Xmas songs for covers bands

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
What do you guys add to your set for the festive season?

We've only ever added in the Slade one, but we're doing an Xmas eve party gig this year so I reckon we could do with a couple more.

We're a rock covers band, single guitar (me), bass drums and vocalist.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Run Rudolph Run?

I can't remember if it's a straight 12 bar or not but it's a three chord bash type thing, lots of versions although maybe not the best known Xmas song. 

A Merry Jingle by The Greedies.

Which was a mash up of Xmas songs by a mash up of two bands ( Thin Lizzy and the Sex Pistols). Haven't heard it for a while but it'll be a guitar based version. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Run Rudolph Run?

I've just been listening to a version of that with Lemmy singing and Billy Gibbons....that's in for sure.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Run Rudolph Run?

I've just been listening to a version of that with Lemmy singing and Billy Gibbons....that's in for sure.
    Found that, that'll work! 

I was trying to think what the Springsteen one was I think it's Santa Claus is Coming to Town?  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2019

I was trying to think what the Springsteen one was I think it's Santa Claus is Coming to Town?  
    I'm very familiar with that one (I'm a big Bruce fan)...might need a bigger band though, but maybe I can strip it down to a suitable arrangement.
  • We did the Springsteen version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" which was particularly popular with a pissed-up Xmas Eve crown, especially when our drummer dressed as an elf. Last year (different band, female singer) we did the Miley Cyrus version of "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" which went down a bloody storm.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I like doing a version of Do They Know It's Christmas, where I do all the different voices as per the 80s original.  Unfortunately my band won't let me do it in public though.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Iirc with my old lot we did Slade, Wizzard and Fairytale of NY. 

The latter was a bit of a pain to learn tbh - vocal harmonies and counterpoints throughout, but went down as well as Brightside, SOF, etc etc. And brilliant fun to play if you have vocal harmonies 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Rocking Around the Christmas tree - Cheesy but simple to learn.
    I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday, Wizard - Ditto above
    I saw Mommy kissing Santa clause - You have to do a lot of nodding and winking to overcome the cheese.

Astonishingly you can get away with the Cheese just because it's christmas and despite fat tattoed bikers denying it, they still have a fond memory of childhood at this time of year. Don't over do it is the key. 2-3 numbers and scatter them through the set.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    As little as possible. We have one or two in the back pocket, but generally find that audiences are over-Christmassed, and would rather listen to something else.

The back pocket contains:
    Last Christmas
    Merry Christmas Everyone
    Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
    I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
    Here It Is, Merry Christmas
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Jingle Bell Rock. There are websites that show how to play the intro etc. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Trude said:
    I like doing a version of Do They Know It's Christmas, where I do all the different voices as per the 80s original.  Unfortunately my band won't let me do it in public though.
    If it's any consolation, I would pay to see that. :)

We do Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, but only at the occasional summer festival as an encore, purely because it amuses me watching the penny drop and the audience singing along in the sunshine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dont let bells end
  • We do Santa Claus is coming to town.  We’re thinking of adding Last Christmas this year. 

No doubt I’ll be digging the reindeer outfit out again too...

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome. That’s got me googling reindeer onesies. 

Our singer dressed as an elf last time we did the Xmas eve gig at this place and the rest of us just wore Santa hats, but that’s a great look. 
  • Awesome. That’s got me googling reindeer onesies. 

Our singer dressed as an elf last time we did the Xmas eve gig at this place and the rest of us just wore Santa hats, but that’s a great look. 
    Be aware that it was bloody hot! I was wearing shorts underneath.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    A Jethro Tull or Barenaked Ladies version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    The Darkness have a Christmas tune too don't they?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Unexpectedly crowd-pleasing tunes I do live, as well as the really obvious ones, include I Believe In Father Christmas by Greg Lake, Last Christmas as a mash up with Mercy Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye, and In The Bleak Midwinter rock-ballad style with Comfortably-Numb-inspired guitar solo.  

Jingle Bells a la Brian Setzer is also popular with the punters
  • Last year we did Slade, Shakin Stevens and Rockin Around Xmas Tree. Adding Wham and Maria Carey this year.

Was at at least one party night were the band's didn't do any seasonal tunes. They seem d to go down well, but I thought it was just like a dinner dance.