Tab websites...

What's Hot
Does anyone pay for the Ultimate Guitar Pro package? I've been using Songsterr but have just cancelled my monthly payments and was wondering what the paid side of Ultimate Guitar is like or if there are any better sites available?

The play along functions are handy but the thing i want it for most is printing tab and Songsterr prints the whole damn song, every note and every bar. Something simple like Everlong was (ironically) about 13 pages!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    Can you just copy and paste what you need (then print that)?

I find a lot of tabs online are wrong so don't subscribe to any sites.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    Yep. I use Ultimate guitar pro - either to copy out chords/lyrics or download Guitarpro files - the guitarpro files are the best as guitar pro allows you to edit/chop out bits and arrange as required.  I also copy out chords and words to a word file - but they aren't always accurate, but useful to get 80% correct stuff quickly, then spend time working out the final 20% using the MP3 file and transcribe! software.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I subscribe to ultimate, I usually  save a song as a pdf file so I can choose how many and which pages I want to actually print out.  If you have GuiterPro you can export pdf files from it too.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @mrkb @DulcetJones thanks guys.

They're doing a special 12 month for £25 offer at the moment so I've just done that, all looks pretty good so far.
  • Little addition..

Just spotted that you can access the favorited tabs offline on UG, can't do that on Songsterr.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    as an adjunct to the tab question, does anyone have any experience of Song Surgeon (which claims to detect key, chords, etc)?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just a thought but I use on song on my iPad and can export the complete song straight into it then if I want to work on a section I can just zoom into the bit I want
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    edited November 2019
    I use songsterr and just screenshot it if I want to print it. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited December 2019
    yeah I have a UG lifetime sub, I think it was £37. Just made a no brainer when I saw the offer.

do you really need to print? anything I need to keep goes into Evernote so I can get it from any device. I take my iPad to band practices.

I did start out printing and just ended up with reams of paper I never used, and when I did want something I couldn't find it.

And I can get into UG from anywhere if I need too.
  • pmbomb said:
    yeah I have a UG lifetime sub, I think it was £37. Just made a no brainer when I saw the offer.

do you really need to print? anything I need to keep goes into Evernote so I can get it from any device. I take my iPad to band practices.

I did start out printing and just ended up with reams of paper I never used, and when I did want something I couldn't find it.

And I can get into UG from anywhere if I need too.
    £37 for life? Thats a hell of a deal!

Ive reverted back to songsterr, but still paying for UG! :s
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I’m sure that @octatonic will be along to say transcribe it yourself. So before he does I’ll say it. Working a song out for yourself will help you learn it. It also provides the opportunity to condense the TAB to just the information that you need to see.

There are a number of bits of software which you can use to write it up. I use a word processor for chords and lyrics, and MuseScore for score and TAB. You can copy/paste TAB images into the word processor, and if necessary export a pdf. Using this I can get the important bits of most songs onto a single side of A4.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Roland said:
    I’m sure that @octatonic will be along to say transcribe it yourself. So before he does I’ll say it. Working a song out for yourself will help you learn it. It also provides the opportunity to condense the TAB to just the information that you need to see.
    Am I that predictable?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    octatonic said:

Am I that predictable?
    We’re all predictable sometimes, but in this case you’re absolutely right. 

Given that over 90% of the internet TABs I’ve looked at contain errors, and in some cases are absolutely wrong, learning to do it yourself is not only an invaluable skill. It also gets you the right answer. It helps you learn the song. It produces a transcription which you can actually use because it’s only a page or so long, but has all the important bits.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:

Am I that predictable?

Given that over 90% of the internet TABs I’ve looked at contain errors, and in some cases are absolutely wrong, learning to do it yourself is not only an invaluable skill. It also gets you the right answer. It helps you learn the song. It produces a transcription which you can actually use because it’s only a page or so long, but has all the important bits.
    you're right about the errors (it rarely matters from my POV, they get you damn close) but very many of us simply don't have the time or ability to learn by ear.
  • pmbomb said:
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:

Am I that predictable?

you're right about the errors (it rarely matters from my POV, they get you damn close) but very many of us simply don't have the time or ability to learn by ear.
    The more you do the better you get
  • And once you're good enough you can submit a tab to UG and, once published on their site, you get access to the pro features as a contributer. At least that's what I did a few years back.

Power Tab is still my favourite editor. Tux Guitar for looking at Guitar Pro files.