I need a lighter amp!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
My HRD is just too bloody heavy for my ageing frame and it's a pain in the arse, back and shoulders to lug in and out of the car.

I'll probably keep it for gigs when there's extra hands to help but for practice etc I need something much lighter that's also quieter and more controllable (i.e. doesn't go from silent to ouch between 0 and 0.1 on the dial!).

I don't need any dirt channel or built-in effects as all mine are offboard and I need to try to keep the end tone as close to the HRD as possible.

So, what's light, has good full rounded cleans and isn't full of effects and gimmicks?

Thanks in advance!
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Lunchbox head and Neo speaker in a 1x12" cab
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Princeton style 1x10 amp.
    The Fender reissue is very good, or there are boutique versions- I have a Louis Electric Roadrunner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    Like the recent thread I'd say out of the amps I've had the laney vc15 is a great little beast. If you needed to move more air run it through a 2x12 but big sound for such a light small footprint amp. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Pre order one, weighs 23lbs. That’s nearly half the weight of your HRD. Not a cheap option. 

Roland Blues Cube Hot, about 27lbs and fairly simple. Small, lighter than the HRD. £300 for a used one on Reverb. The power control knob means you shouldn’t suffer from volume twitch and tweed inspired tones like the HRD. 
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/roland-blues-cube-hot-635775
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    bazxkr said:
    Like the recent thread I'd say out of the amps I've had the laney vc15 is a great little beast. If you needed to move more air run it through a 2x12 but big sound for such a light small footprint amp. 
    I used to have one.  Nice little amp but I wasn't thrilled with the build quality and I think I need something solid state.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    I must say Emp, I dragged my new Matchless (and its only a 1x12) up 2 flights of stairs the other night ... and thought the same.

”Im getting too bloody old for this !”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you like the HRD couldnt you do a head conversion?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Bassbreaker 15? Very easy to shape your base tone, a lot lighter and smaller than the HRD and the volume is quite useable! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Recently bought myself a Blues Cube Stage which I'm really pleased with. Fendery tones,  plenty loud enough, and only  weighs about 15Kg.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Small head  into a cabinet with a neodymium speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Quilter 101 mini head and a Bluguitar Nanocab/ DV Mark Neoclassic/ Matrix Neolight. 
    Quilter do a reverb version of the head with traditional TMB controls but you lose the voicing control. The 101 mini head and a reverb pedal gives you more options.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited October 2019
    Which HRD do you have? My HRD IV is a bit lighter than my previous HRD III and sounds better.

My other amp is a Blues Cube Artist 1x12 which is quite a bit lighter. The clean sound is pretty good although I prefer my HRD IV clean. However, the drive channel on the Blues Cube is better.

It's not a competition.
    Not sure of the series numbering but it’s an early one with the eminence speaker.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited October 2019
    I have the Quilter Micropro HD.  About 21 lbs, great Fenderish cleans, takes pedals beautifully.  One of my favourite gear purchases ever.

It does have a range of dirt options on it as well as tremelo and reverb, but I use it as a clean pedal platform with a touch of reverb.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Waaaaaay over budget for what I’m after!  I only want something for band practice.  Boutique stuff isn’t really needed.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Any of the lunchbox/ss heads, the quilter or even chop the HRD into a head, any of those with a neodymium speaker in a separate cab

A first step might even be just to get a neodymium speaker for the HRD
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited October 2019
    Peavey Transtube Bandit, Studio Pro or Envoy in descending order of what you can lift . The Studio Pro is probably the best for what you want, it’s lighter than the Bandit but only marginally less powerful.

They do actually have a very decent overdrive channel, but you don’t have to use it - the clean channel is great, very Fender-like.

I have one of the ‘red stripe’ Studio Pro 112s for exactly these reasons . It weighs 28lb (13Kg) and they typically sell for under £100.

Just remember to always set the ‘T-Dynamics’ control up full...

Like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-Studio-Pro-112-Red-Stripe-Guitar-Amplifier/153685362260

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Wonder how many dozen pages this will run to?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom