It's finished, but.......

What's Hot

I have finally completed my Princeton kit build, bar from a couple of valves I need to buy.

However, I'm too damn scared to try turning the thing on!

I like being not dead, mostly.

Maybe I'll just use it as the "sure, you can jam with my band" reserve amp :D

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited October 2019
    Put some electrician gloves and goggles on, Stick a multimeter at the end of the jack and check that 1) nothing is smoking and 2) you don’t have 1kVolts waiting to get on your guitar  ?
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    If you can get it to Swindon once you have your valves, I can have a look over the wiring and then bring it up to power slowly on my Variac whilst monitoring the current draw.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Keefy said:
    If you can get it to Swindon once you have your valves, I can have a look over the wiring and then bring it up to power slowly on my Variac whilst monitoring the current draw.

I might take you up on that if you don't mind bud?  Swindon isn't very far away, probably about 45 minutes.  This kinda thing definately calls for a 'thanks' fret.

Haych said:
    Keefy said:

I might take you up on that if you don't mind bud?  Swindon isn't very far away, probably about 45 minutes.  This kinda thing definately calls for a 'thanks' fret.
    No probs, just PM me when you're ready.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited October 2019
    Just make yourself a light bulb limiter. Power it up with no valves to start with, if the bulb glows then goes dim you're OK.  if it continues to glow brightly you have a short somewhere. Then add pre amp valves and check again. Then add output valves and check voltages on all anodes are within spec. 

Make sure you have a load connected.  

If all is OK plug in and play. If you get terrible feedback reverse the connections on the OT primary. (is the Princeton push-pull with negative feedback, not sure?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    hywelg said:
    Just make yourself a light bulb limiter. Power it up with no valves to start with, if the bulb glows then goes dim you're OK.  if it continues to glow brightly you have a short somewhere. Then add pre amp valves and check again. Then add output valves and check voltages on all anodes are within spec. 

If all is OK plug in and play. If you get terrible feedback reverse the connections on the OT primary. (is the Princeton push-pull with negative feedback, not sure?)
    This kinda thing, maybe an in-line switch between the supply and bulb?

https://images.app.goo.gl/d7vYCiUofCubkLkZ7

Haych said:
    hywelg said:

This kinda thing, maybe an in-line switch between the supply and bulb?

https://images.app.goo.gl/d7vYCiUofCubkLkZ7
    That's one. Not hard to make, the hardest thing now is finding a suitably powerful (100W or more) incandescent light bulb - i.e. not halogen or LED!