Pickup question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Having just wired them up a la @p90fool I've noticed an even bigger problem. The E to E string spacing is 63mm! They're going back, although they'd be better off in the bin with string spacing that extreme.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    Having just wired them up a la @p90fool I've noticed an even bigger problem. The E to E string spacing is 63mm! They're going back, although they'd be better off in the bin with string spacing that extreme.
    That sounds bonkers ... that's 7 string fan fret spacing!!!!!
    Sounds like your 'independent' guy doesn't know what he's doing if this is the case.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Is it from an old Fender baritone design or something?
  • God knows where he got his plans from. I'm waiting for his reply now, which will probably say that the string spacing doesn't matter.

Oh well, it was an experiment worth trying, and thanks to ebay's cast iron buyer protection I'll get my money back.
    tFB Trader
    God knows where he got his plans from. I'm waiting for his reply now, which will probably say that the string spacing doesn't matter.

Oh well, it was an experiment worth trying, and thanks to ebay's cast iron buyer protection I'll get my money back.
    Ebay is awash with 'custom pickup makers' ... I know of two 'brands' on e bay that purport to be custom hand wound etc etc that are re branded Chinese pickups available on Ali Express for below tenner each.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair to him, it looks like it was lovingly made by hand. Bearing in mind that it's an attempt at making an XII replacement, I can only assume that he's made it himself as there seem to be no Chinese knockoffs anywhere.
  • MojopickupsMojopickups Frets: 313
    tFB Trader
    Having just wired them up a la @p90fool I've noticed an even bigger problem. The E to E string spacing is 63mm! They're going back, although they'd be better off in the bin with string spacing that extreme.

That is almost correct for a vintage correct XII pickup, so it's not really fair to shoot the guy down over the spacing.
    The ones I make are copied from my 66 XII and the spacing between each magnet is 12.8mm.........which I get to 64mm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader

That is almost correct for a vintage correct XII pickup, so it's not really fair to shoot the guy down over the spacing.
    The ones I make are copied from my 66 XII and the spacing between each magnet is 12.8mm.........which I get to 64mm.
    Interesting, wider than P bass then which is roughly 10.6 in modern money (string spacing rather than pole spacing)

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    edited October 2019

What's the string spacing of an original XII at the neck then? I believe the heel is only about 60mm in width, so that would put the pole pieces quite out of line I would imagine.

Calling @dogload ,who I believe is an XII fan...
    tFB Trader
    The pole magnets are spaced the same front and back.
    Obviously they could reproduced at a custom width.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Calling dogload, who I believe is an XII fan.
    @HarrySeven certainly used to own an original Fender Electric XII. It is anybody's guess whether this guitar is easily accessible at present. (THINKS: What is the guitar equivalent of the Dewey Decimal classification system?)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18684
    ^  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Calling dogload, who I believe is an XII fan.
    @HarrySeven certainly used to own an original Fender Electric XII. It is anybody's guess whether this guitar is easily accessible at present. (THINKS: What is the guitar equivalent of the Dewey Decimal classification system?)
    I still have it...errrr...somewhere...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

tFB Trader

Interesting, wider than P bass then which is roughly 10.6 in modern money (string spacing rather than pole spacing)
    Sorry I misread that.
    I get 50mm neck and 55mm bridge.

• Thanks very much for doing that @Mojopickups ;-)

It suggests that even on an original XII the pole pieces would be way out of line if the covers were taken off. What a strange decision by Fender, bearing in mind that this guitar was designed from the ground up.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks very much for doing that @Mojopickups ;-)

It suggests that even on an original XII the pole pieces would be way out of line if the covers were taken off. What a strange decision by Fender, bearing in mind that this guitar was designed from the ground up.
    No problem.
    It is a strange that they didn't use a narrower spacing, even the pickup design is slightly strange, as they aren't hum-cancelling in any position.
  • Thanks very much for doing that @Mojopickups ;-)

No problem.
    It is a strange that they didn't use a narrower spacing, even the pickup design is slightly strange, as they aren't hum-cancelling in any position.
    I've asked him to wire this RW so that it fixes that problem. I'll wire it in and see if it works as it should before thinking about returning it as it does seem he has followed the XII template.
  • @Mojopickups In terms of wiring a pickup like this to hum cancel, is it just a case of reversing the magnets in each half, or does the wire have to be reversed in each half too?
    tFB Trader
    @victorludorum if it has been made like the old pickups, one half will need to be recharged and the hookup wire will need swapping over.