky to see. Try turning the standby on and off and see if you can see any blue glow come and go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ordered a full set of valves but Is the screen resistor the one that is actually on the valve socket?