New Orleans. Who’s been?

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited October 2019 in Off Topic
Thinking of going next summer. Any tips, must-sees, things to avoid, where to stay, etc?

Will probably also spend a few days in Memphis to see Gracelands, plus the Sun and/or Stax studio tour. Is it worth visiting both studios or are they much the same?

Mrs9000 isn’t so much into the music so any non-music suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Never been but the mere mention of the name always makes me think of the Jazz Funeral opening James Bond scene
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Don't go to the Rising Sun, it's been the ruin of many a poor boy. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville.

All are amazing and you'll have the best time wharever you do! 

My Mrs isn't very music-y but she enjoyed Graceland. Bass pro pyramid in Memphis is excellent. 

Alligator/bayou tours are cool in NOLA. Frenchman Street for all the cool music (jazz, blues funk soul) . Bourbon Street is full of youths, binge drinkers and shit music.

There is a jazz festival for every day of the year in NOLA. Find one and go. I went to one in Armstrong Park and it was phenomenal. Suggested $1 dollar entry fee! 

• Frenchman Street for all the cool music (jazz, blues funk soul) . Bourbon Street is full of youths, binge drinkers and shit music.

I came to say exactly this! Only in Frenchmen Street did I find good gigs taking place. Everywhere else seems awash with dead-eyed jobbing musicians going through the smooth jazz motions. :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    @Panama_Jack666 I'm really undecided about Nashville. Not heavily into country (or western :-) ) and have heard that you suffer country music overload very quickly. 
  • HAL9000 said:
    @Panama_Jack666 I'm really undecided about Nashville. Not heavily into country (or western :-) ) and have heard that you suffer country music overload very quickly. 
    I loved Nashville. Its tailored towards Country and Americana but you can find anything there. You just don't know who you'll bump into too! 

I preferred Nashville to Memphis by a long way. Guitar shops were amazing and music was a much better quality. Music stuff aside, there are some nice parks and good places to eat too! Nashville is cleaner and just generally nicer atmosphere. 

Some insane playing for free on Broadway Nashville too. But if it's not your thing then fair enough! Memphis has plenty of interesting stuff! If you have any specific questions or anything then give me a shout! 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Do NOT, however tempted, wander off down sides streets away from Beal Street in search of "more authenticity" unless getting robbed is your idea of authentic. Stay safe. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, keep away from the new Hard Rock Cafe Hotel for the moment...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    ^ Why?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I went in 2014 for 10 days and had a fantastic time. Stayed in the Ritz Carlton which was wonderful & still the nicest hotel I’ve ever stayed in. https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/new-orleans/hotel-overview
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    New Orleans was super humid, definitely had a cool vibe, though I preferred Nashville, it felt safer and some awesome guitar stores!