Going up or down in string gauges? Now general string adventures

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Been playing 10-48 or 10-46 for a good few years after a dalliance with 11s prior to that. 

Reading recently about Jimi using a 9-38 set and BB and Billy Gibbons using ultra light strings has anyone here made the jump to something like that and what do you feel you have gained and lost by it? 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited October 2019
    I’ve been playing 10-46 for ages myself, and just re learning the solo to Baker Street I thought...’fek me I’m struggling’ I may have to try some 9’s
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Yup. I went down to 9-42 on strats.

Wouldn't go back again unless I was playing with lowered tuning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I was using EB skinny top-heavy bottoms on fender and Gibsons, they feel good on Gibsons, but I went up to Beefy slinky on fender, and I always tune to e flat, good exercise, but I find 11 as high E is a bit too macho these days, so I went back to skinny top-heavy bottom on everything, thats 10-52, beefy is 11-54. Cant really imagine going lighter than 10, and I cant remember the last time I broke one.
    I think going lighter would mean wider bends, and more breakage, but have never broken a 10, and most of my bending is on the G and B, which I think are 14-17.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    hmm i might have to experiment and report back. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Went down from 11s to 10s on a Strat scale length - although still 11s on Gibson/Rickenbacker scale - they were just too hard to play on the Strat after I broke my arm last year, which has taken some of my forearm strength away... you need that for bending more than you may think you do. I don't think I've noticed much of a change in tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'm surprised to hear that jimi used such light strings. With those big 'shovel likes' I thought he'd go for something heavier. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I think he actually used 10-38, and the reason for the apparently light low strings is that they were Fender Rock'n'Rolls, which are rolled-wound - ie the windings are compressed which reduces the gauge while retaining the larger mass of metal, so they're probably about the same tension as a normal set of 10-46.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Got 9s or 9.5s on most things Strat length and 10s on a couple of Gibson lengths. I feel I can be a bit more expressive with lighter ones. With heavier strings I find people (or maybe just me) have a faster, warbly vibrato as they fight the tension. Probably just how I hear it though and maybe that's the way they like it.

However, it also does depend on the music. If I was playing mainly rhythm I'd probably go up a gauge as it's easier to keep chords in tune and you can give them a good thrashing e.g. punk or rock rhythm. Depends on how much you bend, how heavy your pick is and how hard you hit them I guess.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    10 to 9 is a big jump, I’ve used 9.5s on teles and found those better but not too light.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited October 2019
    I'm using 8-38s on a Jazzmaster tuned down to Eb.
    The Eb is cos of the singer the move from 9s to 8s was because of a pesky elbow problem since December last year so I needed to reduce string tension.
    Didn't notice any change in my sound whatsoever.
    As it happens the elbow has improved since early September so I'll possibly move back to 9s because 8s don't feel like you're actually playing anything!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    I was up to 11s for a while, then back to 10s, and 9.5s. I had a dalliance with 9s for a while, as I have left hand problems.

Currently I have 10s (Fender scale) which are OK with the strings I have right now, which don't feel stiff like some brands. But, tbh, I'll be able to practice more, and play longer, if I put 9s back on. So I can see 9s in the immediate future.

I've never really noticed a gigantic difference in tone, with my guitar. More variation by brand, than by string gauge. So I have some Gabriel Tennorio 9s waiting to try.

I also play low tension strings on classical, but that's definitely a tone choice. Higher tension strings are actually easier to play on nylon.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited October 2019
    10 down to 9.5 Daddarios are worth a try on a 25.5 scale length. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    edited October 2019
    ICBM said:
    I think he actually used 10-38, and the reason for the apparently light low strings is that they were Fender Rock'n'Rolls, which are rolled-wound - ie the windings are compressed which reduces the gauge while retaining the larger mass of metal, so they're probably about the same tension as a normal set of 10-46.
    Although more often than not he tuned down a semitone or further which would make them feel pretty light. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Are those rock n rolls flats then?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Right next string change time I'm going to try 9-42 just to see what it's like after so long on heavier strings. Use Pyramid Nickel classics so will keep that constant. 

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Played 11's for years then dropped down to 10's about 4 years ago . . . Now due to growing pains ( old age ) Im seriously thinking about 9's . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Quite the opposite. I've gone back up to 10-52 from 9-46. 

I was breaking strings too often and felt like the string guage couldn't cope with my heavier picking style.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    I have a set of 8s on a Tele and actually kinda like it 

I await the flaming from the FB 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    I normally go 9s on Fenders and 10s on Gibsons, but I've recently gone up to 11s on the ES-330 and they make everything else feel a bit weedy. I generally tend to go up a gauge if I'm gigging and come down again when not playing so regularly, though it's more about feel than tone. 

That said, there's something about heavier strings on the hollow ES330. They just get it feeling more "alive", even in lower tunings - open G, open D and D standard are all particularly lovely.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When I tried going down to 9s after using 10s for years it felt like there wasn't enough resistance and that the strings were too easy to bend out of tune. A bit like playing a synth keyboard vs. a weighted piano for those who would get that comparison.

It could just be that I was used to the 10s but would get used to 9s just the same given time. I definitely don't keep 10s for tonal reasons, I want it to be as easy as possible to play.

I prefer the feel of 10s on a Les Paul but there doesn't seem to be a gauge that feels like that on a Strat - even 9.5s are much looser feeling.