I need a lighter amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• Sassafras said:
    Wonder how many dozen pages this will run to?
    Probably about a dozen dozen pages.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Put a Jensen Tornado 100 in there. I don't find the deluxe that heavy compared to devilles and i am a feebling scrublet. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Sassafras said:
    It's a forum,does it matter ? =)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26452
    edited October 2019
    Stop using a combo - they might save space in the car, but they're the least-portable way to do guitar amplification.

Get a 1x12" and a 20W head, grab one with each hand and you'll be carrying ~20kg but balanced - thus reducing the strain on your back.

Alternatively, do what I do - soft case for the guitar, Helix and Powerstage 170 in a rucksack, lightweight cab in one hand (there's a Matrix NL212 in the classifieds - around 13kg). My whole rig, guitar included, is about 26kg and can comfortably be carried from the car in one trip with a hand free. It's not the cheapest way to do things, but it sounds great and really saves the back.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Stop using a combo - they might save space in the car, but they're the least-portable way to do guitar amplification.

Get a 1x12" and a 20W head, grab one with each hand and you'll be carrying ~20kg but balanced - thus reducing the strain on your back.
    Unless you have a pedalboard as well. Then a combo about the same weight as the board - assuming the guitar is in a gig bag on your back - becomes the easiest to carry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I feel sort of lucky, in that I barely notice the weight of my HRD given that I also have to load in the PA and Drums. 
    It's just another black box. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    It's just occurred to me that I don't actually need another amp. I can just plug directly into our xr18 and stick a amp simulator in the the path.  We all use in ears, so for band practice it is ideal.  Well, it's worth a try anyway.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Emp_Fab said:

So, what's light, has good full rounded cleans and isn't full of effects and gimmicks?

Quilter.
  • ICBM said:

Unless you have a pedalboard as well. Then a combo about the same weight as the board - assuming the guitar is in a gig bag on your back - becomes the easiest to carry.
    Except you're carrying twice as much with either hand. I've never heard of anyone recommending doubling the weight you're carrying as a solution to back/shoulder problems.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Probably about a dozen dozen pages.
    That's a Gross Estimate  :#
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    digitalscream said:

Except you're carrying twice as much with either hand. I've never heard of anyone recommending doubling the weight you're carrying as a solution to back/shoulder problems.
    A moderate weight combo like my Peavey is no problem at all in one hand with a similar weight pedalboard in the other. Unless you're talking really silly weights it's much safer for your back to carry twice as much weight if it's balanced.

It's true that while I could actually lift both my Mesa Trem-o-verbs at the same time more easily than just one (by its top handle), I wouldn't really want to do it... but then we are talking really silly weights :). (45Kg each.)

Heads and cabs are just such a faff unless the head is really very light, and preferably small enough to go in a shoulder bag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

A moderate weight combo like my Peavey is no problem at all in one hand with a similar weight pedalboard in the other. Unless you're talking really silly weights it's much safer for your back to carry twice as much weight if it's balanced.

It's true that while I could actually lift both my Mesa Trem-o-verbs at the same time more easily than just one (by its top handle), I wouldn't really want to do it... but then we are talking really silly weights :). (45Kg each.)

Heads and cabs are just such a faff unless the head is really very light, and preferably small enough to go in a shoulder bag.
    Speaking as somebody with severe back problems and nerve damage in my shoulder...I disagree heavily with pretty much all of that, I'm afraid. That's precisely the reason I've spent so much money on lightweight gear...I certainly wasn't doing it for the giggles ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Blackstar Artist 15, Ch1 is super clean with loads of headroom. Makes a great pedal platform and sounds imho superb.... And I paid £250 for mine on Facebay and if you want to splash out there’s the Artisan.
    digitalscream said:

Speaking as somebody with severe back problems and nerve damage in my shoulder...I disagree heavily with pretty much all of that, I'm afraid. That's precisely the reason I've spent so much money on lightweight gear...I certainly wasn't doing it for the giggles ;)
    I have back problems too and I can definitely say that the worst thing for me is to carry something heavy in one hand only. I'd far rather balance it out and avoid having all the weight on one side.

I've also gone for light gear, but I still prefer a combo if I'm going to be carrying a pedalboard as well - I've sold the Trem-o-verbs, and the Peavey at 13Kg is a good replacement. My bass amp is the same weight.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Some of you must have serious pedalboards if they're balancing out a conventional guitar combo!
    p90fool said:
    Some of you must have serious pedalboards if they're balancing out a conventional guitar combo!
    They get heavy quickly, especially when they’re built into a flight case. My last full-size one with 14 pedals and a power supply weighed 45lb, and I know of many bigger ones.

That’s also one of the reasons I use a multi-FX now...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    I recently purchased a Rivera Pubster 25 x10 Combo - lighter than my HRD and to be honest sounds better - going to be using it for a gig this weekend and see how i get on. If it does as well in a gig environment i'll be ditching the HRD
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's just occurred to me that I don't actually need another amp. I can just plug directly into our xr18 and stick a amp simulator in the the path.  We all use in ears, so for band practice it is ideal.  Well, it's worth a try anyway.
    In that case, Ammoon American Sound pedal. About £25 new, and fits in your coat pocket.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I’ve just got one of those DV micro heads. Very light and small :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom