Wiggly Trem Post Help - Between threaded post and bushing?

Evening - My ongoing project is built around an old Japanese Charvel body, which as trem posts like this:

I've noticed that they actually move up and down, just enough that they can move it you rest your hand on them - so basically there's play between the post and the thing it pops into.

What are my options to fix this? I was thinking PTFE tape (i.e. "plumber's tape"), but thought I'd ask before I bother buying some.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've used PTFE tape before. Worked well
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Sounds good to me.  I use it for similar reasons on overfloppy strat whammy bars and loose saxophone mouthpieces :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Are you certain it's the posts moving in the threaded inserts, or could it be the inserts moving in the body wood? That can happen too.

If it's the inserts moving, the answer is epoxy... just be careful not to let it force up inside the thread from the bottom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks all - it’s definitely the posts in the inserts, have taken off the trem and it’s a clear metal on metal thing. 

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy though!

PTFE it is :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The stock Jackson/Charvel JT-6 vibrato pivot posts and threaded inserts are of unique, incompatible sizes. 

PTFE tape will reduce waggle of the posts within the inserts.

If the inserts are moving, I would be inclined to remove them completely and replace with proper FR, Gotoh or Schaller hardware.

Check the neck pocket for a shim. The back pitch angle machined into most MIJ Charvel Model series guitars should mean that no shim is necessary.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The stock Jackson/Charvel JT-6 vibrato pivot posts and threaded inserts are of unique, incompatible sizes. 

PTFE tape will reduce waggle of the posts within the inserts.

If the inserts are moving, I would be inclined to remove them completely and replace with proper FR, Gotoh or Schaller hardware.

Check the neck pocket for a shim. The back pitch angle machined into most MIJ Charvel Model series guitars should mean that no shim is necessary.

They are indeed - thankfully I got some cheap on eBay, but people are selling them for silly money (as they're hard(ish) to find). I actually had a thread on it a while back.

No shim, it was just a bare body I bought and have added a Warmoth neck. It's all sounding good, just that there was just enough movement to be audible ... tiny tiny movement.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The stock Jackson/Charvel JT-6 vibrato 
    there was just enough movement to be audible ... tiny tiny movement.
    The bulk of the JT-6 is pot metal casting. It wears although, no worse than a Floyd Rose Special.

people are selling them for silly money (as they're hard(ish) to find). I actually had a thread on it a while back.
    Well, it must be thirty years since they ceased making them. (Same goes for the Ibanez Pro Rock'r.)
    SquireJapan said:
    I actually had a thread on it a while back.
    I missed that. Otherwise, I might have attempted to sell you some JT-6 parts from my stash. ;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    edited October 2019
    That JT-6 trem seemed functional, but they feel very cheap ...

this was just a body I bought, and have put a non-fine tuner Floyd on it. So it’s a poor mans Guthrie Charvel :)