Paul Gascoigne AQUITTED

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16089
I don't follow Soccer and know precious little about it but nobody could be unaware of the sad state of this one-time hero.
He was just acquitted by jury of an alleged sex assault of a "fat, ugly"lady .
There was some evidence issues over his sobriety when said to be slurring his words and he had to remove his bridge and false teeth in court to "prove" that the slurring was due to his dental impediment.
Personally I doubt there was any malice of forethought or intended sexual act against the"fat, ugly" lady and that he was genuinely trying to be kind in a clumsy, unsophisticated (probably mildly drunk ) way .
The court has decided he was not guilty so I am not debating that issue.
 Simply ,what a sad and sorry character ,dentures and all .Shame.George Best without the charm or good looks .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not a football fan at all but I remember being in a TV shop and seeing THAT goal (against Scotland, I believe) and thinking "wow". You're right, it's very sad how far he's fallen
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited October 2019

the whole case is a bit sad

you have Paul Gasoigne in a poor state

and we have a culture of victimhood where every social minor transgressions  is an assault

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    He has been cleared of sexual assault, still facing common assault charge I believe.  His barrister argued he had no sexual motive in kissing the woman on the lips.
    munckee said:
    He has been cleared of sexual assault, still facing common assault charge I believe.  His barrister argued he had no sexual motive in kissing the woman on the lips.

why is this even in court
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    Feel for Paul, and had 5 days with him and the England team at Bisham Abbey some years ago (I was coaching)...

What a player though ! One of the greats on the pitch... and my heart goes out to him now.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_b said:
    munckee said:

20 years ago, he'd have been given a hefty punch in the balls at the time of the incident, and that would have been that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Might have been a different story if Fergie had got hold of him
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    edited October 2019
    If he hadn't been well known and had drunkenly kissed my mum on a train against her will I might feel differently I suppose.

But then my mum would have pulled out his spinal chord predator style.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    I hope he gave all the jurors a slobbery, boozy, unwanted snog as a reward. 

That might have changed their minds. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I hope he gave all the jurors a slobbery, boozy, unwanted snog as a reward. 

That might have changed their minds. 
    Snog on the Tyne  :#
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    He played for Tottenham, so fuck him.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What ever happened to Jimmy Five Bellys by the way.? 
  • He had a great laugh for a few years, as did these other 2 tossers.... Chris Evans and Danny Baker
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    Feel for Paul, and had 5 days with him and the England team at Bisham Abbey some years ago (I was coaching)...

What a player though ! One of the greats on the pitch... and my heart goes out to him now.
    Might have been a different story if Fergie had got hold of him
    Agree with you both

Easy to adopt a sentimental approach towards such a person and maybe as a result of this he gets the benefit of the kind at times from a lot of the public - But let's take it down to a simple level - The ability to be a great footballer does not mean you have the ability to handle life + fame and everything that goes with it - I think he has an immense passion for the game - I think his heart is in the right place - But if it wasn't for football he'd probably have been a factory worker or a shelf stacker - I don't mean that in  a nasty way or belittling way - But his ability as a footballer was immense and this fame and fortune, coupled with his love for life, a bit of fun and booze took him down a route where we are today - Some maybe took advantage of him, or encouraged him to much for  a good time like Chris Evans and Danny baker, but in a way so what, he was just having a beer like we all do 

I think it is a pity that he is still not involved in football in a way that would encourage the youth of today - But the same could be said of many ex players - The ability to be a great player doesn't make you a great manager - Bobby Moore and Charlton will tell you that

I think it is sad - I dare say he needs some form of a 'baby sitter' like a good wife/girl friend, but again that could apply to so many others

I would have hoped that the likes of Fergie could have handled him differently and got more out of him for club and country - I'm not sure England have had such player in that role since and what we saw was great, yet still feel it was not for long enough

He wasn't the first and he won't be the last to go down such a route
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527

Might have been a different story if Fergie had got hold of him
    Agree with you both

Easy to adopt a sentimental approach towards such a person and maybe as a result of this he gets the benefit of the kind at times from a lot of the public - But let's take it down to a simple level - The ability to be a great footballer does not mean you have the ability to handle life + fame and everything that goes with it - I think he has an immense passion for the game - I think his heart is in the right place - But if it wasn't for football he'd probably have been a factory worker or a shelf stacker - I don't mean that in  a nasty way or belittling way - But his ability as a footballer was immense and this fame and fortune, coupled with his love for life, a bit of fun and booze took him down a route where we are today - Some maybe took advantage of him, or encouraged him to much for  a good time like Chris Evans and Danny baker, but in a way so what, he was just having a beer like we all do 

I think it is a pity that he is still not involved in football in a way that would encourage the youth of today - But the same could be said of many ex players - The ability to be a great player doesn't make you a great manager - Bobby Moore and Charlton will tell you that

I think it is sad - I dare say he needs some form of a 'baby sitter' like a good wife/girl friend, but again that could apply to so many others

I would have hoped that the likes of Fergie could have handled him differently and got more out of him for club and country - I'm not sure England have had such player in that role since and what we saw was great, yet still feel it was not for long enough

He wasn't the first and he won't be the last to go down such a route
    Good post Mark 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    edited October 2019
    phil_b said:
    munckee said:

I'd imagine the poor woman was upset and terrified.  She'd already been insulted by someone else, then some weird drunken toothless bloke kisses her on the lips to "boost her confidence".  He may have meant well but it's pretty much the same as punching someone, psychologically.

Imagine it was some random drunk rather than Paul Gascoigne.  The CPS might not have bothered pursuing the case were it not for the celebrity element, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4913
    Cleared on both charges now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50068077

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    phil_b said:
    munckee said:

I'd imagine the poor woman was upset and terrified.  She'd already been insulted by someone else, then some weird drunken toothless bloke kisses her on the lips to "boost her confidence".  He may have meant well but it's pretty much the same as punching someone, psychologically.

Imagine it was some random drunk rather than Paul Gascoigne.  The CPS might not have bothered pursuing the case were it not for the celebrity element, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

sounds like someone else caused the real upset
  • Feel for Paul, and had 5 days with him and the England team at Bisham Abbey some years ago (I was coaching)...
    "Gazza, come on now. You're never going to get a decent tone using a DS-1". 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad about this.  Sounds like he behaved boorishly and deserved a word in his ear from plod,  but hardly a criminal.  Can't help but suspect this would never have got near a court if he had been an ordinary Joe.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom